The Student Room Group

Extra AS?

Hi! So, enrolment day is tomorrow for me, and I'm going into Year 13. I'm not entirely happy with my results of AABB though, so I'm planning on taking an extra AS to help boost me up a bit.

At AS, I did: Eng Lit, History, Sociology and Philosophy. My options:

Drama: English is my best subject, but I've not done Drama since Year 8. I do find it interesting though and I love watching theatre, and know enough to go by.

English Literature and Language: Because what better way to use your ability in a subject than to get two AS Levels in it? My only concern is that the language part won't be that cared for by universities, and I'm aiming for Russell Group.

French: I did not enjoy my time at GCSE, but that was because of the teacher and school, not the subject. I'm at a new place now and got a pretty good grade at GCSE. I know it's also useful in application for uni and jobs?

Law: I've heard that if I did want to do Law at university, they prefer you not to have it. At the same time, I liked what I saw last year before I was put out of it for medicals reasons (I've since recovered.)

Psychology: Well, really the goal was a Psychology/History degree but I never found one. I was going to do this in Year 12 but never found the right room in time on enrolment day.

So any ideas which one I should take?
Reply 1
Original post by SkyRees
Hi! So, enrolment day is tomorrow for me, and I'm going into Year 13. I'm not entirely happy with my results of AABB though, so I'm planning on taking an extra AS to help boost me up a bit.

At AS, I did: Eng Lit, History, Sociology and Philosophy. My options:

Drama: English is my best subject, but I've not done Drama since Year 8. I do find it interesting though and I love watching theatre, and know enough to go by.

English Literature and Language: Because what better way to use your ability in a subject than to get two AS Levels in it? My only concern is that the language part won't be that cared for by universities, and I'm aiming for Russell Group.

French: I did not enjoy my time at GCSE, but that was because of the teacher and school, not the subject. I'm at a new place now and got a pretty good grade at GCSE. I know it's also useful in application for uni and jobs?

Law: I've heard that if I did want to do Law at university, they prefer you not to have it. At the same time, I liked what I saw last year before I was put out of it for medicals reasons (I've since recovered.)

Psychology: Well, really the goal was a Psychology/History degree but I never found one. I was going to do this in Year 12 but never found the right room in time on enrolment day.

So any ideas which one I should take?

How are you not happy with those grades? They are great, so well done :biggrin:! What subject area are you wanting to go in to ? if you are stuck have a look on here- http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/courses/ and https://www.ucas.com/. Are you continuing all the subject onto A2 or are you dropping one, because for A2's plus an As it would be rather a lot of work.
Original post by Emsta
How are you not happy with those grades? They are great, so well done :biggrin:! What subject area are you wanting to go in to ? if you are stuck have a look on here- http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/courses/ and https://www.ucas.com/. Are you continuing all the subject onto A2 or are you dropping one, because for A2's plus an As it would be rather a lot of work.

Haha,I know it sounds horrible - I don't think they're bad grades, I'd just like to try for better ^^

I got denied some of them and chose French in the end. Currently working on relearning everything! As for my course, probably Ancient History or History. Some places have told me I need at least an AS language to do the Latin part though :smile:

That thing is really helpful though, thank you!
Oh, and yeah I'm doing 3 A2 and 1 AS. I'm near fluent in French anyway and English Lit isnt goinf to be much work at all really ^^
Reply 4
Original post by SkyRees
Haha,I know it sounds horrible - I don't think they're bad grades, I'd just like to try for better ^^

I got denied some of them and chose French in the end. Currently working on relearning everything! As for my course, probably Ancient History or History. Some places have told me I need at least an AS language to do the Latin part though :smile:

That thing is really helpful though, thank you!

Talk to your tutor and ask them if they think you could manage with the extra AS level, maybe look for a course where you don't need the language.
Original post by Emsta
Talk to your tutor and ask them if they think you could manage with the extra AS level, maybe look for a course where you don't need the language.

My school is picky; they would have outright said no if they thought I couldn't.
As for the course, I could do ^^
Reply 6
Original post by SkyRees
My school is picky; they would have outright said no if they thought I couldn't.
As for the course, I could do ^^

ah and yeah

Quick Reply

Latest