The Student Room Group

confused

i'm currently doing level 3 btec in applied science i just started this year i was wondering if i can get into uni for optometry with this btec if i get Distinction star overall or i have an option to do A levels at another college so i can do Chem Bio and Maths. i'm not sure whether to take the A levels i wanted to know if btec can still get me into uni because if it does i'd rather take the easy route than doing hardcore A levels
Before we get into this, there is no "easy route" into uni, and if you're not willing to work hard now, god knows how hard you'll be willing to work in uni when you've got debt gradually weighing itself upon you.

It seems as if universities do indeed accept BTECs, though there is usually a preference for A levels (since most candidates do indeed take A levels)

e.g. "240 points from at least two GCE/VCE A levels or equivalent BTEC National qualifications. General studies, AS levels and Key Skills may count towards these points."

but you will need to check the specific course entry requirments with the universities you have in mind to know what you need to achieve. If it's still unclear, then feel free to email the admissions tutors who will explain it to you. :smile:

If it is more difficult for you to enter straight into optometry, there are foundation years available which are sort of a pathway into the programme, and the last time I checked I think they happily accept BTECs also.
Reply 2
Original post by thecatwithnohat
Before we get into this, there is no "easy route" into uni, and if you're not willing to work hard now, god knows how hard you'll be willing to work in uni when you've got debt gradually weighing itself upon you.

It seems as if universities do indeed accept BTECs, though there is usually a preference for A levels (since most candidates do indeed take A levels)

e.g. "240 points from at least two GCE/VCE A levels or equivalent BTEC National qualifications. General studies, AS levels and Key Skills may count towards these points."

but you will need to check the specific course entry requirments with the universities you have in mind to know what you need to achieve. If it's still unclear, then feel free to email the admissions tutors who will explain it to you. :smile:

If it is more difficult for you to enter straight into optometry, there are foundation years available which are sort of a pathway into the programme, and the last time I checked I think they happily accept BTECs also.

Thankyou!!

Quick Reply

Latest