Easiest Russell Group Universities to get into?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
lego12
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
What are the 5 easiest RG Unis to get into for Law?
troubadour.
Badges: 18
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by lego12)
What are the 5 easiest RG Unis to get into?
You'll have to be more specific than that. Which course are you hoping to get into?

Also, I feel like there needs to be a huge public enlightenment drive to let people know what the Russell Group actually is... There are bad RG universities and good non-RG universities and I wish people understood that.
Sir Candour
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It depends highly on your subject. For example, my RG uni, Queen Mary, will slaughter you if you're applying for medicine. I think that we're pretty demanding for law as well.

Our humanities are obviously more lax than many of the others though (although our politics department beat KCL's this year, I think).
lego12
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Hydeman)
You'll have to be more specific than that. Which course are you hoping to get into?

Also, I feel like there needs to be a huge public enlightenment drive to let people know what the Russell Group actually is... There are bad RG universities and good non-RG universities and I wish people understood that.
No RG university is going to be considered bad unless you're one of those weird elitists
troubadour.
Report 5 years ago
No RG university is going to be considered bad unless you're one of those weird elitists
Again, it depends on what you mean by 'bad.' I resent the general attitude on this forum that the Russell Group actually means something. It's a self-appointed group of public research universities who all agree that their research is excellent. The implication that it's either RG or it's bad is a sinister one especially because there are good universities that aren't in the RG e.g. Bath, St. Andrews etc.
Sir Candour
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Hydeman)
Again, it depends on what you mean by 'bad.' I resent the general attitude on this forum that the Russell Group actually means something. It's a self-appointed group of public research universities who all agree that their research is excellent. The implication that it's either RG or it's bad is a sinister one especially because there are good universities that aren't in the RG e.g. Bath, St. Andrews etc.
Universities like Bath and St Andrews are great, and their rankings display why. Are they as dedicated, funded, and sucessful in research though? I don't know myself, and I'll check.

I think that the RG has academic importance, but it should stop being sold as a brand to undergraduates, many of whom never plan to have a research degree, who honestly are affected more in their studies by facets such as student satisfaction and SU funding (which normal ranking tables better reflect).
Depleted
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Liverpool, Southampton, Cardiff, then it depends on the course. Probably QMUL and one of Leeds, Sheffield, York and Birmingham
Flather
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Birmingham, Southampton, Queens, Queen Mary, Cardiff
Fry_Cook_of_Doom
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you don't go to Oxbridge, you may as well die.
troubadour.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Sir Candour)
Universities like Bath and St Andrews are great, and their rankings display why. Are they as dedicated, funded, and sucessful in research though? I don't know myself, and I'll check.

I think that the RG has academic importance, but it should stop being sold as a brand to undergraduates, many of whom never plan to have a research degree, who honestly are affected more in their studies by facets such as student satisfaction and SU funding (which normal ranking tables better reflect).
Exactly. It's just a group of self-appointed public research universities. I don't like the idea of people using the term without knowing that. They've simply been taught a hierarchy where you've got Oxbridge at the top and, if you can't into them, then the rest of the RG is the next best thing and if you can't get into any of those either, then you've gone to a 'bad' university.

I also worry on a different front that the RG behaves like a cartel, almost. A lobby group, if you will. It has some of the best research in the UK but it actively tries to maintain its share of research funding so that it can keep this title and deprive others of it. It defeats the point of university (and schools as well, in my view) if they're always obsessing about being rated this many stars or getting that many points and ticks for their research just to get into a high spot in a trusted league table.
arch0wnz
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Flather)
Birmingham, Southampton, Queens, Queen Mary, Cardiff
Birmingham is pretty high up there though for some courses, such as Chem Eng etc. I think it may be on a subject by subject basis though.
Flather
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by arch0wnz)
Birmingham is pretty high up there though for some courses, such as Chem Eng etc. I think it may be on a subject by subject basis though.
Majority of the people I know going are going on unconditionals
arch0wnz
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Majority of the people I know going are going on unconditionals
What is the criteria for unconditional offers?
Flather
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What do you mean?
jam277
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Depleted)
Liverpool, Southampton, Cardiff, then it depends on the course. Probably QMUL and one of Leeds, Sheffield, York and Birmingham
Na Liverpool depends on course. QMUL is easier to get into than Liverpool imo.
Juichiro
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Keyword explained: lack of condition.
Windies
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Sir Candour)
It depends highly on your subject. For example, my RG uni, Queen Mary, will slaughter you if you're applying for medicine. I think that we're pretty demanding for law as well.

Our humanities are obviously more lax than many of the others though (although our politics department beat KCL's this year, I think).
You at QMUL?

I'm applying to both KCL and QMUL for History
arch0wnz
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What do you mean?
As in, what sort of grades do you need to have for them to offer you an unconditional offer? I mean, they must really want you if they're offering you an unconditional so what does a student need to have that they can offer the university so that they give you an unconditional?

(Original post by Juichiro)
Keyword explained: lack of condition.
No.
SamuelSingleton
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As in, what sort of grades do you need to have for them to offer you an unconditional offer? I mean, they must really want you if they're offering you an unconditional so what does a student need to have that they can offer the university so that they give you an unconditional?
As someone else has mentioned, you need to satisfy their condition to get the unconditional...
If for example you get 100% in all your AS grades and you've applied for a university that wants 240 UCAS points, then not even showing up to A2 you've already met the conditions
Juichiro
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SamuelSingleton)
As someone else has mentioned, you need to satisfy their condition to get the unconditional...
If for example you get 100% in all your AS grades and you've applied for a university that wants 240 UCAS points, then not even showing up to A2 you've already met the conditions
You would have to be crazy to do that.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (128)
28.38%
No - I have already returned home (61)
13.53%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (88)
19.51%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (42)
9.31%
No - I live at home during term anyway (132)
29.27%

Watched Threads