Turn on thread page Beta

Are dating apps/sites a waste of time? watch

(Original post by MAINE.)
    if you're a guy dating sites/apps can be a tiring and frustrating experience, but if you're a girl (of at least average attractiveness) dating apps/sites are a effective way to meet a number of potential quality partners. Go for it.
    I look decent enough that I get attention IRL but because I'm moving/working long hours might be hard to meet someone the usual way, was thinking of speed dating as well tho? is that any good? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks, I heard Tinder mostly had guys looking for sex; is OKCupid a decent site, though?

Might try speed dating as there are quite a few things in Bristol, still gonna get a decent amount of people who just want sex tho.

That last link :rofl:
    Generally-speaking, I find it as reliable as I'm willing to be truthful in my responses to its various 'compatibility' questionnaires.

ReputationRep:
    thanks, will most of the guys just want sex tho?
    Some do, but some want dates or to go out with you.

You can normally tell the difference from the guys who want a relationship and those that want to hook up. Just be clear about it.

ReputationRep:
    If you get attention I would stick to evenings out, hobbies and parties. So much easier when you can flirt naturally. My view is that dating sites are totally crap for guys, a little better for girls but still reduce dating to the same fun level as job hunting.

(Original post by Zarek)
    If you get attention I would stick to evenings out, hobbies and parties. So much easier when you can flirt naturally. My view is that dating sites are totally crap for guys, a little better for girls but still reduce dating to the same fun level as job hunting.
    thanks, whats your opinion on things like speed dating?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous;[url="tel:59151983")
    59151983[/url]]thanks, whats your opinion on things like speed dating?
    Never tried it. Has slightly more appeal but I would be nervous of the dreaded no matches.. Probably great for outgoing / pretty girls though

fhm dating is a good one

ReputationRep:
    I'm a girl, early 20s, never had a bf though I get attention. Settling down for my first job soon and moving to Bristol (new city) so nows the time :banana:

I was thinking of trying dating apps (any better suggestions than Tinder?), sites, etc. Suggestions? Is it a waste of time
    You're better off meeting somebody in real life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Speaking from experience....OkCupid...i met my current bf there and he was from wales and im three hours away near yorkshire! but we started dating and we did the whole long distance thing and we just fell completely for each other! hes now moved his whole life up here and hes only a 30 minute drive from me.

ReputationRep:

Are there any sites which aren't? (srs)

would i be better off posting worse looking photos on purpose but doing a good "about me" to weed out the guys who are just looking for sex?
    I met my other half on Match.com and he's treated me way better than any of the guys I went out with whom I met in person. I'm 21 btw.

ReputationRep:
    I recently decided to give up on internet dating after 3 years off and on( mostly off to be honest) and I can concur with most guys that internet dating is a horrible waste of time.

I'm reasonably attractive in real life and have seen some female interest in me, but am normally too shy and reserved to approach a woman in real life. So, I thought internet dating was the solution. Wrong. Maybe I have a bad camera of there is bad lighting in my house, but it seems I never managed to get as much attention as I hoped. Unfortunately I don't have bulging pecs or a 6 pack, (I'm just fairly slim) and I don't do adventurous things like abseiling, jet ski-ing or spear fishing so can't impress a woman with anything adventurous. So I just have a fairly non descript pic of me in my house. Some mild interest and response and I did actually get a woman messaging me saying I was very attractive. I maintained some messages with a few women for a little while, but like many guys, they ended up going silent on me, and that is very frustrating.

At one point I got so fed up with dating websites I actually made some "joke" profiles. I made one profile calling myself "Ihatewomen666", posted a pic of one of the ugliest guys I could find on the net and messaged an attractive woman calling her " a big poopy head" She responded positively. WTF?

And I know this sounds really crude but I have actually posted a few pics of my genitals on POF (as it's uncensored, pic wise). 80% of womens replies were the cliched "Eeeeek, take that pic down!" but some replies were actually positive. And I mean VERY positive.

So I remain puzzled. It doesn't seem to matter what you do, some women will like you, most won't. And those that do like you almost always wind up going silent.

And BTW the thing that I absolutely HATED the most about womens profiles were headlines like "Where's my Prince Charming?" or "Am looking for something AMAZING" That is an instant turnoff. Who the hell is going to want to act like Mr Perfect so satisfy the fairy tale fantasy of some moderately attractive woman? A guy is going to feel under instant pressure to impress, and that's a definite no no in any natural feeling relationships.

So overall, internet dating is as big a waste of time (for guys anyway) as winning the lottery. Yes, some people do win the lottery, but for every lottery winner, there are 20 million losers.

Guys, give up on interent dating, it's defintely NOT worth the time or effort. Go back to real life

ReputationRep:
    Online dating has its own merits and demerits but I don't think all of it is a waste of time. It has helped some singles, and put some in big trouble. Maybe this post can help elaborate on that : http://datepolishsingles.com/links/dating-sites

ReputationRep:
    I'm a girl, early 20s, never had a bf though I get attention. Settling down for my first job soon and moving to Bristol (new city) so nows the time :banana:

I was thinking of trying dating apps (any better suggestions than Tinder?), sites, etc. Suggestions? Is it a waste of time
    Nope, they are not wasting of time. Try some of the best hookup sites and You will see what I a talking about

For me as male (since on hookup sites and apps there is much more males than females) are OK, and I am finding regularly hookup partners, for you as a girl it would be definitely a lot of choices... So, try!

ReputationRep:
    YES

ReputationRep:
    Speaking from experience, absolutely. (Well, depends on what you want, but ultimately it's a waste of time imo). I deleted all my dating apps. I'm doing an end of year cleanse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninja_R)
    Speaking from experience, absolutely. (Well, depends on what you want, but ultimately it's a waste of time imo). I deleted all my dating apps. I'm doing an end of year cleanse.
    Well, maybe you just did something wrong A think (and according to my experiences) that dating apps and sites are definitely not wasting of time...

ReputationRep:
    Look at online dating like on real-life dating: more efforts you put in - better results will be. It is literally the same.

ReputationRep:
    I think they can be useful. I've had a lot of dates from dating apps. They probably work less well if you're a guy though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohaimark)
    I recently decided to give up on internet dating after 3 years off and on( mostly off to be honest) and I can concur with most guys that internet dating is a horrible waste of time.

I'm reasonably attractive in real life and have seen some female interest in me, but am normally too shy and reserved to approach a woman in real life. So, I thought internet dating was the solution. Wrong. Maybe I have a bad camera of there is bad lighting in my house, but it seems I never managed to get as much attention as I hoped. Unfortunately I don't have bulging pecs or a 6 pack, (I'm just fairly slim) and I don't do adventurous things like abseiling, jet ski-ing or spear fishing so can't impress a woman with anything adventurous. So I just have a fairly non descript pic of me in my house. Some mild interest and response and I did actually get a woman messaging me saying I was very attractive. I maintained some messages with a few women for a little while, but like many guys, they ended up going silent on me, and that is very frustrating.

At one point I got so fed up with dating websites I actually made some "joke" profiles. I made one profile calling myself "Ihatewomen666", posted a pic of one of the ugliest guys I could find on the net and messaged an attractive woman calling her " a big poopy head" She responded positively. WTF?

And I know this sounds really crude but I have actually posted a few pics of my genitals on POF (as it's uncensored, pic wise). 80% of womens replies were the cliched "Eeeeek, take that pic down!" but some replies were actually positive. And I mean VERY positive.

So I remain puzzled. It doesn't seem to matter what you do, some women will like you, most won't. And those that do like you almost always wind up going silent.

And BTW the thing that I absolutely HATED the most about womens profiles were headlines like "Where's my Prince Charming?" or "Am looking for something AMAZING" That is an instant turnoff. Who the hell is going to want to act like Mr Perfect so satisfy the fairy tale fantasy of some moderately attractive woman? A guy is going to feel under instant pressure to impress, and that's a definite no no in any natural feeling relationships.

So overall, internet dating is as big a waste of time (for guys anyway) as winning the lottery. Yes, some people do win the lottery, but for every lottery winner, there are 20 million losers.

Guys, give up on interent dating, it's defintely NOT worth the time or effort. Go back to real life
    I love this comment. So much agree "it's defintely NOT worth the time or effort".
    Unless someone is looking for fun or stuff of this kind.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.