AS Edexcel Biology- how did you find it? Watch

This discussion is closed.
the_wizzz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Just done the AS Bio...thought it was OK until Module 3...out of all the questions, the ones I didnt revise had to come up

How did you guys find them?
Ramaya
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by the_wizzz)
Just done the AS Bio...thought it was OK until Module 3...out of all the questions, the ones I didnt revise had to come up

How did you guys find them?
I liked unit 2! I knew almost all the answers which was good. Unit 3 was a bit broad for the answers. I dunno how i did on that, but it was simple, even though nothing on the nitrogen cycle came up! Grr i revised that alot.
Hash
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It went quite well for me (...I think).

I thought unit 3 was ridiculous, there wasn't all that biology involved- just common sense.

p.s. is tissue fluid carried in vessels? i put no, but then agin, it is carried in lymphatic capillaries.
Hash
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Ramaya)
I liked unit 2! I knew almost all the answers which was good. Unit 3 was a bit broad for the answers. I dunno how i did on that, but it was simple, even though nothing on the nitrogen cycle came up! Grr i revised that alot.
Well.. Rhizobium came up...
Ramaya
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Hash)
It went quite well for me (...I think).

I thought unit 3 was ridiculous, there wasn't all that biology involved- just common sense.

p.s. is tissue fluid carried in vessels? i put no, but then agin, it is carried in lymphatic capillaries.
I agree! It was hardly biology, it was more similar to geography!
I think i put yes for it being carried in vessels. This is where i went wrong i think. The other one was about blood plasma but i cant remember the other parts in the table...
Ramaya
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Hash)
Well.. Rhizobium came up...
Yeh thats true, but it was a tiny bit of it. And no saprobiontic/parasitic nutrition - although mutalistic..
the_wizzz
Rep:
?
What dfid u write for the ruminant Q?
Hash
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I agree! It was hardly biology, it was more similar to geography!
I think i put yes for it being carried in vessels. This is where i went wrong i think. The other one was about blood plasma but i cant remember the other parts in the table...

(if you want to know) the other parts were antibodies, and low hydrostatic pressure.

I put plasma has high hydrostatic pressure (so a cross), and tissue fluid has low hydrostatic pressure. Is that right? I'm really unsure.
Ramaya
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The question that said how does it digest cellulose? Or another one? For that i put it has microbes in its rumen which produce cellulase to digest it.
Hash
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
cellulose passes into rumen, digested by cellulose digesting bacteria, then regurgitated and re-chewed.
meawinner
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I thought it was harder than in past years. The module 1 was fine but when it came to module 2 the stuff i hadnt revised came up like FSH and hormones. Also was the question on protein synthesis was translation right? coz its easy to mix that and transcription up.

Module 3 was not geography, i said to my m8 who does both subjs that i wish more of deforestation and the water cycle had come up coz thats real geography and its easy.

Btw does n e 1know the grade boundaries in general coz i always thought they were 80% for most subjects but when we went over past papers an A was sometimes 70%.
Ramaya
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Hash)
(if you want to know) the other parts were antibodies, and low hydrostatic pressure.

I put plasma has high hydrostatic pressure (so a cross), and tissue fluid has low hydrostatic pressure. Is that right? I'm really unsure.
Yeh i put that too! Because plasma has to be pushed around the bosy... or something like that.
the_wizzz
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hash)
cellulose passes into rumen, digested by cellulose digesting bacteria, then regurgitated and re-chewed.
Did you need to write anything about chewing?

I also wrote low hydro pressure and a tick,cross for the first 1...cannot remember wht it was

Also, whats the chemical reaction for mRNA?
Hash
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by meawinner)
I thought it was harder than in past years. The module 1 was fine but when it came to module 2 the stuff i hadnt revised came up like FSH and hormones. Also was the question on protein synthesis was translation right? coz its easy to mix that and transcription up.

Module 3 was not geography, i said to my m8 who does both subjs that i wish more of deforestation and the water cycle had come up coz thats real geography and its easy.

Btw does n e 1know the grade boundaries in general coz i always thought they were 80% for most subjects but when we went over past papers an A was sometimes 70%.
last year:

unit 1: 41/60
unit 2: 36/60
unit 3: 48/70 (this includes coursework)
Hash
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Did you need to write anything about chewing?

I also wrote low hydro pressure and a tick,cross for the first 1...cannot remember wht it was

Also, whats the chemical reaction for mRNA?
i doubt u need to write about chewing, but i put it down just in case. It was a 3 mark question, so the third mark has to come from somewhere.
Ramaya
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by meawinner)

I thought the structure was more similar to geography than biology personally. Especially after doing unit 2. The grade boundry is generally 80% i think for an A.
Hash
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I thought the structure was more similar to geography than biology personally. Especially after doing unit 2. The grade boundry is generally 80% i think for an A.
80% is when the marks have been standardised... (i.e. top 15-20% of students will get an A, and then their raw marks will be scaled up to 80% and above)

the raw mark requirement last yr for an A was:
Ramaya
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Hash)
80% is when the marks have been standardised... (i.e. top 15-20% of students will get an A, and then their raw marks will be scaled up to 80% and above)

the raw mark requirement last yr for an A was:
ah that sounds so much better!
Hash
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
ah that sounds so much better!

It sure does btw, you went into the exam not knowing that?! :confused:
Ramaya
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Hash)
It sure does btw, you went into the exam not knowing that?! :confused:
Nah i knew it was worked out by the averages and everything, i wasn't aware that it was that low last time though.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?