username2111049
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I really would like to become a primary school teacher, but I don't know how. What degree do you need? Can I take a BA in Primary Teaching? What's the difference between primary teaching and teachers training? Can you apply for PGCE after getting a primary teaching degree? I just don't know how this works. I'm an alevel student and I need help because I should write up my personal statement soon.

I've tried doing internet research but It continues to get even more complicated.
Thank you, any reply will be very appreciated.
Guy123
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't think you need a PGCE to teach in primary school, however, you would need a good foundation in teaching and that would most likely mean a BA in Primary Teaching. You may also need some experience, as some schools want to see that you can work with children effectively. I would suggest calling a few primary schools and see what they say in terms of qualifications and experience. Nevertheless, it seems you're on the right track and good luck with your journey towards educating the bright minds of the future generations
bumblebee342
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you do a degree in Primary Education, a PGCE is not needed. Look at Primary Ed degrees with QTS (qualified teacher status), as these leave you qualified when you graduate.

It's important to read the entry requirements for these courses though. If you don't have related work experience, this is something unis will look for.

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (514)
33.77%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (628)
41.26%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (311)
20.43%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (69)
4.53%

Watched Threads