The Student Room Group

Appeal process of grade, is it worth ?

So I'm studying psychology at the university of roehampton, and i just wanted any any advice about appealing my grade. I have averaged a high 2.1, just missing out on a 1st. The university knows about me struggling with depression and anxiety. I do extremely well when i am in the right state of mine - my second year was 86,75,76,73 and even in the third year my first assignment landed me a 75 of the 50% module. At the middle of third year, i had certain circumstances that put me in a bad position - the current flatmates, throwing my stuff out the window for a joke, and then kicking in my door - i decided to finally move flat. After that i suffered extreme depression and anxiety, i did ask about carrying on with some modules and doing some next year, but the department convenor, was not sure of the process and never got back to me. So i decided to go down the root of mitigating circumstances and deferrals. I thought by doing it later, my situation would improve. However, therapy ended and i ended up with multiple trips to a & e with depression, attempting to commit suicide and self harming. I also had a& e vists because of a complicated infection, where i was hospitalised. Finally only a couple of weeks ago, i managed to get reffered to a psychiatrist because i was considered to be 'high-risk'. i had already deferred some of my modules, and i didnt believe that i could actually tell the university what was going on at the time because i had already decided to defer , but i am able to obtain evidence. My 2.1 grades, although average, are not a true reflection on my performance. Would this be a viable reason for an appeal? Any guidance would be helpful !
Reply 1
It's worth it! just get a letter from the GP
Original post by Retroandbeyond
So I'm studying psychology at the university of roehampton, and i just wanted any any advice about appealing my grade. I have averaged a high 2.1, just missing out on a 1st. The university knows about me struggling with depression and anxiety. I do extremely well when i am in the right state of mine - my second year was 86,75,76,73 and even in the third year my first assignment landed me a 75 of the 50% module. At the middle of third year, i had certain circumstances that put me in a bad position - the current flatmates, throwing my stuff out the window for a joke, and then kicking in my door - i decided to finally move flat. After that i suffered extreme depression and anxiety, i did ask about carrying on with some modules and doing some next year, but the department convenor, was not sure of the process and never got back to me. So i decided to go down the root of mitigating circumstances and deferrals. I thought by doing it later, my situation would improve. However, therapy ended and i ended up with multiple trips to a & e with depression, attempting to commit suicide and self harming. I also had a& e vists because of a complicated infection, where i was hospitalised. Finally only a couple of weeks ago, i managed to get reffered to a psychiatrist because i was considered to be 'high-risk'. i had already deferred some of my modules, and i didnt believe that i could actually tell the university what was going on at the time because i had already decided to defer , but i am able to obtain evidence. My 2.1 grades, although average, are not a true reflection on my performance. Would this be a viable reason for an appeal? Any guidance would be helpful !

Definitely grounds for an appeal! You might as well try it, might cost you £20/£20 for a doctor's letter but apart from that what do you have to lose? hope it all works out :smile:

Quick Reply