The Student Room Group

AS/A2 different content? Help?

So I understand due to the new reforms you have to decide whether to take AS or A2 at the beginning of the 2 years, right?

..so does that mean the content is different.. so for example:

Person A: Chose to study AS for a subject at the start and not continue on to A2.

Person B: Chose to study all the way to A2 for a subject at the start/

As far as AS go (A2 is irrelevant), is the content the same for someone choosing to do just AS and for someone, in the first year of course, to go onto A2 also?
Original post by ihannah1998
So I understand due to the new reforms you have to decide whether to take AS or A2 at the beginning of the 2 years, right?

..so does that mean the content is different.. so for example:

Person A: Chose to study AS for a subject at the start and not continue on to A2.

Person B: Chose to study all the way to A2 for a subject at the start/

As far as AS go (A2 is irrelevant), is the content the same for someone choosing to do just AS and for someone, in the first year of course, to go onto A2 also?

Most reformed A levels have been designed so that AS-only and full A level students can be taught together in year 12, all of the AS content is needed in the full A level. Once the AS content has been taught it is likely that full A level students will continue their study in year 12 while AS students just prepare for their AS exams. As a result it may not be possible for AS students to change their minds in year 13. Many teachers are sceptical of this being a practical approach, time will tell. Not all schools are making students chose which subject is an AS and will sit AS in all subjects and choose 3 to carry on with just as they do now. Some are making students decide around Xmas which subject they will either drop entirely or possibly complete an AS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by gdunne42
Most reformed A levels have been designed so that AS-only and full A level students can be taught together in year 12, all of the AS content is needed in the full A level. Once the AS content has been taught it is likely that full A level students will continue their study in year 12 while AS students just prepare for their AS exams. As a result it may not be possible for AS students to change their minds in year 13. Many teachers are sceptical of this being a practical approach, time will tell. Not all schools are making students chose which subject is an AS and will sit AS in all subjects and choose 3 to carry on with just as they do now. Some are making students decide around Xmas which subject they will either drop entirely or possibly complete an AS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you very much, very useful reply however, if that's the case then..

..why should I have to choose what subjects I want to do at AS/A2 now? Shouldn't that then be decided at the end of AS?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by ihannah1997

..why should I have to choose what subjects I want to do at AS/A2 now? Shouldn't that then be decided at the end of AS?

I'm not sure why you'd have to choose right now. The entries for AS exams have to be made in early February. If you are only being entered for the subject you are dropping then you would have to decide by then.

The new A levels are linear so some schools will only let you take an AS if you are dropping it at the end of Year 12. The new AS exams don't contribute to your A level grade at all so some see the expense of entering you for them as pointless.

The simple answer is that you have to because considering both the needs of the school and what's best for their pupils that's what your school has decided is the best way to implement the reforms.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest