Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    That paper was pretty hard! it was ok until question 14 n then there were questions about stuff i was convinced i hadn't learnt (OK i had learnt it but... stil v tricky)! What did you all think?????

Does anybody know how to prove that an odd number squared is always one greater than a multiple of 8. I got as far as saying that an odd number is:
    2n+1 (see previous part of question) and a multiple of 8 is 8n SO....
    (2n+1)(2n+1)=8n+1
    4n^2+4n+1=8n+1

can anybody progress from that?

O yeah and what are the prime factors of 253 (i found out afterwards it's 11 and 23)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danielf90)
    That paper was pretty hard! it was ok until question 14 n then there were questions about stuff i was convinced i hadn't learnt (OK i had learnt it but... stil v tricky)! What did you all think?????

Does anybody know how to prove that an odd number squared is always one greater than a multiple of 8. I got as far as saying that an odd number is:
    (2n+1)(2n+1)=8n+1
    4n^2+4n+1=8n+1

can anybody progress from that?

O yeah and what are the prime factors of 253 (i found out afterwards it's 11 and 23)
    I got this:

n^2 = 8(n-2) + 1 (which worked for 3, but not the rest?!)

And I got 11 and 23, but I couldn't see the relationship between part a with that question.

What did you get for the crates? And also passing the driving test? I put 0.6 x 0.6 x 0.4.

ReputationRep:
    The crates question: I htink your right but... i put 1 - the probability that all 3 passed, because it was worth quite a few marks n i wasn't sure whether 0.6^2 * 0.4 was right.

2 other things was stuck on was...
    The question which gave you an X^2 graph and sed this equation can be expressed in the form x^2 + bx+c, what are b and c?

i got -2 and -15, can u verify/prove me wrong? i was a bit miffed by that question...

In the 'completing the square' question, part b was put the answer in surd form: i got:

-2(sqrt)3-3 - yes? no? dont know?

thnx v much

thanx

ReputationRep:
    The crates question: I htink your right but... i put 1 - the probability that all 3 passed, because it was worth quite a few marks n i wasn't sure whether 0.6^2 * 0.4 was right.

2 other things was stuck on was...
    The question which gave you an X^2 graph and sed this equation can be expressed in the form x^2 + bx+c, what are b and c?

i got -2 and -15, can u verify/prove me wrong? i was a bit miffed by that question...

In the 'completing the square' question, part b was put the answer in surd form: i got:

-2(sqrt)3-3 - yes? no? dont know?

thnx v much

thanx
    I put -x and 0, I was just as miffed as you were! I had no idea.

And the surd one, was a guess for me. I put a few things is sqrt, but I didn't understand that one as with B.

The first question did you get 40 about the drum beats? Oh and the forumula for the circle I got PiAB and wasn't sure if this was correct?

Also, I managed to get 50 crates for that crate question. Another guy on here got 53, I divided 5350/105 ?

ReputationRep:
    40 drum beats - correct

pi AB - correct but i got piA^2b^2 (its wrong) on the logic that a circle has one radius and is r^2 and htis elipse has 2 so A^2 b^2 but i didnt reailse that r * r is hte same as a*b if a and B are equal.

53 crates- you're wrong to get the most amount of crates you take the HIGHEST cable thing (5350) and the LOWEST box weight (95) which is 56
    (my answer yay atleast i got sumthin right!)

ReputationRep:
    40 drum beats - correct

pi AB - correct but i got piA^2b^2 (its wrong) on the logic that a circle has one radius and is r^2 and htis elipse has 2 so A^2 b^2 but i didnt reailse that r * r is hte same as a*b if a and B are equal.

53 crates- you're wrong to get the most amount of crates you take the HIGHEST cable thing (5350) and the LOWEST box weight (95) which is 56
    (my answer yay atleast i got sumthin right!)
    Oh right, well I didn't read the question properly! The last page, can you remember what you put?

What other questions were they?

ReputationRep:
    All i remember from the last Q is that PQ is 3b and that when u draw them in P and Q both extend from the line b. I have a blank about the rest of the paper, im confident of about 80% hopefully i can push that up with my full marks coursework *brag* and an easier (hopefully) calculator paper..! do u remember ne more of the paper?

ReputationRep:
    For the odd number squared.

Notice that you can write any number as
    8k+a, for some value of a and k, and when this is an odd number, a will be odd. Now a is less than 8 because if it gets bigger than 8, you can increase k by one, so when the number is odd, a can only be 1, 3, 5 or 7.

So, take your odd number and square it
    (8k+a)^2 = 64k^2 + 16ak + a^2 = 8(8k^2+2ak) + a^2

So the first bit is a muliple of 8, now you need to show that a^2 is 1 more than a multiple of 8 for the numbers a = 1,3,5,7, which is easily done.

Not a very nice GCSE question really :confused:

ReputationRep:
    All i remember from the last Q is that PQ is 3b and that when u draw them in P and Q both extend from the line b. I have a blank about the rest of the paper, im confident of about 80% hopefully i can push that up with my full marks coursework *brag* and an easier (hopefully) calculator paper..! do u remember ne more of the paper?
    80% wow!

The drum question,
    The then indicies questions,
    Then the graph question which I got 15 and -1.
    Then some standard form questions,
    The some triangle question for which I got sqrt of 125, 37.5 and then got 32.14:rolleyes: from using cos.
    Some sort of graph with interquartile range which I put 2km.
    Then there were three graphs and I think I put B for the last one.
    Can't remember the next ones, possibly angles.
    For the three mark question I put 32 degrees. For the one mark question I doubled 56.
    Then there were some algebra.
    Then there was a s-something survey for which I put "They must take a fair sample from the population, with even ratios :confused: " and "Not test the whole population". I didn't know. I then divided all of the age groups by 8. Which I thought was easy marks.
    Some more boring questions that I can't remember.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else got anything to add?

ReputationRep:

(2n+1)(2n+1)=8n+1
    4n^2+4n+1=8n+1
    Ok this is how I did it (the method is probably too simple to be honest but oh well)
    (2n+1)(2n+1)
    =4n^2+4n+1
    =4n(n+1)+1

because n(n+1) has to be an even number (was one of the previous questions
    then 4n(n+1) must be a multiple of 8

therefore 4n(n+1)+1 must be one more than a multiple of eight.
    no point overcomplicating the problem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pearly)
    Ok this is how I did it (the method is probably too simple to be honest but oh well)
    (2n+1)(2n+1)
    =4n^2+4n+1
    =4n(n+1)+1

because n(n+1) has to be an even number (was one of the previous questions
    then 4n(n+1) must be a multiple of 8

therefore 4n(n+1)+1 must be one more than a multiple of eight.
    Thats a much better method, well done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesF)
    Thats a much better method, well done.
    Thanks
    I hope you're not been sarcastic

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    I hope you're not been sarcastic
    What other answers did you get, I'm worried!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    What other answers did you get, I'm worried!
    I can't remember at all, i just remember that question ( the one above), and the stupid statistic question (about stratisfication or summat like that) which i had to guess cos i didn't know what stratis... was.
    I hated all the statistics question (the probability question at the end was quite tricky).
    Don't you think the exam lasted soooooo long, a whole two hours!! My watch was wrong so I finished 1hr earlier, spent the rest of the time playing tic-tac-toe against myself( I probably should have checked my answers)

ReputationRep:
    I didn't find it as hard as some of the papers we've done in class but there were still some strange Qs, like the "hence or otherwise write 0.158 (58 recuring) as a fraction" anyone?

I also got 50 for the crate question on the basis that you are looking for the number that it will "safely" lift i.e assume that the maximum load is lower and the weight of the crates higher. don't kno though could be wrong!

ReputationRep:
    I can't remember at all, i just remember that question ( the one above), and the stupid statistic question (about stratisfication or summat like that) which i had to guess cos i didn't know what stratis... was.
    I hated all the statistics question (the probability question at the end was quite tricky).
    Don't you think the exam lasted soooooo long, a whole two hours!! My watch was wrong so I finished 1hr earlier, spent the rest of the time playing tic-tac-toe against myself( I probably should have checked my answers)
    The probability one? I though that was easy (which probably means I've done it wrong seeing as it was near the end of the paper). All I did was 0.6 x 0.6 x 0.4.

Wow, you finished really early! I took about 1 hour 50 mins, but at a good speed.

Oooh also guys, remember the question where there was 1/4 of a circle and you had to find the perimeter? I did Pi x 18 /4 + 18 . I hope I said divide by 4 anyway, eek...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skyblue Pink)
    I didn't find it as hard as some of the papers we've done in class but there were still some strange Qs, like the "hence or otherwise write 0.158 (58 recuring) as a fraction" anyone?

I also got 50 for the crate question on the basis that you are looking for the number that it will "safely" lift i.e assume that the maximum load is lower and the weight of the crates higher. don't kno though could be wrong!
    Oh that one, I'd never been taught that before (or any of the paper), but it was the first digits /99.

Yeah, well maybe we did get it right then! hehe! Hope so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skyblue Pink)

i got 56 crates ( 5350 / 95)
    i messed up the fraction oneL wrote a load of bull cos i ddnt know what correct answer was.
    the correct answer is something like:

X=0.58 recurring
    100X = 58.58585858...
    99X = 58
    so X = 58/99

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Undry1)
    the correct answer is something like:

X=0.58 recurring
    100X = 58.58585858...
    99X = 58
    so X = 58/99
    ooh i got that one right! just couldn't get the second part. I have a horrible feeling I misread the scale on the graph question about the median and iq range though - oh dear .

For the probability one i got (0.6 x 0.6 x 0.4) x 3 I think, and the product of prime factors I got by complete random guessing, i just sat for 15 minutes and tried every prime number starting from 2 until I got the right answer. They didn't ask you to prove how you did it though so I should still get the marks hopefully

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.