Is there truely such a thing as Meritocracy? Watch

shaf6565
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Now hear me out before you start talking ****😘, I am a firm advocate of working hard and trying your best, that comes with anything and everything in life; education, in the workplace , making relationships work, keeping a stable household etc etc, even to stretching (no pun intented🌚) to something as mere as working out in the gym - Hard work beats talent is my motto!

But recently I've been thinking about this alot, and believe me I am not bitter or biased in any way - is the education system actually one which rewards those who work hard, or does it only reward those from wealthy backgrounds with big pockets and a recognised family name?

Now I know I sound like a conspiracy theorist, and no I don't know who killed Tupac, but well and truely looking both subjectively and objectively, does Hard work really matter if you're a Prince Harry or if you go to a private college so submerged about their own reputation that they are willing to CHEAT, yes I said it, CHEAT for their pupils.

Don't get me wrong, and I'm not quoting any statistics here but I do believe that the larger majority of INNER CITY students for example are infact less academically able then that of their counterparts from more advantaged areas, I've seen it with my own eyes. I went to a middle class grammer school only to be kicked out prior to GCSEs and go to an inner city secondary to sit my exams. It is clearly evident that those from the former are more focused and driven (not all, but most), but then I found that alot despite social stigma and bad press, Inner city students were just as, if not more, academically able then those from middle class backrgounds. Now I know this alone is not sufficient in the wider arguement, infact it's not even a microcosm of the actual arguement at hand... but I feel inclined to say it. Wasn't Prince Harry academically not so bright? yet he managed to attain perfectly good GCSE's, or did he?

Again without sounding like a conspiracist, this takes me back to something which a private tutor of mine said not so long ago during the time I was sitting my GCSE's. Apparently, as a invigilator at a private college in a middle class area of Birmingham, her invigilation team did not go through any external checks apart from the usual interview process and thus they were encouraged by the principal of the college to allow the children to CHEAT😤. Students used their phones, they asked eachother, hell even the invigilators helped them (inc mine funnily enough🌚).

When she told me this I was astounded - Why didn't I go to this college, I was actually considering applying there for y12💃, but back on topic, it put alot of things in perspective for me, If this could happen at a poxy private college in a small part of Birmingham, this could very well be the case up and down the country with parents that can afford to send their children to such establishments.

Believe me, alot of the inner city kids don't even get taught the syllabus by their teachers, never mind having the answers being given to them for actual externally moderated exams. Now im not saying every student in every private school ever has cheated their way through life😴🌚, but what I am saying is that, taking into account this conspiracy that is not a conspiracy 🌚, is their really such a thing as Meritocracy in the education system???? Isn't it more a matter of who you know and how much money you have rather than what you know?

Thinking about it, if cheating like this is the case on a national or even international scale... aren't official statistics about grades/levels everywhere utterly wrong? Are we really failing as a country to compete academically with countries such as China etc or is our education system and government failing us? Making exams harder doesn't help as its the same outcome, those who genuinely try their best in exams, and I mean THEIR BEST are the real victims as they are expected to compete with those who have everything served on a plate to them.

Now I may be brutally right or brutally wrong but to be honest who can we trust, really? the so called exam boards and their regulators/government figures come out with these bogus claims that exams are too easy etc, but are they really? this whole situation leads to a series of bigger unanswered questions.

What do you guys think👀
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes, there is meritocracy in education. But if you are wealthy, chances are you can afford the best teaching available. If money isn't a problem you can also afford to indulge your children, motivate and challenge them.

I think calling the rich cheats is a little harsh. I would imagine people across the spectrum cheat but buying the best isn't cheating. You and I might drive a Ford. Would you say those who drive Rolls Royce's are cheaters?
username1862217
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Advantaged is the word you're looking for. Not cheats.
chickenfoot
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
that's really too long. there's meritocracy mainly if youre white and always middle class and then you'll get the odd alan sugars which are way overemphasised to make it seem like working class have a chance of moving up the social class ladder.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (165)
18.46%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (91)
10.18%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.55%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (131)
14.65%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.51%
How can I be the best version of myself? (274)
30.65%

Watched Threads