The Student Room Group

Abbreviations in my personal statement?

Hey :smile:
so I've done the first draft of my personal statement (early entry so it's got to be in quite soon- I'm not that eager omg) and it's quite a bit over the character limit so I'm trying to cut bits out. One of the things that I'd like to make shorter is a bit about my visit to the US embassy in London, and currently I've gone for the whole 'the embassy of the United States of America'. It would be great if I could shorten that to the USA's embassy or something to that effect, but I've heard not to use contractions and abbreviations, etc.?

Do you guys think it'd be okay to just say the US embassy?
Original post by desmoulins
Hey :smile:
so I've done the first draft of my personal statement (early entry so it's got to be in quite soon- I'm not that eager omg) and it's quite a bit over the character limit so I'm trying to cut bits out. One of the things that I'd like to make shorter is a bit about my visit to the US embassy in London, and currently I've gone for the whole 'the embassy of the United States of America'. It would be great if I could shorten that to the USA's embassy or something to that effect, but I've heard not to use contractions and abbreviations, etc.?

I think US Embassy is probably absolutely fine. Abbreviations and contractions get problematic when they sound informal or rushed or where there's a risk that the reader might not understand what it means, but none of that applies to "US" really.
Reply 2
Original post by Plagioclase
I think US Embassy is probably absolutely fine. Abbreviations and contractions get problematic when they sound informal or rushed or where there's a risk that the reader might not understand what it means, but none of that applies to "US" really.

thank you!! :smile: just 525 more characters to cut out :wink:

Yes - it's well understood what you're referring to and mimics the style guide for a number of broadsheets (though not all).
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
Yes - it's well understood what you're referring to and mimics the style guide for a number of broadsheets (though not all).

thanks! :biggrin:
thank you!! :smile: just 525 more characters to cut out :wink:

You can do it :smile: I had about 6000 characters to cut out of mine!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending