The Student Room Group

im in your 9 and i want to be a doctor

im in middle set for science .
i don't know what to choose for my gcse subjects , i want to be a doctor one day and earn money to live on it but i'm still middle set at science so i don't know what level i have to get to get triple science. and what other subjects im going to have to choose to get into cambrige or oxford ....i dont know the requirement but all i know that i want to be a doctor one day

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Your GCSE results only matter towards doing A level, and towards medicine in Oxford (I believe). You need at least B grade GCSE double science to study medicine at Oxford. However, if I were you I would look at other options too: Medicine is a very competitive subject, and you have to be the best of the best to do well.
10 years of your life. too hard just be nurse
You're still at an early stage. Sets in sciences don't really matter. What do matter are your grades at GCSEs and A levels. If you want to become a doctor I'm guessing you have a keen interest in sciences. I suggest you take triple sciences, maths and English and alongside them take either history/geography and preferably a language. Try to do as well as you can in your GCSEs so preferably all A* and As. At A levels try choosing science subjects so biology and chemistry which are quite essential and alongside them either maths/physics but for your fourth choice you can choose any subject. At A levels, to have a higher chance of getting into a good university (especially Oxford and Cambridge) it will require you to achieve A* and A grades. So for now concentrate on doing as well as you can at GCSEs :smile:
Original post by shreya kc
i don't know what to choose for my gcse subjects , i want to be a doctor one day and earn money to live on it but i'm still middle set at science so i don't know what level i have to get to get triple science. and what other subjects im going to have to choose to get into cambrige or oxford ....i dont know the requirement but all i know that i want to be a doctor one day

Just do well at GCSE and A-level (easier said than done). For Oxford you need lots of A*s at GCSE and the current A-level requirement is A*AA although it may rise by the time you're applying.

Just out of interest, what do you know about medicine at Oxford or Cambridge that makes you want to do it? Or is it a prestige thing?
i dont know the requirement but all i know that i want to be a doctor one day

Why? What is good about it? What are the downsides? What are you basing your information on? Tell me about the other career paths you have considered.

i don't know what to choose for my gcse subjects , i want to be a doctor one day and earn money to live on...

As opposed to... working for free and living without money?

it but i'm still middle set at science so i don't know what level i have to get to get triple science. and what other subjects im going to have to choose to get into cambrige or oxford ....

GCSE subjects? Doesn't matter in all honesty. Getting triple science is probabl good for your learning. Having at least one language is also good (though is this now a national requirement?).

Don't do more than 10 (no uni requires more than 10 and plenty will give you more credit for more A*s - you gain nothing by over-stretching yourself).

Don't do any GCSEs or ASs a year early - the grades you get a very frequently much worse than you would have got a year later, and if you do well? Well then unis may disregard it as it wasn't done in the same sitting.

AS subjects for medicine - Biology, Chemistry and two other academic subjects. Cambridge requires 3 sciences if you want to apply there, but is the only uni to do so at the time of writing.
Original post by nexttime
Why? What is good about it? What are the downsides? What are you basing your information on? Tell me about the other career paths you have considered.

As opposed to... working for free and living without money?

GCSE subjects? Doesn't matter in all honesty. Getting triple science is probabl good for your learning. Having at least one language is also good (though is this now a national requirement?).

Don't do more than 10 (no uni requires more than 10 and plenty will give you more credit for more A*s - you gain nothing by over-stretching yourself).

Don't do any GCSEs or ASs a year early - the grades you get a very frequently much worse than you would have got a year later, and if you do well? Well then unis may disregard it as it wasn't done in the same sitting.

AS subjects for medicine - Biology, Chemistry and two other academic subjects. Cambridge requires 3 sciences if you want to apply there, but is the only uni to do so at the time of writing.

You can't really live without money.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would recommend stepping up your game, this may sound harsh but medicine is competitive and most doctors from Oxbridge were in top sets at school. For GCSE subjects I'd say show that you're a well rounded student, take a humanity (history or geography) and a language, along with triple science and the required subjects. It's crucial that you do well in science and maths so make sure that you don't mess around in those lessons!
haha

Not sure what is so funny to be honest. Everyone here is giving you good advice and you laugh. I don't think I would want to be treated by someone who ignores good advice and laughs instead.
Become a nurse instead, the career prospects are much better when you actually look into it.
Reply 10
you need more than 8 A*s for gcse and lads of extracurricular like D of E and like 2A* and 2As for a level
Reply 11
Original post by ahmedon
you need more than 8 A*s for gcse and lads of extracurricular like D of E and like 2A* and 2As for a level

Why on Earth are you telling OP BS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Alan-K
Not sure what is so funny to be honest. Everyone here is giving you good advice and you laugh. I don't think I would want to be treated by someone who ignores good advice and laughs instead.

i was just laughing at the comment ," just be a nurse instead", im sorry if i find that amusing im 13
Reply 13
Original post by Alan-K

i love all the advice people gave me and it has helped because now im in top set science
Why medicine?
Reply 15
Original post by audreygal
Why medicine?

idk, i have an interest in bio and chem and medicine you also get payed a fair amount lol. but yeah i enjoy it.
one day i wanna be those people who save peoples lives in hospitals (haha) or maybe a childrens doctor , i like children but before all of that i need to get triple science.
A bit early but here's a small list of stuff you need to do:

- Do GCSEs and get as high as you can (some medical schools have very high GCSE reqs: Oxford, Birmingham, Cardiff etc). Try and do triple science instead of double, not that necessary but it looks better and is quite useful.
- Pick Biology and Chemistry for your A-level subjects. Try and get AAAA at AS with MINIMUM AAA predictions.
- In the summer after yr12, register and sit the UKCAT. If you want, register for the BMAT
-During all of this you must also do work experience, volunteering and more research into medicine.
- Apply for med by October 15th

You are wayyyyy too early to be thinking about most of this. However, I guess doing some volunteering right now wouldn't be so bad however you'll struggle to get anything substantial due to your age.

I only starting making preparations for medicine when I started year 12 and I still (just barely) got an offer. Just enjoy yourself for now, do some light reading around medicine and watch a few documentaries every so often. Smash your GCSEs and only then can you properly think about medicine :smile:

Best of luck OP on whatever you end up doing! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
idk, i have an interest in bio and chem and medicine you also get payed a fair amount lol. but yeah i enjoy it.
one day i wanna be those people who save peoples lives in hospitals (haha) or maybe a childrens doctor , i like children but before all of that i need to get triple science.

In the UK, doctors are seriously underpaid. If money is your objective go into banking. I just got accepted into Southampton medical school and my brother studies Economics and econometrics at Nottingham. He just got a summer internship at Goldman Sacchs and he'll be paid £6000 for 6 weeks! That's a 1/3 of what I'll get as an F1 junior Doctor per year.He doesn't even have to study as much as I will. Yes medicine is a great profession but you need to be really passionate and know why you want to do it to pull you through. It needs to be your reason and not anyone else's. Get work experience in year 10 and volunteer at a local care home to see why you want to do it.
Also, I'd your school don't allow you to take triple you can do it another centre.
You'd need about 4 A*+ to be competitive for med

Quick Reply

Latest