Hashim123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
To cut a long story short, I was home-schooled, and came out of it with no GCSEs or A-Levels. I went to college and did an Extended BTEC, as well as a B in GCSE English (was predicted an A* but being my first ever exam I lost it and took way too long), and I'm due to study GCSE Maths this year. I've felt for a while that my knowledge of certain subjects (well, probably every subject) is deficient due to not actually having studied anything, and I really want to learn some subjects - purely for the knowledge, I don't really have a career route that GCSEs or A-Levels will help me go into at this point.

So I'm a bit overwhelmed at the whole situation, and I'm really just wondering what my options are, so if anyone with a little more knowledge of the system than me (virtually everyone on here) could help spell them out, I'd really appreciate it.

To try and get some specific answers, I also have a few questions that I would really appreciate well-informed answers to.

1. I really want to do A-Levels. Is it at all possible to do A-Levels without having done any GCSEs, both in terms of level of study and for getting onto a course? Do you need to have studied subjects at GCSE-level to make sense of what's going on at A-Level? Are GCSEs necessary? Fwiw, I'm not a genius, but I'm not all that dumb either.

2. If I did want to do A-Levels this year, how likely am I to get into a course being so late during the year?

3. As someone that turned 20 in June, and already has a DDM at BTEC, are A-Levels likely to cost anything for me?

Once again, any and all help is appreciated 'cause my head is all over the place atm.

Thanks!
Emsta
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Hashim123)
To cut a long story short, I was home-schooled, and came out of it with no GCSEs or A-Levels. I went to college and did an Extended BTEC, as well as a B in GCSE English (was predicted an A* but being my first ever exam I lost it and took way too long), and I'm due to study GCSE Maths this year. I've felt for a while that my knowledge of certain subjects (well, probably every subject) is deficient due to not actually having studied anything, and I really want to learn some subjects - purely for the knowledge, I don't really have a career route that GCSEs or A-Levels will help me go into at this point.

So I'm a bit overwhelmed at the whole situation, and I'm really just wondering what my options are, so if anyone with a little more knowledge of the system than me (virtually everyone on here) could help spell them out, I'd really appreciate it.

To try and get some specific answers, I also have a few questions that I would really appreciate well-informed answers to.

1. I really want to do A-Levels. Is it at all possible to do A-Levels without having done any GCSEs, both in terms of level of study and for getting onto a course? Do you need to have studied subjects at GCSE-level to make sense of what's going on at A-Level? Are GCSEs necessary? Fwiw, I'm not a genius, but I'm not all that dumb either.

2. If I did want to do A-Levels this year, how likely am I to get into a course being so late during the year?

3. As someone that turned 20 in June, and already has a DDM at BTEC, are A-Levels likely to cost anything for me?

Once again, any and all help is appreciated 'cause my head is all over the place atm.

Thanks!
Most places do want GCSE's to do A-levels however some places may make exceptions, so ring around some colleges and see what they say? Have you though of a apprenticeship? What was your BTEC in ?
Hashim123
Rep:
?
Can anyone else chip in here?

(Original post by Emsta)
Most places do want GCSE's to do A-levels however some places may make exceptions, so ring around some colleges and see what they say? Have you though of a apprenticeship? What was your BTEC in ?
I might do that. Do you know whether it's likely to be too late at this stage, since most A-Levels seem to already be starting? Also, are they likely to cost anything cos of my age and the fact I've alreayd got a BTEC?

Like I said, wanting to do it for the actual subjects themselves rather than for the sake of a particular vocation, so apprenticeships are out. BTEC was in Creative Media.
Emsta
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Hashim123)
Can anyone else chip in here?

I might do that. Do you know whether it's likely to be too late at this stage, since most A-Levels seem to already be starting? Also, are they likely to cost anything cos of my age and the fact I've alreayd got a BTEC?

Like I said, wanting to do it for the actual subjects themselves rather than for the sake of a particular vocation, so apprenticeships are out. BTEC was in Creative Media.
It shouldn't be too late, most colleges only started this week, so they may have some places left, ring around and ask them about the cost, because you may get it for free. You could look on here and see if any unis take a BTEC- http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/cours.../0/0/page.html
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
95% of universities accept BTECs

especially in media, you could go pretty much anywhere you want without wasting 2 years doing A levels, make sure you get your Maths GCSE though

There is a new course starting this year at Royal Holloway (where i go) that looks really good, its a BSc in Digital Media Communications and is roughly 75% Media and 25% Computer Science, it requires DDM in a BTEC Extended Diploma, looks like a pretty awesome course
Hashim123
Rep:
?
I wish people would learn to read OPs rather than skim and go on to waste time posting something entirely the opposite of what I'm after.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (23)
13.29%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.94%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
5.2%
I need help with my personal statement (72)
41.62%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (40)
23.12%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.73%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (14)
8.09%

Watched Threads