The Student Room Group

Master studies - How to arrange a connection to gas, electricity and water in GB?

Hello,

I´m from Germany and coming autumn I will begin my master studies in England.
Recently I organised a private accommodation for an academic year. All tenants in this house will be new and maybe all postgraduates.
Unfortunately the bills are not included.
So the tenants will have to arrange a connection to companies who deliver gas, electricity and water by their own.

Can someone give me an advice what is the best opportunity to handle this problem? Maybe some service exists which can handle all this things at the same time?

I heard that for gas and electricity it´s possible to buy a card at a local supermarket and because of this no bill would come for that at the end of the month. Can someone explain me that please?

Any help is welcome.

Thank you!

Regards
dimahagem
Original post by dimahagem
Hello,

I´m from Germany and coming autumn I will begin my master studies in England.
Recently I organised a private accommodation for an academic year. All tenants in this house will be new and maybe all postgraduates.
Unfortunately the bills are not included.
So the tenants will have to arrange a connection to companies who deliver gas, electricity and water by their own.

Can someone give me an advice what is the best opportunity to handle this problem? Maybe some service exists which can handle all this things at the same time?

I heard that for gas and electricity it´s possible to buy a card at a local supermarket and because of this no bill would come for that at the end of the month. Can someone explain me that please?

Any help is welcome.

Thank you!

Regards
dimahagem

There are some student bill sharing services that exist but you'll have to discuss this with your flatmates. Electric and gas generally you'll have a choice of companies paying monthly rather than having a cash account is the cheaper option for the most part. Water will be a specific company for the area you live in and normally you could choose between paying in cash with a card they give you at say a post office and some corner shops or paying monthly or every 3 months so that can be reasonably flexible.
Reply 2
Good to know, thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending