Can I use particle in place of the word atom?

Watch
Lee Chaolan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I know subatomic particles are the most known but can I use particle in place of atom (E,g. The water particle will gain enough energy to start breaking its bonds with other particles, It then evaporates).
username457532
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Sugoi_Sugoi)
I know subatomic particles are the most known but can I use particle in place of atom (E,g. The water particle will gain enough energy to start breaking its bonds with other particles, It then evaporates).
Why would you not use 'atom'? Not only does it actually make you sound like you know what you're talking about, it's HALF the number of letters.
Maker
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes if you want to fail your exams.

I look forward to the particle bomb and the particulate power station.
thecatwithnohat
Report 5 years ago
Atom is a keyword
Keywords gain you more marks

Do with my comment what you will
Dave1999
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Wouldn't water be a molecule rather than an atom anyway?
Maker
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Dave1999)
Not according to the OP, its a water particle!
gijops
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In that case, i think it would be wrong to use atom actually... atom is only for when theres one nucleus surrounded by electrons

If I'm wrong your still OK to use particle because all atoms are particles but not all particles are atoms... been a while since my A-level chemistry
A level sufferer
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why would you even do that if you could (Which you cant)
zalo_00
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The particles must ensemble to form an atom. So it wouldn't be fine unless you are using it in a context of analogy.
It's incorrect.
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Depends on the question. If it's a generic question about kinetics or thermodynamics where the actual chemistry is of lesser relevance then possibly although you probably want to avoid it (you're more likely to use the word particle in a physics exam, probably). If the actual chemistry of the particles in question are important, then absolutely not. Definitely do not say "water particles" though, because that's wrong. You want to say "water molecules" instead, because that's what they are.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
More than one atom (H20 is three) is a molecule.
(Original post by Dave1999)
Correct.
Disscussion ended.
Infraspecies
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not if you're going to describe things with any level of detail, no.
alow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In that context the proper word to use would probable be molecule, as you're talking about a chemical process, although depending on how you write it particle could also be correct.

For more physical stuff particle is fine (e.g. talking about Brownian motion or distro' of velocity of particles in a gas). Most of these responses seem to come from people who've done A Level chemistry and think they know everything, unfortunately they're sorely mistaken.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (85)
14.24%
I'm not sure (27)
4.52%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (189)
31.66%
I have already dropped out (12)
2.01%
I'm not a current university student (284)
47.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed