Will turning to religion make me happier?

Watch
User1835477
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
--
Rorschach II
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm not sure what exactly to say to this.

I'll XcitingStuart here, so I can remember to reply later, as I have to leave my college now.
Frappé
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I know how you feel, i'm kinda going through that too. Just wondering how your mental health is first because that could be something to consider as well.

Well statistically religious people are less likely to become depressed than non-religious people and i guess religion could give you a sense of purpose in your life and stop you feeling lonely. I think it's nice to have a relationship with God as it can give you a sense of completeness and gives you so much strength and it doesnt matter what you're going through, you know you're going to make it.

Try not to force yourself though. Ease yourself into it and if you like it take things slow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Faith can help sometimes, for some people, but there are no hard and fast rules about these things. It can sometimes make things more difficult and throw up more questions than answers, which can be frustrating and lead one to lose sense of where God is, and thus feel more lonely/lost than they were before!

Personally (and I say this as a theist!), I think it would be better for you to look at the root causes of your unhappiness and to see whether it IS just the lack of structure that comes with the summer, or whether it is something deeper. Religion is not a quick fix and some of the most religious people I know are the most miserable! So there's no guarantee that engaging with a faith would make you feel any better, if there is no genuine motivation for entering into that faith, if you see what I mean?
Mamoixen
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's kind of ridiculous to believe in something because it comforts you and not because you think it's true.
PinkRhinos
Badges: 10
Report 5 years ago
define bump in the road
Xlxl23
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Faith helps tbh. I'm a muslim & I was brought up with this religon
Maker
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Religion is the opium of the masses.
Mamoixen
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Maker)
Religion is the opium of the masses.
Marx critique of Hegel's philosophy of right? :P

Religious distress is at the same time the expression of real distress and the protest against real distress. Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. It is the opium of the people. - Marx
User1835477
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
Faith can help sometimes, for some people, but there are no hard and fast rules about these things. It can sometimes make things more difficult and throw up more questions than answers, which can be frustrating and lead one to lose sense of where God is, and thus feel more lonely/lost than they were before!

Personally (and I say this as a theist!), I think it would be better for you to look at the root causes of your unhappiness and to see whether it IS just the lack of structure that comes with the summer, or whether it is something deeper. Religion is not a quick fix and some of the most religious people I know are the most miserable! So there's no guarantee that engaging with a faith would make you feel any better, if there is no genuine motivation for entering into that faith, if you see what I mean?
I think that once I get back into a university routine with projects etc I will be able to see whether it is just the case of being fed up at home or whatever! But I think maybe if I still feel like it might help then I could attend some things with some of my religious friends.

It's not that I want to pretend to believe in something for comfort, its that I know a lot of religious people who have such a positive outlook on life and I wonder whether being in an environment with these kinds of people would help me. Surrounding yourself with positivity is important to stay happy
Maker
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mamoixen)
Marx critique of Hegel's philosophy of right? :P

Religious distress is at the same time the expression of real distress and the protest against real distress. Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. It is the opium of the people. - Marx
Religion gives the illusion of happiness.
Mamoixen
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Maker)
Religion gives the illusion of happiness.
Criticism has plucked the imaginary flowers from the chain.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jasmeen_x)
I think that once I get back into a university routine with projects etc I will be able to see whether it is just the case of being fed up at home or whatever! But I think maybe if I still feel like it might help then I could attend some things with some of my religious friends.

It's not that I want to pretend to believe in something for comfort, its that I know a lot of religious people who have such a positive outlook on life and I wonder whether being in an environment with these kinds of people would help me. Surrounding yourself with positivity is important to stay happy
Well being positive is def important, not denying that at all. I just think it's better to come to a faith from a genuine belief or interest in the faith/religious aspects, rather than the more social/community/pastoral side of things. That's just my opinion though
Unitailed
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Regardless of what one thinks about religion, and god and all that, if you join a religion then you will go to meetings with a bunch of people who socially support each other, so that has a beneficial effect.

I'm not religious, but I can see the benefit in the shared experience, the shoulder to cry on.

I guess some people join a religion and experience the social side of things, and start feeling better, less empty. They attribute it to the church, when in reality it is the people of the church.
User1835477
(Original post by Unitailed)
Regardless of what one thinks about religion, and god and all that, if you join a religion then you will go to meetings with a bunch of people who socially support each other, so that has a beneficial effect.

I'm not religious, but I can see the benefit in the shared experience, the shoulder to cry on.

I guess some people join a religion and experience the social side of things, and start feeling better, less empty. They attribute it to the church, when in reality it is the people of the church.
Yeah I think that's what I think in my head, like the idea of social and positivity and support. Thanks for your advice x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (111)
5.01%
Uncertainty around my education (332)
14.98%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (241)
10.88%
Lack of purpose or motivation (307)
13.85%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (102)
4.6%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (128)
5.78%
Loneliness (192)
8.66%
Financial worries (86)
3.88%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (93)
4.2%
Exposure to negative news/social media (104)
4.69%
Lack of real life entertainment (118)
5.32%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (193)
8.71%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (209)
9.43%

Watched Threads