greycheck
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I achieved ACC in ICT Maths and business
I should be predicted ABB OR A*BB
My first choice would be a finance based degree as I only did bad in 1 unit in maths (S1) which brought my grade down.
But if I dont do well in maths lets say a B
can I get into computer science in a good uni with ABB?
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
'Russell Group' is a marketing concept.

That is ALL. It doesnt mean 'better course', 'better Uni', and it certainly doesnt mean 'better teaching'. It doesn't mean 'You will enjoy that course more'. Nor does it mean 'better job' at the end of it.

Go and look at a range of Unis - you will quickly discover that the difference between RG and non-RG is meaningless in real terms. Parents and schools can be very silly about this - they havnt a clue about ' the other Unis' and just jump to conclusions about RG Unis.

Learn to think for yourself - its what 'going to Uni' is all about.
greycheck
Rep:
?
(Original post by returnmigrant)

That is ALL. It doesnt mean 'better course', 'better Uni', and it certainly doesnt mean 'better teaching'. It doesn't mean 'You will enjoy that course more'. Nor does it mean 'better job' at the end of it.

Go and look at a range of Unis - you will quickly discover that the difference between RG and non-RG is meaningless in real terms. Parents and schools can be very silly about this - they havnt a clue about ' the other Unis' and just jump to conclusions about RG Unis.

Yeah I understand I was thinking of City uni they required ABB an A in maths
But in place of Maths i got an A for ict. Will they at least consider my application?
BreakTheIce
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Do you not go to a Russel Group uni then?

(I joke I joke)
B-Whit
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by greycheck)
Yeah I understand I was thinking of City uni they required ABB an A in maths
But in place of Maths i got an A for ict. Will they at least consider my application?
You really need to get the specific requirements to be in with a fair shot of getting accepted... if they ask for an A in maths, then you need to have that as a target grade at least (even if you don't get this they may accept you anyway)
BreakTheIce
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I achieved ACC in ICT Maths and business
I should be predicted ABB OR A*BB
My first choice would be a finance based degree as I only did bad in 1 unit in maths (S1) which brought my grade down.
But if I dont do well in maths lets say a B
can I get into computer science in a good uni with ABB?
Yes of course you have a chance. Make sure you pick a university which you can meet the standard offer for - and work hard - don't get complacent if your teachers predict you to go a grade up - you're gonna have your work cut out if you wanna get grades you're proud of

The key to getting offers in the first place, though, is making a good application. (Worry about the grades second). This means writing a banging personal statement and getting a good reference written for you - you can always help your teacher with this, highlighting what you have and haven't mentioned in your own statement to make sure you have lots to impress admissions tutors with
greycheck
Rep:
?
(Original post by BreakTheIce)
Yes of course you have a chance. Make sure you pick a university which you can meet the standard offer for - and work hard - don't get complacent if your teachers predict you to go a grade up - you're gonna have your work cut out if you wanna get grades you're proud of

The key to getting offers in the first place, though, is making a good application. (Worry about the grades second). This means writing a banging personal statement and getting a good reference written for you - you can always help your teacher with this, highlighting what you have and haven't mentioned in your own statement to make sure you have lots to impress admissions tutors with
Alright thank you! I heard some unis allow students in with lower grades than required due to a banging statement
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you don't meet the basic entry requirements in terms of subjects and grades, then do not apply.
If they want an A in Maths, its because the course needs an A in Maths, not an A in ICT.

If you apply to any Uni where you don't meet the essential criteria, you will get an automatic rejection before they have even looked at your PS.
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by BreakTheIce)
Do you not go to a Russel Group uni then?

(I joke I joke)
No, returnmigrant works in admissions at a Russell Group uni. And note the correct spelling!
greycheck
Rep:
?
If you don't meet the basic entry requirements in terms of subjects and grades, then do not apply.
If they want an A in Maths, its because they course needs an A in Maths, not an A in ICT.

If you apply to any Uni where you don't meet the essential criteria, you will get an automatic rejection before they have even looked at your PS.
Say for another course which required AAB But a B in maths which I will get and no other specific subjects. Do i still stand a chance?
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you meet the entry requirements and can write a convincing PS, then yes, you have as much chance of an offer as anyone else in the same situation.
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I heard some unis .....

Dont ever take any notice of 'I've heard' type stories.

Unis state subject and grade requirements for an academic reason. They do not substitute clever PS's instead.

Some applications at some Unis for some subjects may 'hold' applications that just miss grade predictions (but not essential subjects) to see if they can be made an offer after the January deadline. But anyone gambling on this deserves the rejections they will get. Because YOU will not know who/where the 'some' are. And neither will the Unis until January. So dont ever 'assume' you know or can guess this. Ever.

The advice is always :

1 high risk choice (above your predicted grades)
2/3 medium risk (at your predicted grades)
1/2 low risk (below your predicted grades).

Be aware that something astonishing like 55% of predicted grades are made too high - and Universities know this.
troubadour.
Badges: 18
Report 4 years ago
No, you can't.

Spoiler:
Show
Joke. Sure you can. Just get the grades and write a good personal statement.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (253)
34.05%
No (490)
65.95%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed