Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Run-through of Unit 2 Business (AQA) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    1. Off-the-job training benefits - wrote about motivation increasing, which is especially important as CY has just recently left and so morale may be low. Also wrote about the new skills they can bring to the job (focusing on the Successful Delegation video as an example).

2. Consequences of under-utiliisation - wrote about staff being bored with their job and that the reputation of the firm will go down if they are seen to be inefficent, which will make recruitment harder if they want to attract the best employees.

3. For and against Warehouse manager...

For - very good for crisis management, and used the Internet service as an example of if the server goes down, the employees need clear and consise instructions. Very good if workers are unskilled - which we can assume the majority are because of the flow production used for the standardised product if basically pressing one button.. and if SL are to expand their operations, these workers will need clear instruction of all to do their job. This depends, though, if SL are going to actually diversify etc

Against - not motivating.. there is a need to motivate workers if SL are going to retain and attract the best workers. Also, a democratic approach may lead to more innovation because there is going to be a mix of ideas - however, is a homogenous product open to innovation>

4. Organisational structure - wrote about the fact that taks are clear for employees because of the functional structure, and they know where they belong within the firm. Wrote about the decentralised decision making that has occured in the past which has led to great successes in e-commerce and Ireland... and talked about the narrow span of control which means communication channels are clear and that there is alot of scope for promotion, and so employees are motviated.

5. Is stock management crucial - It is because of the JIT that Andrew introduced, and so stock management needed to be very effective here because if they couldn't get the product out to the customer.. the customer would go elsewhere because it's a standard product. Also crucial because to some extent, it was turned into a USP because they became a reliable service. It increased efficency, because the JIT meant that they were paying for holding stock, and so cash flow was in a better position. However, it depends on whether other competitors were being effective, whether employees were motivated by the stock management control and whether it is flexible and able to adapt to any future changes. There is also the need to look at othe5r factors that have determined the success - and not to just focus on stock management.

ReputationRep:
    Bump.

ReputationRep:
    I know I did really badly, so if I read any of that I'm bound to feel worse!
    Hope I did alrite in BUS3 so Unit 2 is the only retake I gotta do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James_W)
    1. Off-the-job training benefits - wrote about motivation increasing, which is especially important as CY has just recently left and so morale may be low. Also wrote about the new skills they can bring to the job (focusing on the Successful Delegation video as an example).

2. Consequences of under-utiliisation - wrote about staff being bored with their job and that the reputation of the firm will go down if they are seen to be inefficent, which will make recruitment harder if they want to attract the best employees.

3. For and against Warehouse manager...

For - very good for crisis management, and used the Internet service as an example of if the server goes down, the employees need clear and consise instructions. Very good if workers are unskilled - which we can assume the majority are because of the flow production used for the standardised product if basically pressing one button.. and if SL are to expand their operations, these workers will need clear instruction of all to do their job. This depends, though, if SL are going to actually diversify etc

Against - not motivating.. there is a need to motivate workers if SL are going to retain and attract the best workers. Also, a democratic approach may lead to more innovation because there is going to be a mix of ideas - however, is a homogenous product open to innovation>

4. Organisational structure - wrote about the fact that taks are clear for employees because of the functional structure, and they know where they belong within the firm. Wrote about the decentralised decision making that has occured in the past which has led to great successes in e-commerce and Ireland... and talked about the narrow span of control which means communication channels are clear and that there is alot of scope for promotion, and so employees are motviated.

5. Is stock management crucial - It is because of the JIT that Andrew introduced, and so stock management needed to be very effective here because if they couldn't get the product out to the customer.. the customer would go elsewhere because it's a standard product. Also crucial because to some extent, it was turned into a USP because they became a reliable service. It increased efficency, because the JIT meant that they were paying for holding stock, and so cash flow was in a better position. However, it depends on whether other competitors were being effective, whether employees were motivated by the stock management control and whether it is flexible and able to adapt to any future changes. There is also the need to look at othe5r factors that have determined the success - and not to just focus on stock management.
    hand is proper sore now

off the job training used, day 1 herzberg all about his motivation then day 3 i think about leadership styles etc, then had time to kill so mentioned a further about day2 empowerment.

under-utilisation same, didnt like it much but did claim employing new staff wil suffer

warehouse adopting michelles tactics, basically said lets be realistic a warehouse of dominant male workers who must abide budget/meet targets needs to be disciplined as time is money. then said [for] ads- democratic approach, share responsibility give w/manager more time to focus on other important ffactors instead of "monitoring" workers.

organisation - talked about CY delayering, improved comms etc

stock management threw me, basically heard '10mins remaining' and thought **** better start that last 15 marker. managed to write page + half did mention JIT but not to a massive extent, claimed n&p were offering next day or refund delivery adopting their efficiency and trying to benefit but mainly played off that hands dead....oh crap P3 tomorrow (btw business maths is hard never understand it but should get 3/6 give me P3 integration anyday)

ReputationRep:
    Differing tactics for the Off-the-job training then! I thought the question was asking the benefits of it generally.. so I didn't specically relate to the parts of the training - just the successful delegation as an example.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.