English coursework , how do they work? Watch

I Don't Know 79
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So basically I did my English coursework in yr10 and did pretty bad. In Narrative and Descriptive, I got a F. In Macbeth I got a C and in Transcript I got a C.
I get really scared because I may not get a C overall.
Can yo tell me how the marking system work with the exam and coursework.

For example say i did the AQA paper this year for English what would of i need to get a C overall in the Exam paper.
chris2791
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
here is the link to english lit spec look at page 26 it gives you how many marks needed for each unit in the lit exam just have a look i hope it helps http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-9715-W-SP.PDF
I Don't Know 79
Rep:
?
(Original post by chris2791)
here is the link to english lit spec look at page 26 it gives you how many marks needed for each unit in the lit exam just have a look i hope it helps http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-9715-W-SP.PDF
it doesn't say how the mark of our coursework affects it
chris2791
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
oh let me research just give me 5 mins
I Don't Know 79
Rep:
?
oh let me research just give me 5 mins
ok thanks
chris2791
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Take a look at this statisitcally.

Say you get a D in the coursework about 8% for example. Lets not get confused here, the coursework is worth 20%, so when I say 8% I mean 8% of the GCSE not of the coursework component.

Say it's 77% to get an A* in the exam itself, but say its 18% to get an A* in the coursework (it is usually this high), so overall 0.77*0.8+0.18=about 80%

But say you get a D in the coursework about 8% of the total gcse or 0.016% of the coursework mark. How much extra do you need to get in the exam to still get an A*? 0.8x + 0.08 = 0.80 so x = 0.90 so the extra amount you will have to get in the exam is 10% based on this example.

so you can still get a good mark but you will need to achieve high marks in the exam to bring up your coursework
chris2791
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Take a look at this statisitcally.

Say you get a D in the coursework about 8% for example. Lets not get confused here, the coursework is worth 20%, so when I say 8% I mean 8% of the GCSE not of the coursework component.

Say it's 77% to get an A* in the exam itself, but say its 18% to get an A* in the coursework (it is usually this high), so overall 0.77*0.8+0.18=about 80%

But say you get a D in the coursework about 8% of the total gcse or 0.016% of the coursework mark. How much extra do you need to get in the exam to still get an A*? 0.8x + 0.08 = 0.80 so x = 0.90 so the extra amount you will have to get in the exam is 10% based on this example.

so you can still get a good mark but you will need to achieve high marks in the exam to bring up your coursework
and forgot to say coursework is very important ask your teacher if you could retake the unit of coursework unless your teacher has sent it off for moderation
I Don't Know 79
Rep:
?
and forgot to say coursework is very important ask your teacher if you could retake the unit of coursework unless your teacher has sent it off for moderation
I got a C's in Macbeth and Transcript and F in Narrative and Descriptive.

Can you use this year aqa grade boundries and predict how much mark i need to get a C
pls
chris2791
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
sorry didnt read it properly ok will check
I Don't Know 79
Rep:
?
sorry didnt read it properly ok will check
thanks
I Don't Know 79
Rep:
?
so how much of mark would i have need this year to get a C or B
chris2791
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/sta...-JUNE-2015.PDF this is the markscheme for the english exam look at page 9 and then convert your coursework grade into a percentage with the percentage on the markscheme for a C grade and then you will get your total overall you will need

right this is what it was for AQA coursework:
93% = A*
83% = A
73% = B
63% = C

and this is the exam
85% - A*
75% - A
65% - B
55% - C
chris2791
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
couldnt find this yars percentage but i would be safe with these grades as they are higher than most year sorry
I Don't Know 79
Rep:
?
so i got a 2 c in englis lit so what would i need in the exam to confirm a C or get a B
chris2791
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
yes
I Don't Know 79
Rep:
?
if I do an English language paper now what you be able to mark it and give me a grade.
based on this grade boundaries u provided
chris2791
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Good luck i believe you can do it you have the drive
chris2791
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
yes i will
chris2791
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
but i will have to mark it around 5 o clock because im really busy today is that ok ?
I Don't Know 79
Rep:
?
yh thats fine thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (152)
59.61%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
22.75%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.65%

Watched Threads