Best route into genetic engineering

Watch this thread
EnginStudent
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I am one of those individuals that has multiple interest and I can never decide what I want to do completely. But I do have several remaining interest which are persistent. While I studied integrated mechanical and electrical engineering and got a modest 2:1, I love software engineering and work as a software engineer but want to learn biology and get into microbiology. I would like to apply my programming skills to genetic engineering applications. However I am not sure what my best route into this is. One option I am considering is to continue to work as a software engineer but study biology with the open university. Then do a masters in microbiology. If I take this approach into genetic engineering and do not approach it by studying medicine, will this significantly limit my career prospects.

With that said I am more interested in learning microbiology for personal interest so I can research something I am interested in in my spare time and home.

What would be the fastest and best route for me to get into genetic engineering?

Living organisms are fascinating machines and I really love engineering machines.
username1494226
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
The path to the castle is easily trodden, it's opening the gate which is the difficult part. In other words, getting the qualifications is the easy part and simple to plan as a roadmap but its getting employment where you'll run up against a brick wall
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
You wouldn't go into genetic engineering by studying medicine anyway. I think studying biology/microbio part time is a good idea and then to look for jobs that will use both your software engineering skills and your biological knowledge. There's plenty of scope for such skills and expertise in research.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (49)
30.06%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (72)
44.17%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (40)
24.54%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
1.23%

Watched Threads