How to achieve at A2 Biology? Sucess stories?

Watch
tcameron
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
any tips?
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Tank Girl)
x
Biochemist1
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Got 1 mark into a B at AS, and an A* overall.

Memorise all the content, go through all the past papers multiple times and recognise how to answer the questions. Emphasis on the latter, exam technique is extremely important and why I got a B at AS.
tcameron
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Biochemist1)

Memorise all the content, go through all the past papers multiple times and recognise how to answer the questions. Emphasis on the latter, exam technique is extremely important and why I got a B at AS.
Thank you, I was a couple marks into a B aswell for my AS. I feel I didn't leave enough time to memories everything, especially for the second paper which really brought my ums marks down...
Did you start revision from September?
JennyMoorcroft
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

I got a B at AS which I'm disappointed with as I was expecting an A (7 marks off) , I really want to try and achieve an A* at A Level, did you have to retake and modules for AS.
Cpj16
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

hey i got an A 243/300 Ums how can i convert this into an A* what percage do i need to achieve to get an A*
also if you could tell me your ums marks for f214,5,6 that would be much appreciated

thanks and WELL DONE!!
Covington4
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Wow well done! Hopefully this will be me this time next year haha, I got 2 marks into a B for AS, hoping to bump it up. Did you retake any units?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Biochemist1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tcameron)
Thank you, I was a couple marks into a B aswell for my AS. I feel I didn't leave enough time to memories everything, especially for the second paper which really brought my ums marks down...
Did you start revision from September?
No, if I'm honest, the first couple modules (communication and homeostasis and metabolism/ photosynthesis) of A2 I found to be massively more difficult than AS so I kind of gave up on them a little. Only once I got the prediction of an A around late October did I start doing any extra work, but mainly just going through online tutorial type things. I started proper revision, such as papers, a week before my mock January exams to see how I would do.

My college did provide module question booklets with a lot of relevant questions in that we had to answer and give in, so I suppose that was some forced revision from September, but revision from the beginning is not really necessary unless you're confused with the content.
Biochemist1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by JennyMoorcroft)
I got a B at AS which I'm disappointed with as I was expecting an A (7 marks off) , I really want to try and achieve an A* at A Level, did you have to retake and modules for AS.
I retook the large exam from AS as I only needed an A so wanted the extra UMS to come from an exam that would require less effort to do well in.

If you want an A*, you need an average of 80% over the A level and 90% average in A2 modules, so just focus on getting 90% in A2, no retakes are needed as if you get over 90% in A2 as you'll get an average higher than 80% in the whole A level.

^Poorly worded but so many people think you need an A in AS to get an A* and that is not true at all. I would've received an A* regardless of whether I retook the AS exam, I just took it to make me more likely to receive an A.
Biochemist1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ben4)
Wow well done! Hopefully this will be me this time next year haha, I got 2 marks into a B for AS, hoping to bump it up. Did you retake any units?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, first year I got 2 Cs in the exams and an A in the coursework. I retook the second exam and got 100% UMS bringing my AS grade up to an A
Biochemist1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Cpj16)
hey i got an A 243/300 Ums how can i convert this into an A* what percage do i need to achieve to get an A*
also if you could tell me your ums marks for f214,5,6 that would be much appreciated

thanks and WELL DONE!!
You just need to get 90% average in your A2 so 270/300. Your AS grade would only influence the percentage needed to get an A* if you had below a B at AS.

f214: 72/90 (if you do this past paper, it was extremely hard)
f215: 57/60
f216: 150/150

A2: 279/300

I'm not 100% sure on which number corresponds to each exam/coursework but above the first is the jan paper, the second is the coursework and the third in the june paper
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (61)
29.33%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
7.21%
No I am happy with my choice (116)
55.77%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (16)
7.69%

Watched Threads