The Student Room Group

Can I do Further Maths A Level all in one year?

I've just received my AS level results and they were good generally. However I was very disappointed in my Maths A level results seeing as my overall grade was a C, but I got an A in C1, an A in C2 but a U in S1 :frown:
I've decided that my mathematical capability in core is strong enough to get me through both AS and A2 further maths in one year but just wanted to know what people think.
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by RonnieWalker97
I've just received my AS level results and they were good generally. However I was very disappointed in my Maths A level results seeing as my overall grade was a C, but I got an A in C1, an A in C2 but a U in S1 :frown:
I've decided that my mathematical capability in core is strong enough to get me through both AS and A2 further maths in one year but just wanted to know what people think.
Thanks

I think you should concentrate in the Straight Maths
Reply 2
Have you done further maths? if so what topics did you do (M1, M2, FP1...)?

Sure I have done further maths but it was not modular in my days.

I feel it is more important to concentrate to get an A/B in straight maths as C3 and C4 is far harder than C1 and C2.

Besides grade A in C1? even people that end up with B or even C get A in C1.
Why is this? Is the core stuff in FP1 and FP2 a lot harder because I feel my core understanding would be strong enough to get me through?
Reply 4
Further maths is meant to be done in one year though?
Is it really? At all of our local colleges they are offered as 2 year courses?
Reply 6
Well, normally you do the full A Level of maths in the first year and then in the next year you do the full further maths A level.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Why is this? Is the core stuff in FP1 and FP2 a lot harder because I feel my core understanding would be strong enough to get me through?

this is the relative difficulty of most modules in EDEXCEL

EDEXCEL A LEVEL UNITS.jpg
Well then, it looks like I'm not going to have any social life for the next year :u:
Original post by TeeEm

:lol: fp1 is not as easy as c2
Original post by TeeEm

I took my exams with AQA and this would be roughly how I feel the difficulties are too (I just finished my A levels).
Reply 11
Original post by FlyingNinja1
:lol: fp1 is not as easy as c2

This chart is not about my opinion or your opinion ...

This is about how students find them/perceive them.

I am sure some people find FP1 harder than C2.
TeeEm, can you help me on a quick fp2 question?
Reply 13
Original post by creativebuzz
TeeEm, can you help me on a quick fp2 question?

shoot...
(note that I have not revised)
Original post by TeeEm
shoot...
(note that I have not revised)

Find the sum of the series ln1/2 + ln2/3 + ln3/4 ...ln(n/n+1)
Reply 15
Find the sum of the series ln1/2 + ln2/3 + ln3/4 ...ln(n/n+1)

use the property of addition of logs

then most things will cancel
Reply 16
I made a thread similar to this so I'll summarise. Yes it is doable, that being said it is not encouraged as it is very difficult to do (you will be doing 9 Maths exams next year). Take it from someone in your position, carry your AS subjects onto A2, work harder than you did last year and get that C up to an A. Another point, modules like FP2/3 and M4/5 are an order of magnitude harder than C1/2 so they will take a significant amount of time to get up to standard. I you need any advice just PM me
P.S. I'm doing FM in a year (with A2 Maths and A2 Physics)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TeeEm
use the property of addition of logs

then most things will cancel

dammit, that idea crossed my mind i just didn't see it through! thank you!

hope you dont mind helping me out on this question:

2) Given that for all real values of r, (2r+1)^3 - (2r-1)^3 = Ar^2 + B, where A and B are constants. Find the value of A and B. I did the whole r=1 etc and it did work up until I was left with (2n+1)^3 - 1 and even after expanding I was left with a cubic which doesn't match up to Ar^2 + B.
Reply 18
dammit, that idea crossed my mind i just didn't see it through! thank you!

2) Given that for all real values of r, (2r+1)^3 - (2r-1)^3 = Ar^2 + B, where A and B are constants. Find the value of A and B. I did the whole r=1 etc and it did work up until I was left with (2n+1)^3 - 1 and even after expanding I was left with a cubic which doesn't match up to Ar^2 + B.

expand the LHS and compare coefficients

or

set r =1/2 and then set r= -1/2

I am not answering more as I am watching and murder mystery film and I need to follow the plot.
goodnight
Reply 19

Since this is supposed to be an identity and you only have 2 constants to find, you can plug in any 2 values of r e.g. r = 0 and r = 1 and then solve for A and B.

Alternatively (but longer) just expand the 2 brackets on the LHS and work out A and B explicitly. Note that you should certainly NOT end up with a cubic - the 1st term in the 1st bracket will be 8r^3 and the 1st term in the 2nd bracket will come out as 8r^3 too, so they will cancel when you take one from the other :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest