Is AS Futher Maths worth it in Year 13 ? Watch

Dazzyayan
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey,

I can't decide whether or not to study AS FM this year in order to improve my university application. I want to study either Physics or Electronic Engineering and I am considering applying to Imperial and UCL and other universities. I got AAAB in AS this year (AAA Physics Maths Chemistry, B Economics) and I should be predicted A*A*A.
If I do decide to study AS FM I would have to study it outside of my school in my own time. Would studying AS FM help my application to these universities significantly? I know that it will be a big work load increase with three extra modules to study and it may risk my performance in my main subjects.
Should I study AS FM ?
ombtom
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Dazzyayan)
Hey,

I can't decide whether or not to study AS FM this year in order to improve my university application. I want to study either Physics or Electronic Engineering and I am considering applying to Imperial and UCL and other universities. I got AAAB in AS this year (AAA Physics Maths Chemistry, B Economics) and I should be predicted A*A*A.
If I do decide to study AS FM I would have to study it outside of my school in my own time. Would studying AS FM help my application to these universities significantly? I know that it will be a big work load increase with three extra modules to study and it may risk my performance in my main subjects.
Should I study AS FM ?
I'm going to do it, and I'm sure many others will too. It's usually listed as "helpful" or "recommended" for physics courses, which to me means "necessary" for a strong application.
Dazzyayan
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
The requirements regarding physics and engineering are always vague regarding whether FM is required or not so FM may be required to make a competitive application I guess
Zayce
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you want to go to top unis ( Oxbridge, LSE, etc.) and the field is math-oriented then yeah, FM is essential
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgrad open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (275)
65.63%
No (144)
34.37%

Watched Threads