The Student Room Group

Urgent help needed

So today was the induction day for college and we were in from 9 - 4 and surprisingly only had one taster lesson before we get our full timetables for next week. Now i signed up to do Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology HOWEVER i only did additional science so i am 2 topics behind most of the people in my chemistry class who are EXTREMELY smart i had no idea what any of the answers were and that wasn't even a full lesson.

I am now seriously regretting chemistry and i feel bio, chem and maths will be too much for me to handle at once :/

I want to do a psychology degree at UNI and was wondering if you guys have any advice, i am 75% sure about going in tomorrow and changing chemistry to sociology.. should i or not?

(P.S i did look on around 10 UNI websites and the avg for psychology is AAB at a levels with atleast one/two science subjects) so i am thinking i could still do it with just bio, psych and socio and A2?
I did Psychology, Maths, Chemistry and Biology at AS Level.

I did triple science at GCSE and got an A* in Chemistry and I got a B at AS Level which I'm extremely disappointed in so I'm re taking a module. Chemistry and Maths are the biggest leaps from GCSE. I wouldn't say I was at an advantage having done triple science, after starting teaching you will get up to speed with the other students soon enough. It is very important that you understand the work load required for subjects like Chemistry and Maths (The hardest A Levels by popular opinion) they take up a lot of time and if your not dedicated enough then you can't expect good grades. I would say that these A Levels are also the most impressive to Universities (You want to be doing every thing you can to impress Unversities as it is unbelieveby competetive!) and you want to be doing everything you can to secure that place. Chemistry is also a good opinion if you decide to change your University course as it opens up ALOT more doors than sociology would. Sociology is considered and is a much easier course. This could be beneficial to taking the pressure off you and making it easier to get a higher grade but you don't want to regret not doing Chemistry.

Sociology does not give you any skills that you wouldn't learn in Psychology (According to my friend who did both) I don't feel it would add much to your application for a Psychology Degree Course. ( You could also consider English as its more regarded for a Psychology course but I'm not too sure?? )

If it says on entry requirements "one/two sciences" it suggests a lot of applicants will have two sciences but it may be worth more research. Remember you are competing with these applicants you want to level yourself with them.

In my opinion I would stick with Chemistry and if you start to struggle there are so many options you can take, extra tuition, help from teachers/peers, study support, you just need to TAKE THEM! Revise hard and you'll do well theres no secret, you can do any subject you put your mind to you've just got to be prepared to put the work in.

If your really stuck ask if you can speak to a careers advisor or student support at your college and they can sometimes get in contact with University admissions anonymously and ask there honest opinion and there selection process like they did for me at the college.

Good Luck!
Reply 2
If you don't need the subject for your course, and you feel that you may struggle with it then don't choose it.
Reply 3
Thank you for both of the above, i just don't want to spend hours revising chemistry to TRY and understand it to only get a C/B where as i could put that effort into biology and get an A :/
Original post by Rigby16
Thank you for both of the above, i just don't want to spend hours revising chemistry to TRY and understand it to only get a C/B where as i could put that effort into biology and get an A :/

I think thats a sensible choice as you don't NEED Chemistry. Put the effort into Maths as thats hard as well, without having the addition stress of Chemistry!

I'm sure you'll do well!

Quick Reply

Latest