The Student Room Group

Personal Statement Advice greatly needed for a Mature Student - Please Help

(edited 8 years ago)
This forum is more for specific PS questions, so I'll move this to the medicine forum :smile:
Original post by Sam00
I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could help me with regards to my personal statement as I now realise this is much harder than I originally thought it would be.

I am applying for medicine and have read various sample personal statements online and in books, but all of them are from either top achieving school leavers with an amazing amount of shadowing experience in hospitals and voluntary experiences abroad in jungles/tribes/hospitals, or graduate applicants with 1st's in Fine Art etc. I feel really hopeless after reading so many impressive personal statements, and when I put my experiences into words it just doesn't compare, I now feel I need to call all the local hospitals and request shadowing opportunities and then book a flight to the middle of the Indonesian rain forest to support the health and well-being of the lost tribes, I am sorry to sound cynical and negative but I really now am wondering if there is any point trying to compete with these spectacular individuals

Personal statement is only a part of the application process. The examples of good statements you read in books are there for that reason: they're good. If you're working from an example, it may as well be a good one instead of a mediocre one.

If you have shadowing experience, volunteering, understanding of a medical career and can express this in your PS and meet the basic academic requirements you have a chance. It's not about quantity of work experience. You don't need to go on a fancy trip to an exotic country to get work experience.

You say you're a mature applicant, so you probably have a decent amount of life experience that someone at 18 wouldn't have.
There is generally always going to be someone 'better' than you in life, so don't worry about not being the 'perfect' applicant.
If you want to apply, do so. In your PS you need your motivation for medicine, what you've gained from work exp/ volunteering etc. It'll probably take you a while to feel comfortable with it, but the only way to get in to medical school is to try!

Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sam00
I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could help me with regards to my personal statement as I now realise this is much harder than I originally thought it would be.

I am applying for medicine and have read various sample personal statements online and in books, but all of them are from either top achieving school leavers with an amazing amount of shadowing experience in hospitals and voluntary experiences abroad in jungles/tribes/hospitals, or graduate applicants with 1st's in Fine Art etc. I feel really hopeless after reading so many impressive personal statements, and when I put my experiences into words it just doesn't compare, I now feel I need to call all the local hospitals and request shadowing opportunities and then book a flight to the middle of the Indonesian rain forest to support the health and well-being of the lost tribes, I am sorry to sound cynical and negative but I really now am wondering if there is any point trying to compete with these spectacular individuals

Hi Sam

Don't be put off! If it's what you want to do the you can make sure you tick the boxes and go for it.

Here are some free information pages written by doctors that should help:

1. Grad Entry Medicine - https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/graduate-entry-medicine/

2. Personal Statements - https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/personal-statement/

3. Work Experience - https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/work-experience/

Good luck!

The Medic Portal

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending