The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Anyone been to/going to Durham Queen's Campus Uni?

So I'm heading off to Durham queen's campus Uni this autumn and I'm wondering whether there are opportunities to play netball or basketball as part of a team or just for fun on campus? If so are there any specific levels you have to be at to play?

Also, how did you and your flatmates cook? Did you each cook your own meal every night or did you cook together? I'm a lover of cooking and so would love to cook for everyone but just not sure how the groceries would work out.

Reply 1
Hi
I'm not at Queens but did go to an open day there - basically sport there is HUGE with inter-college leagues for netball and basketball (and every other sport you can think of!)as well as the university level stuff - from what we heard any level can be met. There is a new sports centre with a gym and indoor courts as well as outdoor pitches at the Stockton campus and the City campus also has its own sports centre.
No idea about the cooking bit!
(edited 8 years ago)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by SYG1
Hi
I'm not at Queens but did go to an open day there - basically sport there is HUGE with inter-college leagues for netball and basketball (and every other sport you can think of!)as well as the university level stuff - from what we heard any level can be met. There is a new sports centre with a gym and indoor courts as well as outdoor pitches at the Stockton campus and the City campus also has its own sports centre.
No idea about the cooking bit!

That's great, thank you very much :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by LouOla
So I'm heading off to Durham queen's campus Uni this autumn and I'm wondering whether there are opportunities to play netball or basketball as part of a team or just for fun on campus? If so are there any specific levels you have to be at to play?

Also, how did you and your flatmates cook? Did you each cook your own meal every night or did you cook together? I'm a lover of cooking and so would love to cook for everyone but just not sure how the groceries would work out.

Hey! I was a fresher last year, and it's great. There's lots of opportunities to get involved with sport, and you sign up in the first week at the freshers fair. In terms of cooking, it was mainly individually but at the same time so we could eat together. We did have a group of us do 'come dine with me' for about six weeks which was really fun! But you'll work it out with those you live with! I was in stevo, and if you want to talk then don't hesitate to send me a message! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by JAG95
Hey! I was a fresher last year, and it's great. There's lots of opportunities to get involved with sport, and you sign up in the first week at the freshers fair. In terms of cooking, it was mainly individually but at the same time so we could eat together. We did have a group of us do 'come dine with me' for about six weeks which was really fun! But you'll work it out with those you live with! I was in stevo, and if you want to talk then don't hesitate to send me a message! :smile:

That's really very helpful, thank you very much :biggrin:
Original post by LouOla

I've just finished first year of Butler. City college, but self catered :smile:

We all cooked individually because we had different tastes and habits. I tended to cook 4 portions of a good meal and freeze 3 of them for the next few weeks. Others tended to buy ready meals or cook just one portion. Often we'd be sitting in the kitchen together for a lot of the evening chatting or working, so we'd be making food and eating "together", just our own meals.

I cooked a few meals with my friendship group, little chaotic but fun. Just split the cost evenly minus the meat for the veggie and the wine for our non-drinking friend...

2 of my friends cooked as a flat a lot. It was cheaper and their flat definitely had a family feel and got on well, but it was a bit of a hassle sometimes with remembering to transfer money and people being in at different times.

You could definitely offer to cook a meal or two for your flat, flat meals every so often are always lovely. We just split the cost of groceries and then bank transferred although I guess you could all put in an equal amount of cash and use that instead :smile: It'll soon be clear whether it works long term or not, just make sure you don't end up always cooking!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by JAG95

I also organised the flat Christmas party, which involved a lot of planning and budgeting. We basically found out where was the cheapest, worked out how much it'd cost to feed 14 people for 2 days, and split the cost as £7 each. There was tonne of food, and it is well known as the best night we've had, so I'd definitely recommend doing something together!

In terms of college dining, you're fed twice a week, but you don't HAVE to go, and they sometimes let you take the meals in a little box so you can eat somewhere else or at a different time. It's worth going for the chocolate cake and enchiladas tbh.

Another thing we did together, in terms of eating, was ordering take out. We'd all either split the bill if we were sharing the food, or just pay for what we individually wanted. We ended up getting a lot of stuff free by ordering as a group, and a lot of leftovers. We usually always overestimated the amount of food we'd eat, but no one complained when they had less cooking to do the next day.

Even if people weren't cooking or eating at the same time, you found that you probably wouldn't be alone, as some one would hang out with you while you cooked and ate, unless everyone (or you) was busy. It's totally cool to eat in your room sometimes, or drag a laptop (or even TV) into the kitchen. We ended up dragging half the kitchen in my room to have a game of thrones marathon once. You can also eat in central (stevo college), like we did a lot. Helps if it's quiet so you can hog the TV or projector, but still a good place to chill and eat together. Also excellent for take out.
Reply 7
Original post by Anny Smiles
I've just finished first year of Butler. City college, but self catered :smile:

We all cooked individually because we had different tastes and habits. I tended to cook 4 portions of a good meal and freeze 3 of them for the next few weeks. Others tended to buy ready meals or cook just one portion. Often we'd be sitting in the kitchen together for a lot of the evening chatting or working, so we'd be making food and eating "together", just our own meals.

I cooked a few meals with my friendship group, little chaotic but fun. Just split the cost evenly minus the meat for the veggie and the wine for our non-drinking friend...

2 of my friends cooked as a flat a lot. It was cheaper and their flat definitely had a family feel and got on well, but it was a bit of a hassle sometimes with remembering to transfer money and people being in at different times.

You could definitely offer to cook a meal or two for your flat, flat meals every so often are always lovely. We just split the cost of groceries and then bank transferred although I guess you could all put in an equal amount of cash and use that instead :smile: It'll soon be clear whether it works long term or not, just make sure you don't end up always cooking!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your experience in a self catered college is all is really helpful!! Thank you :smile: I look forward to seeing what my flatmates are interested in doing :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by JAG95
I also organised the flat Christmas party, which involved a lot of planning and budgeting. We basically found out where was the cheapest, worked out how much it'd cost to feed 14 people for 2 days, and split the cost as £7 each. There was tonne of food, and it is well known as the best night we've had, so I'd definitely recommend doing something together!

In terms of college dining, you're fed twice a week, but you don't HAVE to go, and they sometimes let you take the meals in a little box so you can eat somewhere else or at a different time. It's worth going for the chocolate cake and enchiladas tbh.

Another thing we did together, in terms of eating, was ordering take out. We'd all either split the bill if we were sharing the food, or just pay for what we individually wanted. We ended up getting a lot of stuff free by ordering as a group, and a lot of leftovers. We usually always overestimated the amount of food we'd eat, but no one complained when they had less cooking to do the next day.

Even if people weren't cooking or eating at the same time, you found that you probably wouldn't be alone, as some one would hang out with you while you cooked and ate, unless everyone (or you) was busy. It's totally cool to eat in your room sometimes, or drag a laptop (or even TV) into the kitchen. We ended up dragging half the kitchen in my room to have a game of thrones marathon once. You can also eat in central (stevo college), like we did a lot. Helps if it's quiet so you can hog the TV or projector, but still a good place to chill and eat together. Also excellent for take out.

I abosolutely love the idea of hosting a little christmas party in my flat and cooking the food for that, thanks :smile: I just hope my flatmates and I get along haha

I also like how the take aways work too, that sounds really nice.

Thank you very much for the suggestions and the help- makes me really look forward to going in a couple of weeks! :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by LouOla
I abosolutely love the idea of hosting a little christmas party in my flat and cooking the food for that, thanks :smile: I just hope my flatmates and I get along haha

I also like how the take aways work too, that sounds really nice.

Thank you very much for the suggestions and the help- makes me really look forward to going in a couple of weeks! :biggrin:

You'll absolutely love it! What college are you in?
Reply 10
Original post by JAG95
You'll absolutely love it! What college are you in?

I hope so! I'm in Stephenson College. If you were in Stephenson too, did you ever try out for any sports as in to play for the college team? Like do you think it would be easy for me to make the College Netball or Basketball team?

:smile:
Reply 11
Original post by LouOla
I hope so! I'm in Stephenson College. If you were in Stephenson too, did you ever try out for any sports as in to play for the college team? Like do you think it would be easy for me to make the College Netball or Basketball team?

:smile:

I am stevo too! I joined the football team about half way through the year, and that was super easy, but I didn't keep it up as I wanted to do it from the start instead. But yeah, joining a team is really easy. In the freshers fair, during freshers week, you see a,k the sports and societies and you can sign up to literally everything if you want. They'll then probably send you an email for try-outs or a first sorta get together, and just take it from there. There's usually a few team so it's really popular sports, so you won't be turned down! If you want to play for the university it's more competitive, but you can always play for college! :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by JAG95
I am stevo too! I joined the football team about half way through the year, and that was super easy, but I didn't keep it up as I wanted to do it from the start instead. But yeah, joining a team is really easy. In the freshers fair, during freshers week, you see a,k the sports and societies and you can sign up to literally everything if you want. They'll then probably send you an email for try-outs or a first sorta get together, and just take it from there. There's usually a few team so it's really popular sports, so you won't be turned down! If you want to play for the university it's more competitive, but you can always play for college! :smile:

That's really super helpful, thank you! :smile: That is really exciting :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest