The Student Room Group

Driving in a bus lane...HELP NEEDED.

Hello all

Basically a simple question I fear I could be over thinking.

Got my test coming up soon and where the test area is a bus lane on a dual carriageway, essentially 3 lanes (when the bus lane is out of hours). The time of my test is when the bus lanes are out of hours so I am expected to use it as the furthermost "left lane".

However the slight question of what "undertaking in the bus lane" is, as i have failed my test for this previously.

Can I drive past motorists in the middle lane if i am going the speed limit (eg they are going slower than the speed limit) as long as I don't then pass them and pull into the middle lane in front of them?

Or do I have to slow down and not pass them even though we are in separate lanes?

Also if i did have to move into the middle lane would I have to drop back so all traffic in the middle lane (at least the ones within a close proximity are past me) or would it only be the ones I have passed in the bus lane?

Sorry if this is confusing in anyway but i really need to get my head round it haha!
Reply 1
If the bus lane is out of hours then you should treat it as an ordinary lane. That means you cannot pass anyone while you're driving in the (not-a-)bus lane (unless it's congested), you have to move over to the middle or inside lane to overtake instead.

When a bus lane is in effect it's a separate flow of traffic, which means undertaking is allowed, because you're effectively separated from the other cars, they can't enter your lane and you can't enter theirs. Obviously that won't apply to you since you're not in a bus, but you may see that happening elsewhere.
Original post by Dez
If the bus lane is out of hours then you should treat it as an ordinary lane. That means you cannot pass anyone while you're driving in the (not-a-)bus lane (unless it's congested), you have to move over to the middle or inside lane to overtake instead.

The OP asks: "Can I drive past motorists in the middle lane if i am going the speed limit (eg they are going slower than the speed limit)"

The highway code says "If the queue on your right is moving more slowly than you are, you may pass on the left".

So technically, as long as the motorists in the middle lane could be loosely described as a "queue", then it is perfectly legal for OP to pass in the leftmost lane.
Reply 3
Original post by cole-slaw
The OP asks: "Can I drive past motorists in the middle lane if i am going the speed limit (eg they are going slower than the speed limit)"

The highway code says "If the queue on your right is moving more slowly than you are, you may pass on the left".

So technically, as long as the motorists in the middle lane could be loosely described as a "queue", then it is perfectly legal for OP to pass in the leftmost lane.

Yes, that's what I meant by the "unless it's congested" part.
Original post by Dez
Yes, that's what I meant by the "unless it's congested" part.

Do 2 cars make a queue? I reckon so

Quick Reply

Latest