Jack1066
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I got BCCE at AS (meh) and dropped the E (Biology)
B- Economics
C - Maths & Chemistry

We do Welsh Bac at our school and its getting accepted by quite a few Unis in Wales and England, so I was planning on dropping Chemistry so I'd have Econ, Maths and welsh bac as my grades.

I was really close to an A in Economics and I'm thinking of getting my paper remarked anyway, and I think I'll be capable of getting an A in A2. Maths was disappointing and I'm resitting C1 and C2 (Got an A in S1 and Ds in core).
Chemistry was really difficult and I'm surprised I even got a C tbh.

I'm planning on doing Finance or accounting or something like that at Uni, so chemistry isn't actually needed, so dropping that would actually take a massive weight off my shoulders when it comes to revision. The Unis I'm thinking of applying to are Bristol, Exeter, Cardiff and Manchester. They all accept Welsh Bac as an A level (Equivalent to an A grade) but I feel nervous about making an application with only 2 A2 subjects on there.

My grades (if goes to plan) will hopefully be AAB at A2, with Welsh Bac and Economics at an A, and Maths being a B.

What do you think? Could I get some offers with this plan?
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You need to read-up on what each Unis says about Welsh Bac on each of their websites.

The usual arrangement is that you can substitute your Welsh Bac grade instead of the the lowest A level grade - as long as this subject isnt a 'required' subject. But - you do need to check this very carefully both for each specific Uni AND the individual subject/course you are interested in.
Jack1066
Rep:
?
(Original post by returnmigrant)
You need to read-up on what each Unis says about Welsh Bac on each of their websites.

The usual arrangement is that you can substitute your Welsh Bac grade instead of the the lowest A level grade - as long as this subject isnt a 'required' subject. But - you do need to check this very carefully both for each specific Uni AND the individual subject/course you are interested in.
So by "substitute", if the course allows it, I could apply with just 2 A2s and Welsh Bac?

So far I've got Exeter which allows an A in Welsh Bac as an A grade to submit. Its clearly explained.

Bristol however say this for welsh bac: Requirements are as for A-levels where one non-subject-specified A-level can be replaced by the same grade in the Welsh Baccalaureate Advanced Level Core.

Does this mean I can apply with 2 A levels plus Welsh Bac? I'm horrible at interpreting. It says replace, so do I have to have a 3rd A level for it to be replace?
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jack1066)
Bristol however say this for welsh bac: Requirements are as for A-levels where one non-subject-specified A-level can be replaced by the same grade in the Welsh Baccalaureate Advanced Level Core.Does this mean I can apply with 2 A levels plus Welsh Bac?
It means you have to be taking 3 A levels - but that come results day, you can use your Welsh Bac grade instead of a lower A level grade IF that A level subject isnt a 'required subject'.
Jack1066
Rep:
?
(Original post by returnmigrant)
It means you have to be taking 3 A levels - but that come results day, you can use your Welsh Bac grade instead of a lower A level grade IF that A level subject isnt a 'required subject'.
Ohh ok. Thank you! Guess I won't be having a nice empty timetable then haha
troubadour.
Badges: 18
Report 5 years ago
Ohh ok. Thank you! Guess I won't be having a nice empty timetable then haha
I should also point out that the Welsh Bacc, if you've just finished AS, is going to be graded so it's not just a matter of passing the qualification - you'll need to get the same grade in the Bacc as the A-level grade you're hoping to use it as a replacement for. Just thought I should point that out.
Jack1066
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hydeman)
I should also point out that the Welsh Bacc, if you've just finished AS, is going to be graded so it's not just a matter of passing the qualification - you'll need to get the same grade in the Bacc as the A-level grade you're hoping to use it as a replacement for. Just thought I should point that out.
So I if I get an A in the Welsh Bac but a C in chemistry, does that mean I can use the A as a grade requirement, or will it be a C?
troubadour.
Report 5 years ago
So I if I get an A in the Welsh Bac but a C in chemistry, does that mean I can use the A as a grade requirement, or will it be a C?
If Chemistry is a required subject, then no, you can't. But if it's just a third subject that isn't needed for the course, then yes. You should check individual entry requirements.
Jack1066
Rep:
?
If Chemistry is a required subject, then no, you can't. But if it's just a third subject that isn't needed for the course, then yes. You should check individual entry requirements.
Ah brilll. I'm applying for finance so Chemistry is not a required subject. So just to clarify, I literally just need to sit the chemistry exam to swap it out for Welsh Bac? It doesn't matter if I get a U even, it would just be switched to an A in Welsh Bac?
troubadour.
Report 5 years ago
Ah brilll. I'm applying for finance so Chemistry is not a required subject. So just to clarify, I literally just need to sit the chemistry exam to swap it out for Welsh Bac? It doesn't matter if I get a U even, it would just be switched to an A in Welsh Bac?
Different universities have different policies about that. For example, Cardiff University insist that you take three A-levels and get at least a C grade in the third A-level. Keele insists you get at least a B in the third subject and so on. Bristol on the other hand, doesn't have a minimum for the third A-level. You need to check with the individual universities by contacting them directly. It won't be a good feeling if you find out they have a minimum requirement in the third subject and you've got a U in chemistry...
Jack1066
Rep:
?
Different universities have different policies about that. For example, Cardiff University insist that you take three A-levels and get at least a C grade in the third A-level. Keele insists you get at least a B in the third subject and so on. Bristol on the other hand, doesn't have a minimum for the third A-level. You need to check with the individual universities by contacting them directly. It won't be a good feeling if you find out they have a minimum requirement in the third subject and you've got a U in chemistry...
Ah ok! got some more research to do then. Thank you very much for telling me this, I would have been dicked over if I'd have just dropped chemistry haha
troubadour.
Report 5 years ago
Ah ok! got some more research to do then. Thank you very much for telling me this, I would have been dicked over if I'd have just dropped chemistry haha
No worries. Good luck in your Finance aspirations.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (95)
13.91%
I'm not sure (32)
4.69%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (214)
31.33%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.34%
I'm not a current university student (326)
47.73%

Watched Threads