username2150441
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I've only returned to school yesterday and I am so stressed. I have deleted all my social media accounts so that I can dedicate every minute of my spare time to revision. I genuinely care a lot about my future but I am struggling to cope with things. I'm doing triple science and psychology this year, and as you might be aware of the GCSEs are changing. As in, the exams that I sit will be harder in comparison to previous examinations. I'm doing Edexcel maths and my teacher was saying that our exam specification includes A-level topics and it's all so overwhelming. Likewise with English, we are going to be given a number instead of a grade and I am actually terrified. I'm aiming for the top grades (I'm targeted A and A* in every subject) but i inadvertently always doubt myself and think what if I'm not able to succeed. It's like this fear that I have and I can barely revise anymore because I have unnecessarily stressed myself out to such extent please help!
Augvstus
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The other changes in exams are (I think) that you won't be given formulae in maths and science, or be allowed to use the original material (ie, a book) in English writing exams. I'm doing my GCSE's this year, I've just missed out on these changes. But trust me, although some revision should be done, I got through year 10 with no revision whatsoever, and ended up with all As and A*s. It's not as stressful as you think.
A good book to read to help with revision and such is called something like "How to ace your GCSE's". It's really useful and is helping me revise before I go back to school.
cmfunk
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Honestly I started revising halfway through year 11 and managed to get 8 A*'s; you don't need to stress so much for GCSE's.
But if you really want to make sure you get the highest score possible, doing light revision from year 10 is sufficient!
drriversong
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Honey, I was exactly in the same position as you two years ago. Tip number one-BREATHE! Yes exams are going to get harder but the same number of people will be getting Cs (say 50%) and the same number of people will be getting A* (10%). If the exams are hard this will be reflected in the grade boundaries. In year ten you only really need to focus on coursework and ensuring that you understand everything that is taught in class and year 11 is the year when you need to start revising. I used to be like you but I chilled out and started revising in the Easter of year 11 and achieved all As and A*s. The key is learning how to chill.
kemi28
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The first thing you need to do is do something that will help relieve your stress, read, run around, listen to music, whatever it is, do it.

You said that you're aiming for As and A*s so you need to believe in yourself that you'll get it and work hard. If you continue to stress yourself out, you waste time and you won't get the job done. Make sure you put the effort in right from the start and be consistent and don't leave things to the last minute. Use your end goal to motivate you and push you to do the best you can.

Good luck
username1915455
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you do that much revision you will probably get burnout and stress, it is not realistic or healthy to do that much. In Year 10 you just need to focus on getting good grades in your coursework, and revise for mocks.

For maths, don't be too worried. Saying "A level topics" means not all the topics will be included. I don't know the specification but I don't think many of the topics will be the worst in A level, any many of them are not that bad, some, at least to me, are easier than some of my GCSE topics. Triple science is a really good thing to be doing, and psychology is very interesting. If you are targeted A/A* then your teachers clearly believe in you. Hopefully as you begin to get good grades in mock and coursework you will feel more confident. Also, exams have been getting harder for a few years now, at least you will get some of your grades in numbers to show that they are harder, instead of someone in the year above who gets harder exams compared to 3-5 years ago but no recognition of this.

Hope this helps
SH0405
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by drriversong)
Honey, I was exactly in the same position as you two years ago. Tip number one-BREATHE! Yes exams are going to get harder but the same number of people will be getting Cs (say 50%) and the same number of people will be getting A* (10%). If the exams are hard this will be reflected in the grade boundaries. In year ten you only really need to focus on coursework and ensuring that you understand everything that is taught in class and year 11 is the year when you need to start revising. I used to be like you but I chilled out and started revising in the Easter of year 11 and achieved all As and A*s. The key is learning how to chill.
What have you chosen for A-Levels?
SH0405
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by cmfunk)
Honestly I started revising halfway through year 11
That's early; I left it until about 5 weeks before.
drriversong
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SH0405)
What have you chosen for A-Levels?
Politics, English Lit, history and psychology. I would love to be able to read English at Cambridge. You?
cmfunk
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SH0405)
That's early; I left it until about 5 weeks before.
Haha, I remember picking up my Physics textbook for the first time the night before the exam. Those were the good old days.
Wanderlust20
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Don't worry about it - honestly, at least for year 10, you'll be fine. You just need to put in the work when it counts (like for controlled assessments and end of year mocks). I didn't work as hard as I should have (I certainly had my lazy days) but I worked hard for my mocks and got 7A*s and 3As in them!

There is going to be more pressure on you than year 9, but honestly don't stress about it because you'll have a lot of stressing to do in year 11 so you may as well not stress yourself out in year 10. I cannot stress enough that organisation is SO important (I'm the most disorganised person there is - I should know) and it helps you become less stressed if you are organised

If you really want to dedicate a lot of your time to GCSEs, I would suggest that you do something like an hour of extra work other than homework after every school day, or several school days (e.g. every monday, wednesday and thursday). One hour may not seem like a lot for revision etc but once you get into the habit, you'll find that revising for end of year/term exams will become easier and you will inevitably become less stressed because you have everything under control. On weekends you can do a few hours of homework and revision. You could always give yourself a head start on topics you think you'll struggle with in school by going over them briefly at home. But remember - give yourself a break! You don't want to wear yourself out completely even before year 11

About the social media thing, I agree - I barely spend time on social media either, I still have my accounts but I rarely go on them, if ever. The thing is... I'm kind of addicted to BBC iPlayer so I deleted that haha!

What I do is I work every day after school and I also work on weekends, but I do absolutely zilch on friday after school (friday is my rest day - I just laze about watching tv or reading a book), and this way, even though I get stressed, I have something to look forward to after working hard throughout the week.

I think year 10 is a bit too early to be thinking super seriously about GCSEs, maybe towards the end of year 10 at the very earliest, but seriously don't worry. I know it's hard not too, I'm aiming for the top grades too, but at the end of the day, you have almost 2 years until you sit your GCSEs - plenty of time!

Good luck with year 10 and your GCSEs
SH0405
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by drriversong)
Politics, English Lit, history and psychology. I would love to be able to read English at Cambridge. You?
Ah, Cambridge; good luck I'm off to Warwick to read Discrete Mathematics in October after having done Maths, Further Maths and Physics. You should definitely put Warwick down as one of your choices!
JT_888
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by thepewds_)
I've only returned to school yesterday and I am so stressed. I have deleted all my social media accounts so that I can dedicate every minute of my spare time to revision. I genuinely care a lot about my future but I am struggling to cope with things. I'm doing triple science and psychology this year, and as you might be aware of the GCSEs are changing. As in, the exams that I sit will be harder in comparison to previous examinations. I'm doing Edexcel maths and my teacher was saying that our exam specification includes A-level topics and it's all so overwhelming. Likewise with English, we are going to be given a number instead of a grade and I am actually terrified. I'm aiming for the top grades (I'm targeted A and A* in every subject) but i inadvertently always doubt myself and think what if I'm not able to succeed. It's like this fear that I have and I can barely revise anymore because I have unnecessarily stressed myself out to such extent please help!
Hi, I'm also just started Year 10. Don't stress too much about it, you'll be fine. You didn't need to go through the hassle of deleting your social media, I think you just need to manage your time well. I do understand that you care a lot about your future. The GCSEs are only changing for English Language + Literature where candidates will no longer have to do a foundation/higher paper as it's no longer tiered like Mathematics. I'm not aware that there's A level topics in the new GCSE Maths with Edexcel and I assume your teacher said that to scare you. Yes, the changes are overwhelming but I stress that if you put in 100% effort, you will do well.

Join the current Year 10 thread here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3508493
maria_andron
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey, don't stress. Just practice from now and ask your teachers for past papers or like module questions.You seem like a very bright person so don't worry😊. You will do well.
username2150441
Rep:
?
(Original post by maria_andron)
Hey, don't stress. Just practice from now and ask your teachers for past papers or like module questions.You seem like a very bright person so don't worry😊. You will do well.
Thank you so much hun 💞
username2150441
Rep:
?
(Original post by JTran38)
Hi, I'm also just started Year 10. Don't stress too much about it, you'll be fine. You didn't need to go through the hassle of deleting your social media, I think you just need to manage your time well. I do understand that you care a lot about your future. The GCSEs are only changing for English Language + Literature where candidates will no longer have to do a foundation/higher paper as it's no longer tiered like Mathematics. I'm not aware that there's A level topics in the new GCSE Maths with Edexcel and I assume your teacher said that to scare you. Yes, the changes are overwhelming but I stress that if you put in 100% effort, you will do well.

Join the current Year 10 thread here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3508493
Thank you 💕
maria_andron
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thank you so much hun 💞
No problem😊 if you need any advice on any school related stuff then don't hesitate to inbox me 😊 x
wobuaini
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They try to scare you as much as they can to get people to revise. Honestly I don't know if you have controlled assessments, just do well in those and then start revising a few months before the exams (if you're relatively clever), this is what my whole school year did and we got 99% a* to d or some other **** statistic. Unless you want to go to some place like Oxbridge, just get b's or above since people generally won't ask you your gcse grade when you're at a job interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
NellWatson
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Remember to stay calm, getting worked up won't help you in any way! If your teachers predict you good grades, that's because they honestly believe you'll get them. If the exams are hard, then everyone will find them hard, the grade boundaries are set based on how well everyone did in the exam, so if it was a tough exam then the grade boundaries will be low, so don't worry about that! Just concentrate in class and make good notes and you'll be fine! It's also important that in any essay subjects you learn the essay techniques!
Good luck!
Student1197
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Honestly don't stress about your GCSEs! I A my currently doing my A2's and it's a lot harder! No one even takes your GCSEs into consideration except when making target grades... I didn't do any revision at all for my GCSEs and the lowest grade I got was a B!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (34)
28.81%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (11)
9.32%
No I am happy with my choice (65)
55.08%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (8)
6.78%

Watched Threads