Turn on thread page Beta

can brain cancer be inherited? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    ive just found out my grandad has it and im worried i'll get it when im older. ive never even met him so don't know wot he looks like or anythin.

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by brain cancer their is different types? I assume you mean a tuma. And yes I believe if it can run in the family but it dosn't mean you will get it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    What do you mean by brain cancer their is different types? I assume you mean a tuma. And yes I believe if it can run in the family but it dosn't mean you will get it.
    to be honest i dunno, my aunty rang my dad and i kinda listened in on the conversation and i just heard he has brain cancer and theres nothin that can be done :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by horrorboy)
    to be honest i dunno, my aunty rang my dad and i kinda listened in on the conversation and i just heard he has brain cancer and theres nothin that can be done :confused:
    has your dad got it?

ReputationRep:
    To be honest if it was me I would be more worried about my grandad, weather I would get it or not would be the last thing I would be worried about. I think brain tumours are cuased by abnormal cell growth and its kind of like a lump. I am not sure if their is any other kind of brain cancer.

The important thing is that your gradand is made as comfortable as possible.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest if it was me I would be more worried about my grandad, weather I would get it or not would be the last thing I would be worried about. I think brain tumours are cuased by abnormal cell growth and its kind of like a lump. I am not sure if their is any other kind of brain cancer.

The important thing is that your gradand is made as comfortable as possible.
    thats wot i thought, why am i being so selfish? ive neva met him so i can't really be sympathetic if u know wot i mean. im just a massive hypocondriac (if thats how its spelt) so im worried

no my dad hasn't got it

ReputationRep:
    i haven't studied pathology yet, but..

as far as i'm aware cancer is an aquired somatic mutation..so not directly passed down through the germline.. however, there may be genes that confer susceptibility to a type of cancer, notably breast cancer than can be present in families and then intereact with other factors to result in cancer (but even if there is a gene, you wouldn't necessarily have it, it might not be dominant, it might be harmless with the rest of your genome/lifestyle etc).

Fluffy might be the person to ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    i haven't studied pathology yet, but..

as far as i'm aware cancer is an aquired somatic mutation..so not directly passed down through the germline.. however, there may be genes that confer susceptibility to a type of cancer, notably breast cancer than can be present in families and then intereact with other factors to result in cancer (but even if there is a gene, you wouldn't necessarily have it, it might not be dominant, it might be harmless with the rest of your genome/lifestyle etc).

Fluffy might be the person to ask.
    k thanx for ure info

ReputationRep:
    ive just found out my grandad has it and im worried i'll get it when im older. ive never even met him so don't know wot he looks like or anythin.
    Cancer runs through my family like it was a race track!

i'm doomed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olly)

i'm doomed
    i think that all depends on the type of cancer and wot relations have it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olly)

i'm doomed
    We all are 1/3 people get cancer in their life time and nearly all males have some kind of cancer by the time they die even if its at the very very early stages.

ReputationRep:
    We all are 1/3 people get cancer in their life time and nearly all males have some kind of cancer by the time they die even if its at the very very early stages.

ive just found out why females generally, on average live 5 years longer than males.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz)
    i think that all depends on the type of cancer and wot relations have it
    Breast cancer, practically all my female relations on my mums side have had it, and my grandfather died of throat and lung cancer,
    and my grandmother on my dads side died before i was born, i am not sure what of!
    and almost all the females on my mums side are anaemic

i don't know why i bother!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olly)
    Breast cancer, practically all my female relations on my mums side have had it, and my grandfather died of throat and lung cancer,
    and my grandmother on my dads side died before i was born, i am not sure what of!
    and almost all the females on my mums side are anaemic

i don't know why i bother!
    sounds kinda like my friends family. all her dads side have had cancer apart frm her grandad, her mums side appears to consist of diabetes :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Like AT said it depends on what type he has, but yes it is possible that it could be heriditary. Don't get all freaked out though, just because it is heriditary it doesn't mean you will get it, the chances are quite slim, you stand as much a risk of getting skin cancer from the sun. Look I know you feel, trust me, my dad died from a brain tumor 3 yrs ago, his mother died from a tumor 5 yrs prior to that. It definately freaks you out big time, but I have discussed these things w/ my doctor and she has assured me that both of them dying of the same thing is extremely rare and that the chances of me developing a tumor aswell are slim to none. Talk to your parents, and talk to your doctor to get some reassurance, in the meantime, you should try and make arrangements to meet your grandfather if possible. (I don't know what your situation is) But this will probably be your last chance to meet him. You have my sympathy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinity)
    Like AT said it depends on what type he has, but yes it is possible that it could be heriditary. Don't get all freaked out though, just because it is heriditary it doesn't mean you will get it, the chances are quite slim, you stand as much a risk of getting skin cancer from the sun. Look I know you feel, trust me, my dad died from a brain tumor 3 yrs ago, his mother died from a tumor 5 yrs prior to that. It definately freaks you out big time, but I have discussed these things w/ my doctor and she has assured me that both of them dying of the same thing is extremely rare and that the chances of me developing a tumor aswell are slim to none. Talk to your parents, and talk to your doctor to get some reassurance, in the meantime, you should try and make arrangements to meet your grandfather if possible. (I don't know what your situation is) But this will probably be your last chance to meet him. You have my sympathy.
    thanks for that, although ive neva even met my grandad before coz i don't think my dad has ever got along wiv him. sorry to hear about your relatives it must've been v hard for you. hope ure getting on ok though it just takes time.
    ive no idea wot type he has i just overheard a conversation which i perhaps wasn't meant to know about. my dads not even told me about it yet :confused:

ReputationRep:
    my granny had that... i wouldnt worry too much. i have had my brain scanned many times now and i dont have one! and if i get one when i am old... hey, i'd be dying soon anyway. braincancer better than lung cancer in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fifi53)
    my granny had that... i wouldnt worry too much. i have had my brain scanned many times now and i dont have one! and if i get one when i am old... hey, i'd be dying soon anyway. braincancer better than lung cancer in my opinion.
    why have u had ure brain scanned :confused:

ReputationRep:
    No reason the risk factors can't be inheritable.

Not something worth worrying about though imo. May be entirely due to chance. And besides, it's not when/how we die, it's how we live. Have fun.

ReputationRep:
    You may have a genetic predisposition, but that would probably be about it? Remember, environmental factors and lifesyle/social status/etc etc account for the other 97% as to if you'll get it or not, so eat right! And exercise. x

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.