meganrae97
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So, I'm in the process of applying to the big and scary world of university, but I'm completely lost. I'm trying to find the perfect Psychology course, in a good university in a nice location (not that I want much....), but there are just so many options and websites and places and lists I'm finding it difficult to narrow any down or make my final choices!

At the moment, I'm thinking about Bath University, UCL, Southampton, Cardiff, Liverpool, Reading, and Edge Hill (as a backup plan).

If anyone has any experience with any of these uni's, or any help/knowledge they could offer about any other uni's good for Psychology courses I would be so grateful!

Thank you!!!
Millie1986
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by meganrae97)
So, I'm in the process of applying to the big and scary world of university, but I'm completely lost. I'm trying to find the perfect Psychology course, in a good university in a nice location (not that I want much....), but there are just so many options and websites and places and lists I'm finding it difficult to narrow any down or make my final choices!

At the moment, I'm thinking about Bath University, UCL, Southampton, Cardiff, Liverpool, Reading, and Edge Hill (as a backup plan).

If anyone has any experience with any of these uni's, or any help/knowledge they could offer about any other uni's good for Psychology courses I would be so grateful!

Thank you!!!
I'm a current student at Bath and am happy to answer any questions about the course or uni. I'd suggest thinking about the type of uni you want, ie city/campus, town/city etc - living and studying in London is going to be very different to Bath for example. Then look at course structure etc. There are lots of good psychology courses around - you can get some indication from league tables, but don't make your decision based purely on that. Look at course content, uni life etc. The reason I chose Bath was because I wanted a placement year, as graduate jobs and training course in psychology are very competitive, so I wanted the opportunity to gain experience on a placement year. Have a think about what you want, and feel free to ask any questions - I researched many universities very thoroughly when I applied so have reasonable knowledge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
aylawilde
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Thank you!!!
I'm from near to Bath and know a few psych students there, but I'm doing Psychology at UCL so I can give you some info on the UCL course if you have any specific questions. I think if my hometown wasn't so close to Bath, I probably would have opted for there as it's a good university, a nice campus, Bath is a nice city, and the placement year sounds amazing. Like the person above says though, a lot of those unis listed would be very different to one another because of the locations.
meganrae97
Rep:
?
Thank you for answering! After hours and hoursssss of searching I'm considering opting for a Neuroscience degree instead, to give me a wider range of knowladge and career prospects (as I'm afraid psychology might be too competitive for me!), but I'm still considering applying for that course in UCL. Are you enjoying it as a University? I'm worried about the living costs and the accommodation being too far away or too expensive.
meganrae97
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=Millie1986;59072239]I'm a current student at Bath and am happy to answer any questions about the course or uni. I'd suggest thinking about the type of uni you want, ie city/campus, town/city etc - living and studying in London is going to be very different to Bath for example. Then look at course structure etc. There are lots of good psychology courses around - you can get some indication from league tables, but don't make your decision based purely on that. Look at course content, uni life etc. The reason I chose Bath was because I wanted a placement year, as graduate jobs and training course in psychology are very competitive, so I wanted the opportunity to gain experience on a placement year. Have a think about what you want, and feel free to ask any questions - I researched many universities very thoroughly when I applied so have reasonable knowledge.

Thanks for taking the time to reply! Are you enjoying Bath as a university and as a city? I've spent hours and hours the last couple of days looking at courses, for the exact problem of psychology being such a competitive field. I'm thinking about moving to a Neuroscience degree instead, which Bath doesn't offer (unfortunately!!), which would give me some psychology aspects that I love, as well as a wider range of knowladge that would allow greater career prospects. Did you ever consider anything else?
scrawlx101
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Here are my uni choices:

Loughborough - AAB
Reading - AAB
UEA - ABB
Coventry/Essex/Queen Mary - ABB
Chester/Brunel - BBBis that good?
Millie1986
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by scrawlx101)
Here are my uni choices:

Loughborough - AAB
Reading - AAB
UEA - ABB
I'd go for Essex and Chester of the ones you're not sure about. Essex has quite a good department, particularly for social psychology. The first 3 are all good.
scrawlx101
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Millie1986)
I'd go for Essex and Chester of the ones you're not sure about. Essex has quite a good department, particularly for social psychology. The first 3 are all good.
think its between essex and coventry(it offers a placement)

think im stuck between Brunel and Chester...chester is slightly putting me off since halls aint guranteed...
Millie1986
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
[QUOTE=meganrae97;59131553]
(Original post by Millie1986)
I'm a current student at Bath and am happy to answer any questions about the course or uni. I'd suggest thinking about the type of uni you want, ie city/campus, town/city etc - living and studying in London is going to be very different to Bath for example. Then look at course structure etc. There are lots of good psychology courses around - you can get some indication from league tables, but don't make your decision based purely on that. Look at course content, uni life etc. The reason I chose Bath was because I wanted a placement year, as graduate jobs and training course in psychology are very competitive, so I wanted the opportunity to gain experience on a placement year. Have a think about what you want, and feel free to ask any questions - I researched many universities very thoroughly when I applied so have reasonable knowledge.

Thanks for taking the time to reply! Are you enjoying Bath as a university and as a city? I've spent hours and hours the last couple of days looking at courses, for the exact problem of psychology being such a competitive field. I'm thinking about moving to a Neuroscience degree instead, which Bath doesn't offer (unfortunately!!), which would give me some psychology aspects that I love, as well as a wider range of knowladge that would allow greater career prospects. Did you ever consider anything else?
Yes, Bath is lovely, and the department is really great. You need to think about what your end goal is - if you do a straight Neuroscience degree then it won't be accredited by the BPS, so if you wanted to work in psychology or do further study you might need to do a psychology conversion course. You may want to look at Psychology with Neuroscience degrees, as these should be accredited but would still have some neuroscience involved. But also straight psychology courses usually involve some optional modules, and at Bath there is a neuroscience optional stream you can take if you want. It just depends what you want to do really.
aylawilde
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thank you for answering! After hours and hoursssss of searching I'm considering opting for a Neuroscience degree instead, to give me a wider range of knowladge and career prospects (as I'm afraid psychology might be too competitive for me!), but I'm still considering applying for that course in UCL. Are you enjoying it as a University? I'm worried about the living costs and the accommodation being too far away or too expensive.
I love UCL, I'm really sad to be going into my final year. The rent is expensive, and alcohol is expensive when going out but aside from that I don't find anything else markedly more expensive. You get the London weighted loan as well which helps. It's obviously not cheap but I would say it's worth it for the experience of living so centrally.
Neuroscience research at UCL gets an insane amount of funding, and there are some really amazing people in the department, so I'd say UCL was a pretty good choice if neuroscience is what you wanna do.
money-for-all
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Thank you!!!
perhaps consider using a map or a sat-nav ?
University of Chester
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
think its between essex and coventry(it offers a placement)

think im stuck between Brunel and Chester...chester is slightly putting me off since halls aint guranteed...
The university aims to accommodate all first year students, if this isn't possible the university will help you to find accommodation, whether this is through Partner accommodation or the Private sector. The university has an allocation policy http://www.chester.ac.uk/node/24666 and this includes taking into account the distance you live away from the university.

Hope this helps
Natalie.1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Here are my uni choices:

Loughborough - AAB
Reading - AAB
UEA - ABB
Hello,
I study Psychology at the University of Essex and absolutely love it So if you have any questions about the course or campus etc please feel free to ask!

^Natalie.
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
UCL grad here if you have any questions.
Sharmila_Student
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Thank you!!!
Hey!
have you considered Essex? I am going into my final year studying psychology at essex and absolutely love it! I feel that because we learn a range of fields like social, biological, cognitive etc I am getting a lot out of my degree and have a good choice of areas i can go into after graduation. feel free to ask any questions you might have about the course or anything about the university, I'd be more than happy to help!
^Sharmila
FatimaZehra
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by aylawilde)
I'm from near to Bath and know a few psych students there, but I'm doing Psychology at UCL so I can give you some info on the UCL course if you have any specific questions. I think if my hometown wasn't so close to Bath, I probably would have opted for there as it's a good university, a nice campus, Bath is a nice city, and the placement year sounds amazing. Like the person above says though, a lot of those unis listed would be very different to one another because of the locations.
Hi
I want to do Psychology at UCL but I'm a bit worried as to whether I'm being realistic or not. My AS results were Biology (A), Psychology (A), Chemistry (B) and English Literature (B). I've continued Biology, Psychology and Chemistry and am predicted AAA but I'm not sure about how much of a chance I have of being offered a place. Also, if someone gets an offer for A*AA, but they achieve AAA are they still accepted onto the course because the minimum requirement is AAA.
Thanks
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by FatimaZehra)
Hi
I want to do Psychology at UCL but I'm a bit worried as to whether I'm being realistic or not. My AS results were Biology (A), Psychology (A), Chemistry (B) and English Literature (B). I've continued Biology, Psychology and Chemistry and am predicted AAA but I'm not sure about how much of a chance I have of being offered a place. Also, if someone gets an offer for A*AA, but they achieve AAA are they still accepted onto the course because the minimum requirement is AAA.
Thanks
I knew someone on TSR with an A*AA offer was rejected after getting AAA
sam.m
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am a third year student at Essex university and my experience so far has been amazing! The social life as well as the education is very good and I have had no problems since I have been studying there. Everyone is keen to help you and there is everything you need either on campus or close by. The campus is a very social space so it makes it easier to make friends and all of the student accommodation is very close to the university. I am currently on an exchange at a university in Australia and Essex uni has helped me out a lot to get here. I have not once regretted my choice of choosing to study at Essex. ^Sam
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (80)
14.18%
I'm not sure (26)
4.61%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (179)
31.74%
I have already dropped out (12)
2.13%
I'm not a current university student (267)
47.34%

Watched Threads