The Student Room Group

Sheffield Medicine Applicants 2016 Entry

Couldn't find a thread for 2016 entry so thought id start one, who's planning on applying here?

Scroll to see replies

I'm planning to as long as my UKCAT is good enough :biggrin: I'm going to the open day this weekend, have you been?
Im thinking of applying bt I got 600 average and 2410 all together in my ukcat is that good enough for Sheffield will they even consider my application .??? Any help appreciated
I am considering applying to Sheffield… not 100% sure about it though :tongue:
Original post by future doctor x
Im thinking of applying bt I got 600 average and 2410 all together in my ukcat is that good enough for Sheffield will they even consider my application .??? Any help appreciated

They usually have a cut off at 650 but this year apparently it has been lowered to 620 or something (not sure what score really). I'd email /call them to check about that.
What other places are you applying to?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by thatcooldude2.0
They usually have a cut off at 650 but this year apparently it has been lowered to 620 or something (not sure what score really). I'd email /call them to check about that.

Leeds hyms and unsure about fourth choice where else do u think I would have a chance if I applied and thinking about pharmacy as a fifth option wbu ?
Original post by future doctor x
Leeds hyms and unsure about fourth choice where else do u think I would have a chance if I applied and thinking about pharmacy as a fifth option wbu ?

They're good choices! Well I'm not entirely sure have a look at maybe somewhere like Keele (they don't look at applicants with ukcat scores in lowest 20%, which last year was below around 580 or something like that), Cardiff (if you have strong gcses).
I'm applying to Imperial, Barts and Sheffield/Keele/Liverpool/Exeter :tongue: Chemistry/pharmacy as a 5th option :smile:
Original post by kdizzle97
I'm planning to as long as my UKCAT is good enough :biggrin: I'm going to the open day this weekend, have you been?

Im also going to the open day this weekend :smile: First open day I will have been to this Application cycle (looked around quite a few when I applied 3 years ago though, got rejected and ended up doing a degree in neuroscience with pharmacology)

Do you think that means they'll put more emphasis on academics? ive only got 5A*s at GCSE so cant really afford to apply to GCSE heavy unis.

Also thinking of applying to st georges, aberdeen and glasgow, but not sure if i'll be at too much of a dissadvantage applying to 2 scottish unis as an english student
Original post by stephannalee
Do you think that means they'll put more emphasis on academics? ive only got 5A*s at GCSE so cant really afford to apply to GCSE heavy unis.

Also thinking of applying to st georges, aberdeen and glasgow, but not sure if i'll be at too much of a dissadvantage applying to 2 scottish unis as an english student

I've heard that they look at the ukcat first to see if you've met their cut off then grade you personal statement (A/B/C) then invite applicants with highest grades to interview. I haven't found anything out about how they look at academics, sorry. (Anyone tell me if I'm wrong about this process because I haven't done too much research on it yet)
I have 6A*s at GCSE so we're pretty much in the same position :tongue: Don't worry too much about applying to Scottish unis as an English student, apply to the ones that you think you are likely to get an interview at! :smile: What was your ukcat score if you don't mind me asking?
Hope you enjoy the open day btw!! :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
I've heard that they look at the ukcat first to see if you've met their cut off then grade you personal statement (A/B/C) then invite applicants with highest grades to interview. I haven't found anything out about how they look at academics, sorry. (Anyone tell me if I'm wrong about this process because I haven't done too much research on it yet)
I have 6A*s at GCSE so we're pretty much in the same position :tongue: Don't worry too much about applying to Scottish unis as an English student, apply to the ones that you think you are likely to get an interview at! :smile: What was your ukcat score if you don't mind me asking?
Hope you enjoy the open day btw!! :tongue:

Thanks, got 660 in my UKCAT (VR=540, QR=740, AR=760, DA=600, SJT- Band 2) so nothing spectacular but hopefully good enough to get in somewhere, what did you get in the UKCAT?
Thanks, got 660 in my UKCAT (VR=540, QR=740, AR=760, DA=600, SJT- Band 2) so nothing spectacular but hopefully good enough to get in somewhere, what did you get in the UKCAT?

I had 665 Band 3 (560,680,710,710 I think) :smile: we almost have the same stats :biggrin:
I had 665 Band 3 (560,680,710,710 I think) :smile: we almost have the same stats :biggrin:

We really do have similar stats! Where else are you applying?
Hey guys! I'm thinking of applying to Sheffield this year for medicine, I guess I'll see on Saturday whether it's where I want to be! Where else are you all thinking of applying?:smile:
We really do have similar stats! Where else are you applying?

Yep:smile: I was thinking of applying to Imperial, Barts, Exeter/ Keele/ Liverpool/ Sheffield/ Hull York/ SGUL can't decide yet :tongue: Are you planning to take the bmat?
Reply 15
Yep:smile: I was thinking of applying to Imperial, Barts, Exeter/ Keele/ Liverpool/ Sheffield/ Hull York/ SGUL can't decide yet :tongue: Are you planning to take the bmat?

I have 665 ukcat and 5A*s at GCSE (4 As at AS if that makes a difference) do you think I'll have a shout applying to sheffield/ keele/ liverpool? Where else do you think i might have a chance?
For anyone interested in applying, you should look at this:
http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/polopoly_...y2016Entry.pdf

Sheffield admissions just make sure you meet the UKCAT/Academic minimum requirement, then they hand out interviews purely on your Personal Statements, then they give offers based on purely on highest MMI Interview score.

Your academics are irrelevant as long as you meet the minimum.

Not planning on taking the BMAT as I'll be quite busy with uni coursework at that time of year so thought I'd just focus on getting ready for interviews (my university tutor already isn't that keen on me applying this year as he wants me to focus on the final year of my degree). Also I took the BMAT when I applied for medicine when I was at school and got rejected from imperial purely for the reason that I was 0.1 below their cut off in the verbal reasoning section (was significantly above the cut off in all the other sections). Wow you're thinking of quite a few unis! I'm honestly applying for the ones i think I have the best chance of getting in at this point!). Was also thinking of Hull york but can't work out what GCSEs and UKCAT scores usually get interviews!
Do Sheffield accept resit within the two years? So can I resit a Chemistry module in Year 13? :smile:
Original post by kdizzle97
Do Sheffield accept resit within the two years? So can I resit a Chemistry module in Year 13? :smile:

Unfortunately they do not accept resits. But I always recommend emailing them to be certain.

"AS Level Requirements:

The four AS Levels should be studied for no longer than one year.

These four AS Level grades must all be obtained in the same sitting.

We do not accept AS Level resits or examinations taken early."

"A Level Requirements:

The three A Levels should be studied for no longer than two years, must be passed on the first attempt and must all be taken in one sitting.

We are unable to consider A Level resits or examinations taken early."

Source: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/medicine/prospective_ug/applying/acad_a100

Quick Reply

Latest