The Student Room Group

Bf had an argument with his mum and now wants to move in with me?!

Hi everyone,

So my boyfriend and I have been together now for about 4 months, I'm 24 and live in my own place, 2 bedroom house and rent the second bedroom for some extra cash. He is 25 and lives with his parents.

Ever since he started his relationship with me, things are a little strained at home with his relationship with his parents, such as how he spends most of his time with me, hardly at home , doesn't tidy his room etc etc (his parents do like me though).

A couple of days ago, he had a massive argument with his mum, starting off with cleaning out his room, which escalated into her slapping him, and him saying he's going to leave, to which his mum said "good, leave".

His money is tight, which is why at 25, he is still at home with his parents. Now obviously, he's stuck...and he's asking to stay with me?! :frown: There's not enough space in my house for a third person, we are still at the beginning stages of our relationship, and I enjoy my personal space at home! However, I feel like because he is my boyfriend, I need to step up and help him? I don't know how long this fall out will be, and he isn't in a financially strong position to rent somewhere else any time soon. I have tried to ask him to apologize and make up with his mum, but he refuses and said it's "gone too far" and he's not about "getting slapped at 25".

HELLPPPP
Let him know you are not comfortable and ask if he is going to be financially independent in terms of rent, food etc.
Ask him if he can get a job or something x
First of all his mum sounds horrible. She has no right to use physical violence on him and you may want to recommend to your boyfriend that you file a complaint with the police - assault is a crime.

Personally my belief is that you should let him stay with you for a while. I'm sure he'd be grateful for a place to stay, whether it be sleeping on the sofa or simply some blankets on the floor.
While you haven't got any duty or obligation to help him out, I think it would be a nice thing to do considering that his involvement with you all the time may have contributed to this fallout (not saying it's your fault at all, I'm just pointing out he must like you a lot).
Obviously you could set up a few ground rules and ensure he helps clean, cook and keep the place tidy in return for letting him stay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Hard choice. Is he really committed to you and won't be using you as a waiting area until he gets back on his feet? You'll come across as a bitch if you say no but at the same time saying yes means you've automatically escalated your relationship and it may be to levels which you're both not ready for.

How long have you known him? If it's just 4 months, that's not nearly enough time to know someone well enough to know you'll get along with them if saw eachother day in, day out.
Maybe offer to let him stay there for a few days until things cool down, but make it clear that he can't move in because there isn't enough space and persuade him to make up with his parents, maybe by pointing out that financially it's going to be very difficult and you don't want to see him never speaking to his parents again. If you do decide to do this and he doesn't seem to be doing anything, set a deadline I suppose.
Reply 5
I'd like to think I'd help out a friend who needs a floor to sleep on after something like that, let alone a boyfriend/girlfriend.

I've put up my wife's brother & mother in our house for 3-4 months this summer because they were stuck between houses trying to move. It's been bloody awful even though we had space bedroom wise. If it was someone I actually liked spending time with, I'd be more open to doing it again lol.

Personally, I'd make it clear that you aren't comfortable with him "moving in", and make it clear that the relationship isn't at that stage. I'd say an easy way of doing this would be to let him sleep on the sofa or something similar. That makes a clear statement: It's temporary, and he's not "moving in with you", i.e. sleeping in your bed.

To turn him away when he's in need... well, I'd ask why you are in a relationship with him if you can't stand to loose a little bit of privacy/space and take a small inconvenience to pretty much save him from being homeless and an abusive situation.
Reply 6
Original post by phoenixsilver
First of all his mum sounds horrible. She has no right to use physical violence on him and you may want to recommend to your boyfriend that you file a complaint with the police - assault is a crime.

Personally my belief is that you should let him stay with you for a while. I'm sure he'd be grateful for a place to stay, whether it be sleeping on the sofa or simply some blankets on the floor.
While you haven't got any duty or obligation to help him out, I think it would be a nice thing to do considering that his involvement with you all the time may have contributed to this fallout (not saying it's your fault at all, I'm just pointing out he must like you a lot).
Obviously you could set up a few ground rules and ensure he helps clean, cook and keep the place tidy in return for letting him stay.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, his family is Caribbean. So physical violence is pretty normal in that type of family, everyone gets slapped around as a child as part of their discipline technique. The fact that this happened at 25, when it hasn't happened in the last 8-9 years or so, is what's got to him. I don't mind him staying with me, but it's just that I do like my own space, and he's brought this on himself by threatening to leave him saying "I'll find somewhere else" knowing fully well his job lets him break even every month. And even now when I tell him to make amends, he refuses - pick your battles!

Original post by Mumbaiking
Hard choice. Is he really committed to you and won't be using you as a waiting area until he gets back on his feet? You'll come across as a bitch if you say no but at the same time saying yes means you've automatically escalated your relationship and it may be to levels which you're both not ready for.

How long have you known him? If it's just 4 months, that's not nearly enough time to know someone well enough to know you'll get along with them if saw eachother day in, day out.

I have known him since I was about 13, we went to the same secondary school, hardly spoke, then 5 months ago he approached me on facebook again to say hi. I'm sure he is committed to me, I just hate the idea that he is calling bluff and playing this hand when he can't.

Original post by Hanvyj
I'd like to think I'd help out a friend who needs a floor to sleep on after something like that, let alone a boyfriend/girlfriend.

I've put up my wife's brother & mother in our house for 3-4 months this summer because they were stuck between houses trying to move. It's been bloody awful even though we had space bedroom wise. If it was someone I actually liked spending time with, I'd be more open to doing it again lol.

Personally, I'd make it clear that you aren't comfortable with him "moving in", and make it clear that the relationship isn't at that stage. I'd say an easy way of doing this would be to let him sleep on the sofa or something similar. That makes a clear statement: It's temporary, and he's not "moving in with you", i.e. sleeping in your bed.

To turn him away when he's in need... well, I'd ask why you are in a relationship with him if you can't stand to loose a little bit of privacy/space and take a small inconvenience to pretty much save him from being homeless and an abusive situation.

I suppose I can put him up for a while, yes. His job situation wont get better any time soon. My hope is that he makes up with his mum asap - because it's an issue. I wonder if he would have said these words before he met me, and knew he did have a back up place to stay. Things like this are going through my mind.

Overall, I don't like the situation, and I don't like the fact that the decision has been made without me (i.e. I have to say yes).
Reply 7
You don't have to say yes at all. But being in a relationship comes with sacrifices. You could choose to say no to those sacrifices and just hope things turn out okay.

Maybe he wouldn't have done it if he didn't have a girlfriend who he thought would support him. But that's part of the package... If you don't like it then it's your choice.
Original post by stargirl63
Well, his family is Caribbean. So physical violence is pretty normal in that type of family, everyone gets slapped around as a child as part of their discipline technique. The fact that this happened at 25, when it hasn't happened in the last 8-9 years or so, is what's got to him. I don't mind him staying with me, but it's just that I do like my own space, and he's brought this on himself by threatening to leave him saying "I'll find somewhere else" knowing fully well his job lets him break even every month. And even now when I tell him to make amends, he refuses - pick your battles!

I have known him since I was about 13, we went to the same secondary school, hardly spoke, then 5 months ago he approached me on facebook again to say hi. I'm sure he is committed to me, I just hate the idea that he is calling bluff and playing this hand when he can't.

I suppose I can put him up for a while, yes. His job situation wont get better any time soon. My hope is that he makes up with his mum asap - because it's an issue. I wonder if he would have said these words before he met me, and knew he did have a back up place to stay. Things like this are going through my mind.

Overall, I don't like the situation, and I don't like the fact that the decision has been made without me (i.e. I have to say yes).

You don't have to say yes. It's a part of life. If you were in his situation, I'm sure you would be grateful to be put up for a while.
While you certainly don't have to have him staying with you, don't expect him to think very highly of you afterwards - after all, part of the point of a relationship is that you are there to help and support the other person. I'm sure he'd rather stay with you for a while and gain back some assets as opposed as opposed to living on the streets - but you can't expect him to make up with his mother after she spoke to him like that and slapped him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending