Anyone else against the Migrant Crises?

Watch
Lyserg
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm sympathetic to their struggles but I don't believe letting any of them in will resolve the issue in the long term. Besides, the UK needs to focus on its own problems before helping others.

The government should be uncompromising in their stance, send gunboats whatever it takes to actively deter future migrants from putting their lives in danger. Let's stop guilt tripping Europeans who have little control over the issue, whereas the parents of those children who died were aware of the risks and yet still put there children in danger.

With this detterent I think there should be a short term increase in emergency funding for the 25,000. But that's it. Anyone else?
aliendays
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nope. For one, it's not a migrant crisis. It's a refugee crisis.

Speaking long term, the UK plays a massive part in illegally invading and setting up puppet regimes in these countries. The UK sells weapons to 26 out of 28 countries the Foreign Office has blacklisted as 'human rights abusers' - we are literally profiting from genocide and war which is why the crisis will never stop - because of us partly.

Considering we have caused so much of it. I think we have a massive responsibility to take in as many refugee's as possible at the moment. Also, to relieve the burden on other EU countries. It's only fair.

I don't see borders when I look at the world. That's our people too that are risking their lives to get our help. We should be welcoming them with open arms after successfully escaping such brutal conditions.

In my opinion, before you oppose the refugee crisis you need to think: if you were in their situation, can you say for sure you would not consider fleeing the country for a better life? If no, you should be supporting them.
Dejomony
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I do kind of agree that the UK needs to sort the country out before helping everybody else, but this is just like any other scenario (national crisis japan tsunami etc) where all countries need to step in and help out. If we do not let migrants in then they will keep trying to cross then be sent back and 1/2 more like drown at sea. All those bodies are washing up on the shores and I hate to say this but you are left with a load of dead bodies and do not know where to bury or who they are. The UK has it light. the countries on borderline with the Med sea have it worse greece, italy etc they are constantly getting migrants in huge unstable boats and their coast guards are getting blamed when these fringly boats packed to the brim with migrants are sinking.
Paralove
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
These people of course know the risks they're taking to get to Europe - look at the thousands of people dying getting here, drowning in the Mediterranean... They wouldn't be doing it if remaining in their home country was a better option. Fleeing your country is not something anybody does on a whim, like it was a light decision to make. They are desperate and have likely witnessed and experienced atrocities far worse than any of could even imagine, so why shouldn't they be helped? Wouldn't you want that if you were in their place?
Dejomony
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Imagine you in their shoes, you have nothing suddenly your house and family are destroyed friends and neighbours killed you are left running for you life away from a country you once loved who is not killing it's own people while the rebels are not doing any good too. To try to cross the boarder but your only way of safety is in other countries, the countries around you are having more problems than your country which limits the countries you can go to for safety. Meaning you need to be one of the thousands of migrants to deadly cross the sea to try get safety, but oh not once you reach safety you are told to **** off a go home. How you you feel, your house destroyed or incapable of going safely back their friends and family killed etc and you are being told to **** off since you are a "migrant" "taking our jobs" "assilum seeker who will do nothing but claim benefits". You also got to be weary as you could also be tricked into human trafficking. The world is a harsh place and will get harsher if we do not help everybody out.
Treypound
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I blame the illuminati

Posted from TSR Mobile
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
For me they stop being refugees the minute they travel beyond a safe country (possibly Turkey, definitely Greece) where they should claim asylum. The minute they pay smugglers thousands of Euros to get them to Germany, Sweden or the UK they become migrants, with no legal right to be where they are. None of the people currently in Greece, Hungary or any of the other European countries is in any danger and they are obviously not, as some would try and have us believe, fleeing for their lives.

I am perfectly happy for the UK to accept genuine refugees (eg from refugee camps in Turkey), indeed it is our legal and moral duty to do so. What I find unacceptable is to open our borders just because of the volume of people heading this way. They should not be allowed to pick their destination - genuine refugees would be happy with a new life in a safe country. If they thought they would be resettled in Guatemala, Greenland or Taiwan do you think they would be heading across Europe as they are?
LenaSim
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Wake up people they're economic migrants not refugees, war has been tearing their country apart for years and if they really were desperate they wouldn't fight the authorities, cross borders illegally, refuse taking asylum in perfectly safe countries and the list goes on...
Maker
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I agree the country needs sorting out, we could get rid of unsympathetic people who don't care about others even if they have been brutalised and killed and trying to find safety and a better life and only think of themselves.
Rorschach II
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Treypound)
I blame the illuminati

Posted from TSR Mobile
-.-
TheGuyReturns
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by aliendays)
you should be supporting them.
How noble of the privileged middle class to demand that working class areas take countless refugees. :rolleyes:
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Lyserg)
I'm sympathetic to their struggles but I don't believe letting any of them in will resolve the issue in the long term. Besides, the UK needs to focus on its own problems before helping others.

The government should be uncompromising in their stance, send gunboats whatever it takes to actively deter future migrants from putting their lives in danger. Let's stop guilt tripping Europeans who have little control over the issue, whereas the parents of those children who died were aware of the risks and yet still put there children in danger.

With this detterent I think there should be a short term increase in emergency funding for the 25,000. But that's it. Anyone else?
Firstly, as others have said, the current focus is on refugees, not migrants.

Secondly, of course this isn't going to solve the problem in the long term. Nobody is claiming it is. But whilst solving the issue in the long-term is important, in the short term, we've got hundreds of thousands of absolutely desperate people who are fleeing unimaginable horrors and who need help, now. You can't just get tunnel vision and ignore desperate immediate needs in the name of solving issues in the long term.
financier__
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Couldn't give a **** about them. Working in the city, I have to see them at marble arch and I look down at them with disgust. As long as they stay the **** away from my optimal route to canary wharf, I don't care.
GodAtum
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I dont undertsand why our country needs to help. Surely the UN should be doing something? Dont we give millions away in Aid anyway?
Mr JB
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No. I am pro-humanity and therefore think that people come before profits and economic gain. That must seem alien to some morally corrupt people in today's world.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I agree with you OP.

When we put aside rash emotional judgments the fact is that these people are largely uneducated and Muslim.
Lyserg
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I've since updated my opinion.

At the most where the UK is being generous - I believe the fairest compromise and also solution would be for the UK to grant temporary asylum funded by redirecting humantarian funds into things like accomodation, legal advice, etc. So migrants would have to find an alternative long term arrangement after a fair period of residence in the UK.
amiatroll
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Speaking long term, the UK plays a massive part in illegally invading and setting up puppet regimes in these countries. The UK sells weapons to 26 out of 28 countries the Foreign Office has blacklisted as 'human rights abusers' - we are literally profiting from genocide and war which is why the crisis will never stop - because of us partly.

Considering we have caused so much of it. I think we have a massive responsibility to take in as many refugee's as possible at the moment. Also, to relieve the burden on other EU countries. It's only fair.

I don't see borders when I look at the world. That's our people too that are risking their lives to get our help. We should be welcoming them with open arms after successfully escaping such brutal conditions.

In my opinion, before you oppose the refugee crisis you need to think: if you were in their situation, can you say for sure you would not consider fleeing the country for a better life? If no, you should be supporting them.
Escaping their brutal conditions in eastern European countries? I don't think so.

You don't see borders? I hope you realise that the very lack of sensible borders in the middle east is a huge cause in middle east tensions.

They are economic migrants once they leave the safety of the first nation they escaped to for improved prosperity. I wouldn't be running anywhere any time soon as the UK is actually stable. Won't be for long if we carry on this ridiculous social experiment of multiculturalism and just let anyone in.
earthworm
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I dont think that any serious person is in favour of the refugee crisis , people differ in how it should be resolved.
KimKallstrom
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Please explain, specifically, how we caused the conflict in Syria and whatever it is in Eritrea this happening. I say Eritrea because Eritreans make up the second highest amount of the migrants.

When did we "illegally invade" these places?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (73)
27.76%
No - I have already returned home (30)
11.41%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (54)
20.53%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (28)
10.65%
No - I live at home during term anyway (78)
29.66%

Watched Threads