The Student Room Group

A2 English Literature_King Lear

Please can someone recommend the best 'King Lear' revision guide they know of?
Also, the best 'Measure for meausre' (Shakespeare) revision guide/web sources?
Thanks.
Original post by roosters4sale
Please can someone recommend the best 'King Lear' revision guide they know of?
Also, the best 'Measure for meausre' (Shakespeare) revision guide/web sources?
Thanks.

I studied Lear for A2 last year along with 'Burial at Thebes' in a synoptic module.

No Fear Shakespeare is decent for simply understanding the text a lot better.
What is your specification on? As in, what aspect of Lear are you studying?
A.C Bradley's lectures are very useful, as are Fintan O'Toole's essays (one is 'Shakespeare is Hard, but so is life' and the other is 'At the Zero Hour' or something to that effect). Erm I found York Notes A2 Shakespeare decent enough but only for really filling in the gaps. A2 Lit is about arguments and nothing matched O'Toole or Bradley's style of writing or argumentation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
]I studied Lear for A2 last year along with 'Burial at Thebes' in a synoptic module.

A.C Bradley's lectures are very useful, as are Fintan O'Toole's essays (one is 'Shakespeare is Hard, but so is life' and the other is 'At the Zero Hour' or something to that effect). Erm I found York Notes A2 Shakespeare decent enough but only for really filling in the gaps. A2 Lit is about arguments and nothing matched O'Toole or Bradley's style of writing or argumentation.

Thank you for that, that's very helpful! :-) I'm yet to begin the A2 course so I'm not sure which aspect of Lear I'm studying but the spec is edexcel if that helps? I know that the exam essay for Lear last year (edexcel) was about the Fool's role in the play.
Original post by roosters4sale
]I studied Lear for A2 last year along with 'Burial at Thebes' in a synoptic module.

Thank you for that, that's very helpful! :-) I'm yet to begin the A2 course so I'm not sure which aspect of Lear I'm studying but the spec is edexcel if that helps? I know that the exam essay for Lear last year (edexcel) was about the Fool's role in the play.

I did my exam with CCEA. Our questions were only focused really on either the nature of tragedy or the role of the tragic hero so characters like the Fool/ Gloucester weren't as pertinent. However, those essays should give you a good understanding regardless and I think they include the role of the Fool possibly. If not, try York Notes which will have a few things on some of the minor characters.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending