Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Uni for geography? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Im doing my a levels and im going to do Geography with spanish at Swansea, geography is a great subject to do because it is so diverse, as you can study both physical and human geography...i think saying it is a mickey mouse subject is very narrow minded....the only jobs that you probably can not get in to from doing a geography at uni are say science based jobs etc. From doing geography you can go into tourism to management and even politics. Geography provides a very wide and diverse base for all students in there first year and then you can narrow down and concenration on specific areas in your 2nd and 3rd year. I think that doing a good solid humanity or science subject with a language is the best way to go.

Susi x

ReputationRep:
    I still maintain that the geography department at Oxford is a dump. The entrance hall may be gorgeous with oak panelling etc. but the actual classrooms are tiny, the lecture theatres are falling apart and the people I saw wouldn't give me the time of day - and that's on an open day fer crying out loud. If you can't pretend to be friendly then, when can you?

Bristol aren't ******s either :rolleyes: I found the department very welcoming, great courses on offer - especially their unique, first-in-the-country MSci course - and challenging. Just because they appear to be discriminatory doesn't mean they're bad - everyone discriminates, simply because they want the best candidates, and the government pressurises them into widening access to include thickos.

As to "Only a small proportion land jobs at top companies" - ever thought that a tiny proportion of graduate students land jobs at top companies straight off in all subjects? It should be taken into consideration that the numbers of people now going to university has risen hugely - with the advent of Mickey Mouse subjects - so the proportion will be tiny!

Geography is a very academic subject, it is ridiculed simply because of the diversity of it - it covers near enough everything somewhere, eventually. Personally, I love it's diversity, it's one of the things that attracted me to it throughout my school life. It's opened my eyes to the world and many more issues than I would have ever encountered elsewhere in my studies. I don't think it can be called vocational at all...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Susi)
    Im doing my a levels and im going to do Geography with spanish at Swansea, geography is a great subject to do because it is so diverse, as you can study both physical and human geography...i think saying it is a mickey mouse subject is very narrow minded....the only jobs that you probably can not get in to from doing a geography at uni are say science based jobs etc. From doing geography you can go into tourism to management and even politics. Geography provides a very wide and diverse base for all students etc etc
    You're still doing your A Levels, I've applied to over 60 blue chip firms, and thus know how difficult it is these days to land a top job doing a Geography degree unless you have other credentials. Yes it is narrow minded to consider Geog as mickey mouse, but that's how it is widely perceived these days, by peers (though as previously discussed this is possibly only at the more academic unis) and employers alike. They don't appreciate that it encompasses statistical analysis, literary critique etc.
    (Original post by Meghan)
    As to "Only a small proportion land jobs at top companies" - ever thought that a tiny proportion of graduate students land jobs at top companies straight off in all subjects? It should be taken into consideration that the numbers of people now going to university has risen hugely - with the advent of Mickey Mouse subjects - so the proportion will be tiny!
    I was referring to my uni, where people doing arts subjects with similar workload like English, History and Classics have had a lot more luck in applying for jobs. The number of penultimate year Geographers who landed summer internships is in single figures, out of a year of 100, compared to almost half those doing Economics & Management. So many Geographers who just finished their degree are now going into temping - not out of choice - whilst counterparts across the board have got what they wanted jobswise.

ReputationRep:
    if they wanted to do law say, wouldnt they just go onto do the law conversion, not temping?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emzie)
    if they wanted to do law say, wouldnt they just go onto do the law conversion, not temping?
    Yep. Well, unless they didn't land a training contract, have no cash for the expensive LPC/CPE and spend a year earning cash for it.

Emzie - Law's one of few disciplines where it doesn't matter what subject you did, S&M was full of Classicists, Arch&Anth etc. You should have no problems getting a training contract with BA Geog (Oxon), but to hit the magic circle you'll really need to stand out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophetta)
    I'm not actually doing geography at uni purely so I am able to get a good job at the end of it- i'm doing it because its the subject i'm most interested in. I think when people **** off your subject as being mickey mouse they have to realise that there is more to life than your career prospects at the end of university.
    Nicely put. However I'd say that career prospects at the end of university are a very integral and important part of your life upon graduation. Like yourself, I did Geog at uni because it was what I was most interested in rather than what I thought would most enhance my employability, being fooled into the idea that your degree subject doesn't matter since most places look for "2:1 in all disciplines".

But with competition for jobs getting fiercer and fiercer year on year, especially with a growing influx of highly ambitious and more qualified candidates from overseas, I'd now say that it's not a big sacrifice to spend three years doing an 'employable', respected subject you can tolerate rather than a 'worthless' one you enjoy the most, if you consider the long term benefits.

ReputationRep:
    im not doing geography now, or even a joint geography and economics course, now i know many people are unemployed or go into teaching after geography graduation,--yea i know you can go into management ..etc but id rather do something more employable atm

ReputationRep:
    You may assume that graduating from Oxford would be a passport to employability. However the alumni directory of Geographers, as advertised on the website, is quite worrying: http://www.geog.ox.ac.uk/students/un...alumni2003.pdf

Whilst one's landed Deutsche, a lot seem to be travelling aimlessly with no idea what they want to go into, or are temping.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's just everyone who responded to a "what are you up to now?" mass email, so the 30/90 respondees should be a fairly accurate reflection of destinations. In fact you'd expect people to be more likely to respond if they've landed a prestigious job rather than temping/bar work.

ReputationRep:
    It seems like most Oxford Geog grads become drifters.

ReputationRep:
    All this talk of geography graduates struggling in the jobs market is quite worrying for me as i was planning on applying to study geography. Do you think joint honours would be better? I really do want to do geography.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    All this talk of geography graduates struggling in the jobs market is quite worrying for me as i was planning on applying to study geography. Do you think joint honours would be better? I really do want to do geography.
    you can always do a more employable msc postgrad, no point doing what ur not interested in atm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    Yes. Economics & Geography or something. Then you get the best of both worlds - greater employability + studying what you enjoy. Re TheWolf saying to do a Masters, you can save a year or two of that if you make the right choice now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Yes. Economics & Geography or something. Then you get the best of both worlds - greater employability + studying what you enjoy. Re TheWolf saying to do a Masters, you can save a year or two of that if you make the right choice now.
    Economics & Geog is something i have thought about but i've never studied Econ before and i have very little knowledge of it, although it does look interesting. Also, i do not have AL maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    Economics & Geog is something i have thought about but i've never studied Econ before and i have very little knowledge of it, although it does look interesting. Also, i do not have AL maths.
    Im going to study Economics and Geography at UCL this september!!!
    I must warn you that from my experience, A level maths is required to do this combination at any of the top 10/15 unis

maybe you should try geography with another of your a level subjects - you can always choose which one to focus on in the second or third years, and this may result in greater employability

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quiksilver)
    maybe you should try geography with another of your a level subjects - you can always choose which one to focus on in the second or third years, and this may result in greater employability
    Well geography and sociology wouldn't really boost employment prospects would it? Or would it? I do enjoy sociology but it is regarded as even more "mickey mouse" than geography. And English Language and geography don't really make a good combo for a degree.

ReputationRep:
    Im going to study Economics and Geography at UCL this september!!!
    I must warn you that from my experience, A level maths is required to do this combination at any of the top 10/15 unis

hey what gcse/as grades did you get? im pretty interested in the economicsc and geography at ucl myself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    Well geography and sociology wouldn't really boost employment prospects would it? Or would it? I do enjoy sociology but it is regarded as even more "mickey mouse" than geography. And English Language and geography don't really make a good combo for a degree.
    have you looked considered an BA in economics and geography at somewhere like St Andrews - its analogue economics (ie without a great deal of maths) and does not require economics or maths A Level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    hey what gcse/as grades did you get? im pretty interested in the economicsc and geography at ucl myself
    GCSE - 3 A*, 7A
    AS - 3A, 1B

offer AAB with an A in maths, A/B in Economics or geography (any combination)

ReputationRep:
    GCSE - 3 A*, 7A
    AS - 3A, 1B

offer AAB with an A in maths, A/B in Economics or geography (any combination)
    ahh cool, same gcse grades as u, i thought itd give out ABB offers for geography and economics..hmm , did you apply for similar course in LSE?..what other unis did u apply for>

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 20, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.