The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

financial support

apologies if not in right forum....anyone know how much financial support is available for those students on benefits for laptop/study essentials?starting OU open degree October....need an idea of help available....
(edited 8 years ago)
The OU have something called a Laptop Grant which is now open for claims.It should be listed on their website but I'm afraid I haven't got the link. ( Think it might be this http://www2.open.ac.uk/students/skillsforstudy/doc/using-a-computer-to-support-your-study.pdf )

I do know that you have to buy the laptop first and have the proof of purchase and I think they only reimburse up to £250 if at all.

Sorry I can't be of more help, I'm planning to call them tomorrow to put my claim in so if I come up with anything more useful I'll let you know :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
thanks😁....better than nothing!!
I think you may be eligible for a bursary with the OU and you may be able to apply for the access scheme which entitled you to some benefits. Have a check.
Reply 4
Original post by CompSci89
I think you may be eligible for a bursary with the OU and you may be able to apply for the access scheme which entitled you to some benefits. Have a check.

was trying to start on access..but have an hnc in applied biology....which excluded me...despite being from 20 years ago......will phone them up about bursaries.....thanks😁
Original post by earthpixie
was trying to start on access..but have an hnc in applied biology....which excluded me...despite being from 20 years ago......will phone them up about bursaries.....thanks😁

You can also try OUSET. Good luck!
Original post by CompSci89

I don't think there are bursaries anymore, since SFE took over funding the courses and prices went up. Or at least not as far as I can see, they seem to only be available to those eligible for to transitional fees.
Reply 7
phoned OU today...the maximum I have been told to help with laptop/study costs is £400.....a lot more than I thought😁
Original post by earthpixie
phoned OU today...the maximum I have been told to help with laptop/study costs is £400.....a lot more than I thought😁

That's great! I hope it's the same for me because I'm going laptop shopping next week! :colone:
Reply 9
Original post by AlisonJayne
That's great! I hope it's the same for me because I'm going laptop shopping next week! :colone:

would have thought so...man had to check with someone....but said if eligible max was 400..can't get money till term has begun....so proof you are participating.....and receipt of laptop....AND reminded me of educational discount....which I need to look into😁

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending