Can being "gay" be a phase?

Watch
bluemadhatter
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm not saying being gay is a phase because I know plenty of people who are very sure of their sexuality but can it be a phase with certain people? Like I was telling my cousin how I am starting to see girls how I see guys and that I wouldn't mind having a girlfriend or experimenting with a girl. And then said I think that I am "bisexual" and I also told one of my friends and they both said its probably a "phase". My cousin told me that she was "bisexual" for a couple months and then she "got over it" and now she can only see herself with a guy. So I was just wondering can being gay/bisexual be a phase for some people?
jido
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Don't know, but if you go in phases I would call you "bisexual".
tailred
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by bluemadhatter)
I'm not saying being gay is a phase because I know plenty of people who are very sure of their sexuality but can it be a phase with certain people? Like I was telling my cousin how I am starting to see girls how I see guys and that I wouldn't mind having a girlfriend or experimenting with a girl. And then said I think that I am "bisexual" and I also told one of my friends and they both said its probably a "phase". My cousin told me that she was "bisexual" for a couple months and then she "got over it" and now she can only see herself with a guy. So I was just wondering can being gay/bisexual be a phase for some people?
I don't think so. sexuality is not something that rationality take place in, it is innate, with you from birth. you are either one, another or both. I don't think you should describe being gay as a 'phase' I find that a bit insulting and I am not even gay. Maybe you are bisexual if you actually get horny over girl and not just view them as pretty or hot.
shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
well here you're talking about bisexuality, and imo if you declare it you live with it forever even if you don't end up in a same-sex partnership/marriage
Drunk Punx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd call it being sexually experimental/curious.
Calling it a "phase" not only seems childish, but also seems to come from people who hold traditionalist views that have been offended by said experimentation. Even if it was meant with good intent, it can often come across as if you're putting someone down and not taking them seriously.
+ polarity -
Badges: 21
Report 5 years ago
I don't see why not
BefuddledPenguin
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A lot of bisexuals are quite fluid in their sexuality, floating up and down the kinsey scale, but ultimately that, by definition, means that they remain bisexual, it isn't a phase they remain within the spectrum rather than on an edge. I'm bi, I've had periods when I thought I was straight, and periods in which I thought I was gay, typically this correlates with current infatuations.
driftawaay
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I still find it hard to understand/relate to how people dont know their sexuality. If you want to ****/have a relationship with men only, you are straight. If you want to ****/have relationships with women only, you are gay. If you want to do it with both, you are bisexual thats all there is to it.
Rorschach II
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It may very well be for some people.

I find it silly when people say for example bisexuality is just a phase for everyone, but again, the opposite is true; to consider it not a phase, when there's over 7 billion of us, seems a tad silly to me. But the first one generally seems to be the case.

There's also the possobility of something called a fluid sexuality, where it changes over time.
RainbowKiwi
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by driftawaay)
I still find it hard to understand/relate to how people dont know their sexuality. If you want to ****/have a relationship with men only, you are straight. If you want to ****/have relationships with women only, you are gay. If you want to do it with both, you are bisexual thats all there is to it.
PRSOM. Came here to say this. I didn't think people could be so confused smh.
picklescamp
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think it's possible but that's why I don't think labels are necessary. I have lots of friends who don't say they're gay/straight/bi but have experiences which would suggest one of the three. I have a friend who dated a girl for 2 years but is now gay as well. It's all part of finding yourself.
ivybridge
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Feeling like you may be gay and actually BEING gay are not the same thing. If you come out as gay when you are experimental and unsure, you're stupid.
kingdoo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Depends on age in my opinion. At a younger age then yes I think it can be a 'phase' or 'experimentation' whatever you like to call it. While this never happened to me and I have always identified as 'gay' I do believe at a younger age it can be a 'phase.'

I also believe that if you are bisexual you are going to be more 1 or the other which is sort of like attraction to different traits and physical appearances. For example, at the moment I prefer guys with blond hair like me, that could change however in the future.

Same goes with attractiveness to the same/opposite sex if you are bisexual you may have during one period of time a grave attraction to the same sex but at another point you may be attractive more to the opposite sex. This is because while sexuality is quite rigid, attractiveness can be very fluid but it does not change your actual sexuality.

Although this is just my opinion.
earthworm
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Some people experiment when they are young, lots of people i know did. I wouldnt confine your self to any sexuality till you know.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (413)
56.42%
I don't have everything I need (319)
43.58%

Watched Threads