The Student Room Group

Sheffield Medicine Applicants 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Hi, is there anyone here who's in their first year at Sheffield?

If yes, can you please share what your experience has been like? How are you taught and is the syllabus manageable?
It seems like an awful lot to cover all the systems in Year 1...
Original post by Nikita Verma
Hi, is there anyone here who's in their first year at Sheffield?

If yes, can you please share what your experience has been like? How are you taught and is the syllabus manageable?
It seems like an awful lot to cover all the systems in Year 1...

Mostly lectures- for physiology, histology and embryology. However, we learn anatomy via full body dissection, which takes place every week and is relatively quite independent.

We alternate between with one session of ILA (which is like PBL) or GP placement every week. The GP placement involves presenting and discussing a certain disease or problem in a small group, and is led by a GP. At the end we get to see patients suffering with the related disease. Both ILA's and GP placements usually link to the system we're currently learning in lectures and anatomy.

We don't learn any pathology in the first year which might be why we cover all the systems.

The workload is relatively high especially due to assignments like SSC's that we do alongside our work. I'd say that our course is very patient heavy compared to other med schools. In addition to GP placements, we see patients at the end of each module with related illnesses and have two weeks in January shadowing doctors and nurses the whole time.
Original post by Jonnyss
Mostly lectures- for physiology, histology and embryology. However, we learn anatomy via full body dissection, which takes place every week and is relatively quite independent.

We alternate between with one session of ILA (which is like PBL) or GP placement every week. The GP placement involves presenting and discussing a certain disease or problem in a small group, and is led by a GP. At the end we get to see patients suffering with the related disease. Both ILA's and GP placements usually link to the system we're currently learning in lectures and anatomy.

We don't learn any pathology in the first year which might be why we cover all the systems.

The workload is relatively high especially due to assignments like SSC's that we do alongside our work. I'd say that our course is very patient heavy compared to other med schools. In addition to GP placements, we see patients at the end of each module with related illnesses and have two weeks in January shadowing doctors and nurses the whole time.

Hi, thanks for the information! Is there any drawback or anything you don't like about studying medicine at Sheffield? I've already firmed Sheffield but it would still be nice to know and prepare myself for it :smile:
Does anybody know if Sheffield would/have previously let somebody in if they achieved AAB on results day and they were an *insurance* choice? Thanks!

Quick Reply