Grammar Vs. Comprehensive Schools on an Academic Level

Watch
PowerHotmail
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey guys,

I recently signed up because I've seen this place appear quite a few times, and I thought the community was awesome and was hoping you could open the light for some of my enquiries.

We're currently approaching the end of the Summer Holidays, and I'm going to be entering year 9. Which, well makes my question, kind of "2 years late".

So anyways, enough with the introduction.

I am quite an able student, not to boast/brag. And I am consistently the person who is, well, getting the highest levels/grades.

I am fully aware that Grammar schools require a series of exams called "11+". I should know, since I sat them. In the tests, I last remember, I got a mark of 213. And a school, called "Bishop Vesey", a grammar school, had a requirement of 212 marks. I didn't however get a place unfortunately.

I am currently in a topcomprehensive school in my country/city (Birmingham), which was in the past, a grammar school. It also got a new building upgrade, with around 37 million pounds spent on the new building. Like I said before, I am one of the smartest people in my year group.

Now, my main question. What is the major differences between a grammar school and a comprehensive school on an academiclevel (I'm not sure if my use of academic is correct)?

What I mean by that, is, if I went to a grammar school, would I get better grades? More chances for me to go into my dream university, Oxbridge? Better job opportunities, and more knowledge overall?

I've heard that the only differences is that grammar school just gives you things like more homework and try to push you harder than a comprehensive. Is this true?

Thanks in advance!
PowerHotmail
Rep:
?
Does anyone have any experience in both schools and could you notice a major difference?
ombtom
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I go to a grammar school. The average GCSE grades are higher here than at the local comprehensive schools, but the selective entrance requirements play a significant part. Yes, you will probably be pushed harder in most grammar schools, but remember that every school is different; there are probably comprehensive schools with better teaching methods than some grammar schools.

Oxbridge will consider your grades relative to your school's average; they will not be biased towards a student from a grammar or comprehensive school based simply upon the title.

+You have remarkable grammar for a year 9.
PowerHotmail
Rep:
?
(Original post by ombtom)
I go to a grammar school. The average GCSE grades are higher here than at the local comprehensive schools, but the selective entrance requirements play a significant part. Yes, you will probably be pushed harder in most grammar schools, but remember that every school is different; there are probably comprehensive schools with better teaching methods than some grammar schools.

Oxbridge will consider your grades relative to your school's average; they will not be biased towards a student from a grammar or comprehensive school based simply upon the title.

+You have remarkable grammar for a year 9.
Thanks for the reply!

I previously mentioned that my school was a grammar school before. Do you think it might have retained some of the old teaching methods from it's grammar past?

I would try to find out myself. But it's the only secondary school I've been to, I'm afraid.

I would also like to ask, if I revise, for around 1-2 hours a day/2 days, would I match the people at grammar school, or at least the expectations?

Yeah, with my grammar.. :P I am quite mature for my age compared to others, and having a programming past, and having professional chats with others has improved my grammar quite a lot. :P
ombtom
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by PowerHotmail)
I previously mentioned that my school was a grammar school before. Do you think it might have retained some of the old teaching methods from it's grammar past?
If it changed recently, then it's likely to have much the same values as before (unless there was a new headmaster who fired every teacher or something similarly drastic).

I would also like to ask, if I revise, for around 1-2 hours a day/2 days, would I match the people at grammar school, or at least the expectations?
Simple answer: everyone's different! There are people who don't revise at all and people who never stop. My school doesn't seem to have a specific number of hours expected; exam results are more important. (Time spent revising isn't always proportional to grades.)

Yeah, with my grammar.. :P I am quite mature for my age compared to others, and having a programming past, and having professional chats with others has improved my grammar quite a lot. :P
Programming and communication are great skills; keep practising.
PowerHotmail
Rep:
?
(Original post by ombtom)
If it changed recently, then it's likely to have much the same values as before (unless there was a new headmaster who fired every teacher or something similarly drastic).

Simple answer: everyone's different! There are people who don't revise at all and people who never stop. My school doesn't seem to have a specific number of hours expected; exam results are more important. (Time spent revising isn't always proportional to grades.)

Programming and communication are great skills; keep practising.
Thanks for your answers! That cleared up a lot and I'm not going to worry now.. :P
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (158)
59.62%
I don't have everything I need (107)
40.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise