English Literature AS

Watch this thread
LilyB123
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi, was just wondering if anyone else got low in English Lit at AS? I heard the examiners marked them all down this year. Sadly, I got a D but need to get a B so I am retaking. What would I need to get in both AS and A2 exams to get a B overall? do they combine both AS and A2 together to make one overall grade? Thanks!!!
KittyRe-playⅡ
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
Hey, which exam board did you do?
LilyB123
Rep:
(Original post by KittyRe-playⅡ)
Hey, which exam board did you do?
hey! the exam board was AQA
KittyRe-playⅡ
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by LilyB123)
hey! the exam board was AQA
Unfortunately I won't be able to help you out on that one because I did WJEC and my teacher advised me to get a remark so I will get that done. But as for the marks required, I'd suggest you go onto the AQA website and work it out based on UMS scores.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
What would I need to get in both AS and A2 exams to get a B overall? do they combine both AS and A2 together to make one overall grade? Thanks!!!
The AS forms 50% of the A2. You need 280/400 overall for a B.
paddy999
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Hi, was just wondering if anyone else got low in English Lit at AS? I heard the examiners marked them all down this year. Sadly, I got a D but need to get a B so I am retaking. What would I need to get in both AS and A2 exams to get a B overall? do they combine both AS and A2 together to make one overall grade? Thanks!!!
Hi, I was predicted a B in AS literature and so were all of my class. After getting B's on my mock exams I received a D grade (being only one mark off a C). I am getting my remarked. Your right about the examiners because only one person in my class got a C grade. The rest of got D'S and E's.
LilyB123
Rep:
(Original post by Compost)
The AS forms 50% of the A2. You need 280/400 overall for a B.
Thankyou! is the 280 for both as and a2? so 140 on each?
LilyB123
Rep:
(Original post by paddy999)
Hi, I was predicted a B in AS literature and so were all of my class. After getting B's on my mock exams I received a D grade (being only one mark off a C). I am getting my remarked. Your right about the examiners because only one person in my class got a C grade. The rest of got D'S and E's.
That is the exact same for me! I done well in mocks but D in the real thing are you retaking? and what books were you doing and are doing now?
Big Blue Machine
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
AQA A or B?

I can help you with A, did well in my exam (96.66%)

It's totally achievable to get an amazing grade with hard work.
LilyB123
Rep:
(Original post by Big Blue Machine)
AQA A or B?

I can help you with A, did well in my exam (96.66%)

It's totally achievable to get an amazing grade with hard work.
AQA B

For AS the exam was on The Kite Runner, The Great Gatsby and Tennyson/Browning Poetry. However for A2 I am doing Frankenstein, Macbeth and The Bloody Chamber.

Well done on your result
paddy999
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
That is the exact same for me! I done well in mocks but D in the real thing are you retaking? and what books were you doing and are doing now?
Can you retake? Just because of the new AS changes I thought we couldn't resit because our exam board will not be available next year. Are you getting your paper remarked? We studied The Kite Runner, The Great Gatsby and Browning and Tennyson poetry wbu?
Big Blue Machine
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
AQA B

For AS the exam was on The Kite Runner, The Great Gatsby and Tennyson/Browning Poetry. However for A2 I am doing Frankenstein, Macbeth and The Bloody Chamber.

Well done on your result
Sorry I did A!

Your course sounds SO MUCH MORE INTERESTING THAN MINE.
LilyB123
Rep:
(Original post by Big Blue Machine)
Sorry I did A!

Your course sounds SO MUCH MORE INTERESTING THAN MINE.
It really isn't hun!!!!! lol
Lkathryn08
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
AQA B

Well done on your result
I did AQA B and the majority of my class ended up with Ds, Es and Us and this year I and a lot of my class ended up with A grades and the rest were Bs.
A lot of that exam is based on exam technique and we were not aware of this last year. I took the AS exam first time and got an E and it got remarked and stayed the same. The problem was that we didn't know how to answer the questions, the first question follows a structure where you must talk about each different aspect of narrative and the part B of section A you must not just randomly reference context to just get it out of the way, I did Rime of the Ancient Mariner for section in my first take and my resist but for the part B I based my whole argument around the context. When we got the papers back the section scored poorly because most of us didn't understand the difference between theme and motif, as the question focused on this and a lot of what we identified they classed as themes rather than motifs which was confusing and the other question was about opening sentences and there was no way I was going to attempt that one. This time I answered the question on structural divisions and talked about there impact on the text and the narrative as a whole and how it related to the writers concerns. This time I received a high A in the exam. I did the same texts as you will be doing for A2! I loved all of these texts and if you like the gothic you will probably enjoy this year and the exam is much easier, apart from learning quotes there's no tricky exam technique to trick you and mean you get a low grade. The low grades in the AS exam seem to be common! I thought a B would be impossible in English this year considering last year and how subjective it appears to be but you can probably still get an A grade at the end of this year if you learn the exam technique of the horrible AS exam!
Sorry for the essay but I know how you feel as I was in that position last year.
Hope this helps!
Compost
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Thankyou! is the 280 for both as and a2? so 140 on each?
The split doesn't matter, you just need at least 280 in total.

Despite what a poster has said, it is possible to re-sit next year.
LilyB123
Rep:
Hey, thankyou so much for your reply! That really has made me feel better. Did you retake your AS exam or just leave yourself with the D at AS and just work loads on your A2? Did you come out with an A overall this year then or a B? Sounds like you done amazing anyway.
Yeah you're so right with the structure of how to answer each section, it was so tricky. I'm stuck on whether to retake the AS exam again or just stick with the D? As I know the boards are changing and not too sure whether I can actually retake it or whether I would have to start afresh, If that is the case I won't bother retaking !

Posted from TSR Mobile
fatenrahman
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Most of my class got E's and I was lucky enough (haha) to get a D last year doing AQA English Literature. Overall though, I managed to get a B by redoing the coursework from last year.

I would suggest just re-doing the coursework as re-studying the exam texts will take a lot of your time.
LilyB123
Rep:
(Original post by fatenrahman)
Most of my class got E's and I was lucky enough (haha) to get a D last year doing AQA English Literature. Overall though, I managed to get a B by redoing the coursework from last year.

I would suggest just re-doing the coursework as re-studying the exam texts will take a lot of your time.
Hey, I got an E in the exam and a C in the coursework and got an overall D. If I got my coursework up at an A, what would my grade be overall?

Posted from TSR Mobile
fatenrahman
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Hey, I got an E in the exam and a C in the coursework and got an overall D. If I got my coursework up at an A, what would my grade be overall?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It depends really, but you could be looking at a C for AS.
drriversong
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
This post has put me off taking English Lit for AS-Level now
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (57)
16.57%
The paper was reasonable (169)
49.13%
Not feeling great about that exam... (83)
24.13%
It was TERRIBLE (35)
10.17%

Watched Threads