when I do my past papers, i always get a "B"

considering my coursework marks, overall, I will get about a "C"

Please tell me how you revise....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illumintai)
    when I do my past papers, i always get a "B"

considering my coursework marks, overall, I will get about a "C"

learn all the things you drop marks on and spend most time on them, read over past papers and mark schemes and look for the answers examiners want. what papers are you doing and what exam board?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illumintai)
    I read.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    learn all the things you drop marks on and spend most time on them, read over past papers and mark schemes and look for the answers examiners want. what papers are you doing and what exam board?
    Edexcel: Salters Horners

Taking All of it. got B in AS modules.

retaking all AS units. have "C" in my AS coursework.

got 30% on my A2 coursework which is 50% of one of 6 units.

I really cant believe this.

I am so confident on getting A in Maths and Further Maths.

And Physics...........hu...PANIC

ReputationRep:
    How to break it down:

Definitions: Learn them until you turn blue in the face. Whether you agree with them or not, JUST PUT WHAT THE EXAM BOARD WANTS!

e.g.
    1) A photon is a "packet of energy"
    2) 1eV (electronvolt) is "the energy possessed by 1 electron accelerated through a potential difference of 1V.

etc.

Calculations: Do practice questions manipulating the formulae until you have tackled every type they could throw at you. Use past papers, your textbook(s), online questions, and revision giudes.

The accuracy will come with practice, and with the aid of your maths.

Extended Written Responses: BE CONCISE!
    - learn to use bullet points - examiners hate unnecesary waffle!
    - practise looking at the mark scheme, thinking through the question, and making the right number of relevant points
    - to know what kind of things to say, study exemplar responses and mark-schemes to discern the format and pattern of response they want to these questions (this varies by exam board, I believe)
    - remember to use technical language where possible

Synopsis:
    To improve your overall confidence with the content to the module, read through ALL of your notes, decide what you know, and what you need to reinforce, then make condensed notes with select points and diagrams.
    This will make you PROPERLY READ your notes, rather than skim through them, as it gives a prupose to the reading, and makes you evaluate material.

A module can ideally fit on 4 A4 sides this way, certainly in physics anyway.

Whenever you need to a refresher on a particular point, these notes should have a clear, logical layout that will bring you up-to-speed. They should also be the ideal thing to glance at before the exam - they will look manageable - so there will be no "information overload".

Use spider diagrams if they help you. (I hate them)

I hope this helps direct your efforts.

ReputationRep:
    dya rekon 2days 4 elec and thermal, an medical physics is enuff 2 revise, to get a 'C', tel me sum ova tipz, coz i cant learn d whole book in 2 dayz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -mb-)
    How to break it down:

Definitions: Learn them until you turn blue in the face. Whether you agree with them or not, JUST PUT WHAT THE EXAM BOARD WANTS!

e.g.
    1) A photon is a "packet of energy"
    2) 1eV (electronvolt) is "the energy possessed by 1 electron accelerated through a potential difference of 1V.

etc.

Calculations: Do practice questions manipulating the formulae until you have tackled every type they could throw at you. Use past papers, your textbook(s), online questions, and revision giudes.

The accuracy will come with practice, and with the aid of your maths.

Extended Written Responses: BE CONCISE!
    - learn to use bullet points - examiners hate unnecesary waffle!
    - practise looking at the mark scheme, thinking through the question, and making the right number of relevant points
    - to know what kind of things to say, study exemplar responses and mark-schemes to discern the format and pattern of response they want to these questions (this varies by exam board, I believe)
    - remember to use technical language where possible

Synopsis:
    To improve your overall confidence with the content to the module, read through ALL of your notes, decide what you know, and what you need to reinforce, then make condensed notes with select points and diagrams.
    This will make you PROPERLY READ your notes, rather than skim through them, as it gives a prupose to the reading, and makes you evaluate material.

A module can ideally fit on 4 A4 sides this way, certainly in physics anyway.

Whenever you need to a refresher on a particular point, these notes should have a clear, logical layout that will bring you up-to-speed. They should also be the ideal thing to glance at before the exam - they will look manageable - so there will be no "information overload".

Use spider diagrams if they help you. (I hate them)

I hope this helps direct your efforts.
    Thanks mate.

Well.. I shall begin my 50 hours non-stop revision now...

I have, once, revised for two days without sleep and came 4th in my 350 year group school.

But revising Physics in ENGLISH is quite challenging. cos I loose concentration so easily..

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.