The Student Room Group

STILL don't know which subject to drop for A2

At AS level I took English Lit, History, Philosophy & Ethics and Spanish and I'm 95% sure that I'm going to take History at university. Before getting my AS results I was certain that my worst grade was going to be Spanish and that was going to be the one I would drop. However in the end I ended up getting Bs in English and History, and Cs in Spanish and P&E.
My problem is that I'm not confident that I can handle doing all 4 subjects (even though I enjoy them all) especially because I'm doing the EPQ as well. So really my choice is between Spanish and P&E. I do feel like I have the potential to get a higher grade in P&E particularly because I was on track to do much better and it seems like I just had an off day in my exam. But, I really do want to be able to speak Spanish at a high level and I know how impressive a language can look. I adore both these subjects and my teachers are brilliant so I'm really at a loss for what to do. As I see it my options are;
1) Drop Spanish which is a slightly more risky subject I would say (and potentially resit my AS P&E to bring it in line with my other two subjects)
2) Drop P&E in favour of a 'more useful' subject.
3) Or do all four and maybe think about not doing the EPQ (I've heard it's a lot of hard work but I am worried because I've heard it's something universities really like).
Any advice would be highly appreciated and welcome. Thanks!
Original post by restless5oul
At AS level I took English Lit, History, Philosophy & Ethics and Spanish and I'm 95% sure that I'm going to take History at university. Before getting my AS results I was certain that my worst grade was going to be Spanish and that was going to be the one I would drop. However in the end I ended up getting Bs in English and History, and Cs in Spanish and P&E.
My problem is that I'm not confident that I can handle doing all 4 subjects (even though I enjoy them all) especially because I'm doing the EPQ as well. So really my choice is between Spanish and P&E. I do feel like I have the potential to get a higher grade in P&E particularly because I was on track to do much better and it seems like I just had an off day in my exam. But, I really do want to be able to speak Spanish at a high level and I know how impressive a language can look. I adore both these subjects and my teachers are brilliant so I'm really at a loss for what to do. As I see it my options are;
1) Drop Spanish which is a slightly more risky subject I would say (and potentially resit my AS P&E to bring it in line with my other two subjects)
2) Drop P&E in favour of a 'more useful' subject.
3) Or do all four and maybe think about not doing the EPQ (I've heard it's a lot of hard work but I am worried because I've heard it's something universities really like).
Any advice would be highly appreciated and welcome. Thanks!

Only you can decide which subject you would prefer to drop (if any) - both are respected subjects so no worries in that regard. I did 4 A2's and didn't find it a problem but everyone is different.

I will say that all my uni offers were for 3 grades so viewed my 4th subject as an insurance, as it were.

I didn't bother with EPQ preferring to concentrate on the 4 exams instead - and in truth can't see that the EPQ was very helpful to my classmates that did do it. It does give you points but if offers are for three grades then it is useless/meaningless.

Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending