Anyone here use Linux? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 15 years ago
I think I will start on C++ after the January resits (I should study for them beforehand). When they are out of the way, I think I will be able to get into it seriously. I may pick up some books before then (they will be a relief from Dos Capital) but I can't really get enough time to do much until January (if I want to correct my AS results anyway).
Rich
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Originally posted by Leekey
I think I will start on C++ after the January resits (I should study for them beforehand). When they are out of the way, I think I will be able to get into it seriously. I may pick up some books before then (they will be a relief from Dos Capital) but I can't really get enough time to do much until January (if I want to correct my AS results anyway).
Yeah, it's a shame about these AS-levels holding back your real education!!
Leekey
Report 15 years ago
I really should complain!!!! My college owe me BIG for not giving me a computing tutor for 5 months during term so I figure I should be able to swindle some free lessons from them (either that or I want my coursework done for me).
Rich
Rep:
?
I really should complain!!!! My college owe me BIG for not giving me a computing tutor for 5 months during term so I figure I should be able to swindle some free lessons from them (either that or I want my coursework done for me).
No computing teacher for 5 months?!? What happened there? You should complain, if you think it's affected your results (which it most likely will have), but take my advice; do it before the results come out, otherwise they'll just ask why you've left it till now, and think you're just trying to find excuses now you've got your grades (obviously if you get the grade you deserve, then it doesn't matter, but I wouldn't take the risk!).

Yes, the coursework module of A2 Computing (AQA, I assume you're doing) is very boring. We all had to do database-centric apps as you can't really fulfill the specification otherwise. The waffle you have to supply to get all of the marks is mostly pointless and I couldn't wait to get the thing over with, even though I usually immensely enjoy programming.
Leekey
Report 15 years ago
Our college told us that they were considering applying for "mitigating circumstances" (not sure if this actually happened) but we have been advised to include a note about this on any job / uni applications either way. Normally you have to pay for resits but the college are going to be paying for them instead. They are also putting on revision classes for us so I figure I will resit the exam either way (my coursework was an "A" so I don't fancy repeating that unless I have to) and if my result is very bad, I will disagrigate and put on my Uni app that "I have taken some computing modules and am working towards an A-level in the subject". This will keep them satisfied and ensure that they dont see any major ****-up's on my app.

PS - My board is OCR.
Rich
Rep:
?
Our college told us that they were considering applying for "mitigating circumstances" (not sure if this actually happened) but we have been advised to include a note about this on any job / uni applications either way. Normally you have to pay for resits but the college are going to be paying for them instead. They are also putting on revision classes for us so I figure I will resit the exam either way (my coursework was an "A" so I don't fancy repeating that unless I have to) and if my result is very bad, I will disagrigate and put on my Uni app that "I have taken some computing modules and am working towards an A-level in the subject". This will keep them satisfied and ensure that they dont see any major ****-up's on my app.

PS - My board is OCR.
OK - it seems you've got it all sorted.
Leekey
Report 15 years ago
Not really but Im used to the educational system screwing me!

*Tries hard not to go into rant about a wasted year doing Chemistry for which I never sat the exam (at GCSE)*
Rich
Rep:
?
Getting back to the original topic, does anyone know how long a full install of Slackware Linux 9.0 should take? It's been going for ages, and it has no progress monitor, and I want to go to bed!!
Leekey
Report 15 years ago
I have no idea sorry, i dont have the whole going to bed thing to worry about for a while yet (insomnia blows!). Try to avoid falling asleep at your computer, this does result in serious neckache in the morning.
Rich
Rep:
?
I have no idea sorry, i dont have the whole going to bed thing to worry about for a while yet (insomnia blows!). Try to avoid falling asleep at your computer, this does result in serious neckache in the morning.
Surprisingly enough, I've never fallen asleep at the computer, although I came very close when pulling an all-nighter to finish some coursework last year ... you feel absolutely awful the next day though, especially if it's a weekday and you have lessons to sit through .

I suppose I could just leave it installing over night, but this laptop gets quite hot (it's quite old and a bit dodgy), so I'm in two minds as to whether or not that's safe.
Leekey
Report 15 years ago
Im thinking put it in a well ventilated area. Outside on a stone floor would be good but this is not recommended if you are looking to still own it in the morning (thieves are everywhere).

Try to avoid burning the house down though (bad for your relationship with parents / guardians etc....).
Rich
Rep:
?
Im thinking put it in a well ventilated area. Outside on a stone floor would be good but this is not recommended if you are looking to still own it in the morning (thieves are everywhere).

Try to avoid burning the house down though (bad for your relationship with parents / guardians etc....).
I think I'll just wait for it to finish, it can't be that long, it's only supposed to be 2 Gb.

I'll just have to make some extra-strong coffee.

Your reference to laptop-theft has just reminded me of tonight's episode of Spooks, does anyone else watch that? I think it's brilliant!
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
How did your Slack install finish up?

Languages I know:

some HTML
Java
PHP

I did know some JavaScript too, but cos I haven't used it in ages, I've forgotten it all. Lol.

I'm learning C++ at the moment . It's true if you know Java, C++ isn't that hard to pick up. Still, there's stuff that C++ has that Java doesn't (multiple inheritence for example). 'Teach Yourself C++ for Linux in 21 Days' from Sams is a good book, though there isn't much that's Linux specific (there's a little bit about making GUIs in GNOME and KDE and they tell you about the GNU compilers, but that's about it). Bjarne Stroustrup's book, 'The C++ Programming Language' is meant to be really good. After all, he is the creator of C++.
Rich
Rep:
?
Originally posted by Nylex
How did your Slack install finish up?
Yeah, it went without a hitch, detected all of my peripherals without a problem (not that there were many, as it was only an old laptop), and it's now running using KDE as the GUI. It surprised me how easy it was to configure and install as I too have heard that it can be quite difficult .
Nylex
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Good good . Does it come with lots of software?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
One word

*LINDOWS*

The best OS in the world. It is as easy as windows, but with a linux core. (ps I didnt buy it)
Ollie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i heard lindows wasnt that great
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
nah, its great for the non-nerds among us, that dont enjoy programming and hacking using telnet and stuff
Egan1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I havn't read all of the posts- mainly because the first few made no sense whatsoever to me so I appologise if this question has been answered...but for the sake of me knowing so that seeing this thread doesn't make me curious all the time- what is this 'Linux' programme thingymagiggy?

Cheers

Egan
Nylex
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Linux is an operating system, like Windows. However, unlike Windows, it's Open Source. This means people have the freedom to change it to suit their needs and stuff. As a result, there isn't one company that makes versions (distributions is a better word, I shouldn't really say versions.. but I won't confuse you with explaining why) of Linux, there are lots (examples being Mandrake, Red Hat and SuSe, the most well known ones). Hope that makes some sense. Richard/Leekey could probably give you a better explanation though .
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (205)
18.65%
No (667)
60.69%
Not really bothered about them (227)
20.66%

Watched Threads