The Student Room Group

A-level options for optometrist or medicine courses

Hi,

For my A-levels I have picked; Biology, Chemistry, English Language and BTEC Medical Science.

I either want to become an optometrist, dentist, internist, neurologist or GP.

Do you think picking BTEC Medical Science is appropriate for the following courses mentioned above?

Thank you for your help.
Original post by oni176
Hi,

For my A-levels I have picked; Biology, Chemistry, English Language and BTEC Medical Science.

Do you think picking BTEC Medical Science is appropriate for the following courses mentioned above?

Thank you for your help.

To me I would say it wouldn't be appropriate as you re already studying science a levels so would swap it for another subject.
Original post by oni176
Hi,

Thank you for your help.

Do another AS level instead.
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle
To me I would say it wouldn't be appropriate as you re already studying science a levels so would swap it for another subject.

What subject would you recommend if you would like to be part of health care services, medicine?
Original post by oni176
What subject would you recommend if you would like to be part of health care services, medicine?

If you want to be a doctor yes but there's many different roles in healthcare so it really depends on what area you want to go into and what you want to be doing with patients
Reply 5
Original post by oni176
Hi,

Thank you for your help.

Maths would be really useful.
If not, then try to do another AS level.
Reply 6
If you want to be a doctor yes but there's many different roles in healthcare so it really depends on what area you want to go into and what you want to be doing with patients

Yeah, I want to become a doctor, a neurologist. There are many options that I am also considering such as; dentistry, optometrist, internist, audiologist etc.

Overall, in order for me to study one of those following courses that I have named above, do you think BTEC Medical Science would be appropriate?
Original post by Windies

No it wouldn't. S/he should do maths if s/he wants to, but it won't be more useful or advantageous.
Reply 8
Original post by Windies

Yeah, I am aware that Maths is very useful but because I've achieved a B grade in Mathematics, and my sixth form wants an A grade, they told me that they need to speak to the staff and make a decision whether the course is applicable for me.

I am just thinking if BTEC Medical Science would be appropriate, if the Maths Department comes up with the conclusion that they wouldn't accept me taking Maths at AS/A Level.

What other AS level would you recommend?
Original post by oni176
Yeah, I want to become a doctor, a neurologist. There are many options that I am also considering such as; dentistry, optometrist, internist, audiologist etc.

Overall, in order for me to study one of those following courses that I have named above, do you think BTEC Medical Science would be appropriate?

Generally it d be more appropriate to do science a levels for any of those options really rather than a btec. I d say medical science might be accepted for entry for nursing/ot/physio but possibly not other health profession degrees.
Reply 10
Generally it d be more appropriate to do science a levels for any of those options really rather than a btec. I d say medical science might be accepted for entry for nursing/ot/physio but possibly not other health profession degrees.

Thank you :smile: I'm taking Biology and Chemistry at AS/A Level already. Any other AS/A Level you would recommend other than BTEC Medical Science?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Windies

I agree. Maths would be useful for most of the courses you are interested in.
I would drop the btec though.
Reply 12
Original post by Emma:-)
I agree. Maths would be useful for most of the courses you are interested in.
I would drop the btec though.

I want to do Maths as well, but I achieved a B grade in Mathematics and my Sixth form would prefer an A grade. They said to me that they'll have to speak to the member of staff and make a conclusion of whether it is applicable for me to study this course at AS/ A Level when I start school tomorrow.

What other AS/ A Level would you recommend other than Biology, Chemistry and English Language (these are the ones I'm taking for AS/A Level).
Original post by oni176
I want to do Maths as well, but I achieved a B grade in Mathematics and my Sixth form would prefer an A grade. They said to me that they'll have to speak to the member of staff and make a conclusion of whether it is applicable for me to study this course at AS/ A Level when I start school tomorrow.

What other AS/ A Level would you recommend other than Biology, Chemistry and English Language (these are the ones I'm taking for AS/A Level).

Physics or psychology could be possibilities.

Quick Reply