kendellex
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Everybody assumes that it is always the hardest course to get into but there are degrees which require higher grades than medicine in some situations.
I understand that you have to study the UKCAT but is that really harder than getting an A* instead of an A...
I dunno 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Twinpeaks
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's also the amount of experience required. You can't just have the grades....
username1230881
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by kendellex)
Everybody assumes that it is always the hardest course to get into but there are degrees which require higher grades than medicine in some situations.
I understand that you have to study the UKCAT but is that really harder than getting an A* instead of an A...
I dunno 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
You need far more than just the grades to get into medicine - you often need a large selection of A*s at GCSE, lots of work experience, brilliant AS grades, other extra-curriculars and more. With so many applicants per place, just being predicted AAA would not be enough. Other courses are also very competitive - such as law - but I think medicine takes it to a whole new level.
Mel1312
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I dunno 😂
Posted from TSR Mobile
Other subjects which primarily have higher grades such as some forms of Engineering, most courses in Oxbridge etc will not have such a confusing admissions system.

Bar the UKCAT and the BMAT (which are externally taken exams with a lot less prep time than any A level), there are more things that could trip you up along the way that may not necessarily occur in other courses such as a lack of work experience, rigorous interview process, ability to obtain, maintain and reflect successfully on volunteering all could result in you losing out.

Additionally, the number of people who apply and who you will be competing against is quite a lot. Some schools have about 30 applicants for one place whereas other courses which higher grades may have 5 or 6 per place.

It's not impossible , but compared to other degrees it may be argued it involves a bit more leg work than most. The only oher degrees with a similar amount of work in the application would probably be vet med and dentistry but overall most people who go into medicine are quite modest about the process and don't charge around emphasising how hard it is.
Mutmit287
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I dunno 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Medicine is hands down the hardest degree subject to get into, this is shown by the statistics, because each year 60% of all applicants do not even gain one offer!

Medical schools are flooded with applicants every year, and thus now it doesnt just cut it to meet the entry requirements in terms of grades, you must have done some amazing work experience and voluntary work, take part in extra curricular activities and have spent time revising for the BMAT/UKCAT entrance exams to get a good score! - it really is tough!

Then you have to get past a very tough interview which aims to test your suitability to being a doctor, rather than your intelligance!

There are some subjects at oxbridge that are also tough to get into, such as maths, and also law is hard to get into at very high ranking universities, but the competition is nowhere near the level of medicine.
Hannahmay01
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I dunno 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Having friends applying for medicine and vetrinary science I would say becoming a vet is even more competitive than becoming a vet.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Its certainly between medicine, dentistry and vetinary.

Its not that at the top end they are necessarily harder (although if you look at average grades medicine often is still the highest). Its that there is no low end. Every med school requires AAA. If you can't get that you can't get in and, as stated, >60% of applicants per year get no offers. No other courses have that.

(Original post by Hannahmay01)
... becoming a vet is even more competitive than becoming a vet.
Wow that must be competitive. I think.
username1500433
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Medicine is the hardest to get onto because of the interviews and work experience required, plus the UKCAT/BMAT/GAMSAT.

However, if you're being specific to university, Oxford E&M definitely top in terms of competitiveness.
strangesquark
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Medicine probably is the most competitive generally as a subject.

But if we're just considering one particular course at one particular university I think maths at Cambridge is harder to get into. Those STEP exams are pretty brutal.

But I'd agree that medicine at most unis is more competitive than maths at most places, because so many people want to do medicine.
chickenonsteroids
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's very competitive but it might not always have the highest applicant to space ratio. For example, fine art at UCL beats out medicine and law with their ratio.
samboosa0
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I would say that medicine is one of the hardest degrees to get into. You need to have an excellent academic record, sufficient amount of work experience and pass the entry tests. Its one of the most competitive courses which makes guaranteeing a place in it very difficult.
Hannahmay01
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by nexttime)
Its certainly between medicine, dentistry and vetinary.

Its not that at the top end they are necessarily harder (although if you look at average grades medicine often is still the highest). Its that there is no low end. Every med school requires AAA. If you can't get that you can't get in and, as stated, >60% of applicants per year get no offers. No other courses have that.

Wow that must be competitive. I think.
Haha I'd just woken up!
Chicken.M.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Depends what you think is hard.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.7%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.18%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (38)
16.96%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
15.18%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (60)
26.79%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (43)
19.2%

Watched Threads