toonervoustotalk
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
For the additional unit of A2 maths i have to decide to do M2 or S1
I got an A in M1 and i last did statistics 4 years ago in year 10 and got an A in it as well GCSE
I was wondering which one would be easier for me to do
I am aiming to get an A in the unit
I am with the AQA exam board
Any responses are appreciated
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by toonervoustotalk)
I got an A in M1 and i last did statistics 4 years ago in year 10 and got an A in it as well GCSE
At least for Edexcel (I wouldn't imagine it'd be too different for AQA), M2 felt like "more of the same" of M1 - similar level of difficulty, just new content. I also didn't think S1 is too challenging either, it's an AS unit after all. It's up to you, I'd say you've got a good shot at a good grade in either. Which one do you think would be more useful for your future plans?
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
What other A levels are you doing and what are your plans post school?
toonervoustotalk
Rep:
(Original post by Plagioclase)
At least for Edexcel (I wouldn't imagine it'd be too different for AQA), M2 felt like "more of the same" of M1 - similar level of difficulty, just new content. I also didn't think S1 is too challenging either, it's an AS unit after all. It's up to you, I'd say you've got a good shot at a good grade in either. Which one do you think would be more useful for your future plans?
I think it would be better if i do M2 because i have done M1 recently and am more refreshed with the concepts than in S1
toonervoustotalk
Rep:
(Original post by Muttley79)
What other A levels are you doing and what are your plans post school?
Chemistry and biology
And i want to do either chemistry at uni or accounting
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Chemistry and biology
Personally I prefer teaching mechanics but S1 is an AS unit ... have a look at the specifications and see which interests you most.
toonervoustotalk
Rep:
Personally I prefer teaching mechanics but S1 is an AS unit ... have a look at the specifications and see which interests you most.
Ok will have a look
Andy98
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Chemistry and biology
S1 would probably help more if you go down the accounting path, but I prefer mechanics cause I like physics. Not that I get a choice in the units I do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Thers's not much in S1 that would help with accounting ...
toonervoustotalk
Rep:
(Original post by Andy98)
S1 would probably help more if you go down the accounting path, but I prefer mechanics cause I like physics. Not that I get a choice in the units I do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That is what i was thinking
toonervoustotalk
Rep:
Thers's not much in S1 that would help with accounting ...
Ok fair enough
雷尼克
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
M2, S1 is very hit and miss on exams - there will always be stuff coming up which has never appeared before, whereas on M2 if you've done every past paper confidently you can get 90% easily.
toonervoustotalk
Rep:
(Original post by 雷尼克)
M2, S1 is very hit and miss on exams - there will always be stuff coming up which has never appeared before, whereas on M2 if you've done every past paper confidently you can get 90% easily.
Ok so M2 seems more likely for me
Flame Alchemist
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
The jump from M1 to M2 will be a lot less significant than the jump from year 10 stats to S1, so I think you'd be a lot more comfortable doing M2.

Also, like has been said already, the S exams tend to be more uncertain and variable than the M exams.
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by 雷尼克)
That's just not true ... there have been so many past papers since 2001 that there is never anything totally out of the blue.
雷尼克
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
That's just not true ... there have been so many past papers since 2001 that there is never anything totally out of the blue.
Conditional probability was fully integrated with Normal Distribution in this year's exam, something which never came up before.
BBeyond
Badges: 15
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by 雷尼克)
Conditional probability was fully integrated with Normal Distribution in this year's exam, something which never came up before.
Yes it has, they've asked a similar question a few times.
雷尼克
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by BBeyond)
Yes it has, they've asked a similar question a few times.
okay maybe it has but i was going by the word of my maths teacher because thats what he said
AlmostNotable
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
S1 is a joke. I learnt it in one week and got 98 UMS. I don't think these people have done S1 or M2 before.
Prince Kappa
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
M2 isn't very interesting. I'd say S1, the stuff you learn is very useful (probability, normal distribution etc)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
21.69%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
13.25%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
4.82%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (14)
16.87%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (17)
20.48%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
22.89%

Watched Threads