Do you categorise potatoes as vegetables or carbohydrates in this context?

Watch
Poll: Vegetable, or carbohydrate contextually?
Vegetable (0)
0%
Carbohydrate (5)
100%
Rorschach II
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Let's say in this context, you were merely saying how many vegetables on your dinner plate, there being a slab of meat, potatoes, sweet corn, and peas (made up meal)? Do you naturally categorise them as vegetables, or carbohydrates, in this context, and include them in your number?

I won't say my view, to avoid influencing others.

(If neither, or not as black and white, feel free to say.)

Kinda weird question, but I had a big debate over this.

(Oops, I've just realised I've spammed "in this context" quite a few times.)
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A potato is a vegetable or, more specifically, a tuber because of the role the organ plays for the potato plant, that has a relatively high starch content and relatively low micronutrient value compared with other vegetables.

Neurotic nutritional obsessives tends to classify it as a carbohydrate, although I merely classify it as something that goes very well with melted cheese.
Vixen47
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No matter how you categorise them they will always be a carb. Same goes for all veg.
Rorschach II
Rep:
?
(Original post by Vixen47)
No matter how you categorise them they will always be a carb. Same goes for all veg.
I would personally say it's "a vegetable, which is also a carbohydrate/high in carbohydrates", or something along those lines.

But potatoes are vegetables, same as carrots etc. etc., just proportionately speaking, high in carbs. I didn't think you categorise a veggy over it's nutritional content, as opposed to specific properties.

And I don't think people generally do it (categorise) by the food group, unless the situation specifically calls for it.

But I don't mind agreeing to disagree,.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rorschach II
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quantex)
A potato is a vegetable or, more specifically, a tuber because of the role the organ plays for the potato plant, that has a relatively high starch content and relatively low micronutrient value compared with other vegetables.

Neurotic nutritional obsessives tends to classify it as a carbohydrate, although I merely classify it as something that goes very well with melted cheese.
No! Not cheese! Cheese mixed with hot Heinz beans* (Beans given priority.)

Lol at second part.

(Fanx for extra info.)

(I've kinda worked entirely backwards.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
KittyRe-playⅢ
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's a vegetable AND a carbohydrate.
Vixen47
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by XcitingStuart)
I would personally say it's "a vegetable, which is also a carbohydrate/high in carbohydrates", or something along those lines.

But potatoes are vegetables, same as carrots etc. etc., just proportionately speaking, high in carbs. I didn't think you categorise a veggy over it's nutritional content, as opposed to specific properties.

And I don't think people generally do it (categorise) by the food group, unless the situation specifically calls for it.

But I don't mind agreeing to disagree,.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didn't get a word you said. You seem to be agreeing and disagreeing with yourself. :wtf:
Katie_p
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Most veggies are carbs. So I wouldn't make the distinction, except that I wouldn't eat potatoes AND rice or pasta, but I'd happily eat 2-3 veg with rice or pasta and meat. Maybe that means I'm in the potato is a carb team? But I wouldn't separate my plate into veggies, carbs, meat. I'd do meat/carbs.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (113)
13.85%
I'm not sure (36)
4.41%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (249)
30.51%
I have already dropped out (20)
2.45%
I'm not a current university student (398)
48.77%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise