The Student Room Group

Medicine at Oxbridge - which one is more realistic with these grades?

For medicine with my grades, which one do I have a better chance of getting into?
Also which uni places more weighting on BMAT?
I got 93.3% SUMS average and I got 6As at AS level ... likely to get 4A* prediction.
I go to a well know grammar school for AS
I went to a non-selective comprehensive for GCSE and got 9A* and 2As
Choosen for 2 Oxford Summer schools...
(regardless of what the feedback is I have a preference anyway but I'm just interested... wanted an honest, unbiased opinion.)
go for cambridge! wow you make my mere 4 A* at gcse look awful (I am studying english at trinity)
Haha, is there a particular reason you said Cambridge?
And I'm pretty sure 4A* is great btw
Also... if you don't mind me asking, what UMS average did you get?
They'll like the fact you got 9A* at a comprehensive school. Even though Medicine is fiercely competitive, you still have a great chance with those grades. Even A*A*AA you might get in
Reply 4
Wow, you'd be a strong applicant to both. I belive you have a high enough ums average for cambridge and high enough gcse's for oxford, so I would say go where you prefer, and where your heart tells you to go. Show enough passion for your subject and you'll be fine at either. :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Heya, I got 10 A*s and 1 A at GCSE, 4 As at AS with an average of 83 in chem bio and maths. Although it's not amazing UMS, it's considerably higher than the school average. Will be predicted either A*A*A or three A*s. I didn't do massively well on my UKCAT - I know you need the BMAT for Oxbridge but not sure whether there's a correlation between UKCAT and BMAT? Would you say it's worth me applying to Oxbridge, and if so, which one?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by chloewilliamsss
Heya, I got 10 A*s and 1 A at GCSE, 4 As at AS with an average of 83 in chem bio and maths. Although it's not amazing UMS, it's considerably higher than the school average. Will be predicted either A*A*A or three A*s. I didn't do massively well on my UKCAT - I know you need the BMAT for Oxbridge but not sure whether there's a correlation between UKCAT and BMAT? Would you say it's worth me applying to Oxbridge, and if so, which one?

Oxford. Cambridge is quite clear that SUMS averages less than 85 percent are not competitive. For Oxford however, you've got a good shot provided you do well on the BMAT.
Original post by Hydeman
Oxford. Cambridge is quite clear that SUMS averages less than 85 percent are not competitive. For Oxford however, you've got a good shot provided you do well on the BMAT.

Do you know what kind of scores are needed for Oxford on the BMAT?
Do you know what kind of scores are needed for Oxford on the BMAT?

It varies each year based on how well a given set of applicants do on the BMAT that year. There're some statistics for the 2013/14 application cycle here, I believe: www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics.
Original post by littlemissdebbie

Also which uni places more weighting on BMAT?

Oxford gets higher average scores.

You could make a reasonable application to both. Your chances would be a bit higher for Cambridge, mainly because it has a much lower application to offer ratio.
Heya, I got 10 A*s and 1 A at GCSE, 4 As at AS with an average of 83. Although it's not amazing UMS, it's considerably higher than the school average. Will be predicted either A*A*A or three A*s. I didn't do massively well on my UKCAT - I know you need the BMAT for Oxbridge but not sure whether there's a correlation between UKCAT and BMAT? Would you say it's worth me applying to Oxbridge, and if so, which one?

Oxford definitely..
Medicine is so competitive and your GCSEs are very good... Oxford puts more weighting on GCSEs whereas cambridge puts emphasis on UMS and if your SUMS is below 85 its a bit unlikely they'll interview you, I've heard.
That's true but 93.3 is still a bit worrying since my school is always talking about 95%+ etc etc
Oxford definitely..
Medicine is so competitive and your GCSEs are very good... Oxford puts more weighting on GCSEs whereas cambridge puts emphasis on UMS and if your SUMS is below 85 its a bit unlikely they'll interview you, I've heard.

Okay thanks for the advice!
That's true but 93.3 is still a bit worrying since my school is always talking about 95%+ etc etc

Unfortunately they changed what data they make public recently but based on my recollection of last year's data, UMS of 93 would get you a 1 in 3 to 1 in 4 chance or so. Which for medicine is great (most places you're looking at 1 in 10).

You're right, majority of successful applicants for medicine at Cambridge has UMS higher than 95. But that's not to say you don't have a chance with your UMS.
Some statistic data FYI here.
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/sites/www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/ums_attainment_at_as-level_of_applicants_by_subject_and_offer_status.pdf

You can find other useful info on Cambridge application in this post.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3554013&p=58964173#post58964173
So the general consensus is that Cambridge seems like a more likely choice?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending