Plymouth University Halls Internet Speeds?

Watch
Hwingfield
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey all, I've been looking absolutely everywhere on the internet as it's semi-important for me. What are the internet speeds like for the university-run halls for Plymouth Uni? I've seen posts from this site for like 4 years ago saying that the speeds are rubbish and the internet is restrictive but I went for an advice day back in April and someone staying in the Hall I'm in said it's the opposite but didn't go into any detail.
Does anyone have the exact/rough speeds? The Halls guide 2014/2015 doesn't provide any of this kind of info.

also noteworthy; I start there in 2 weeks
khutchens888
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey,

I lived in Alexandra Works last year and the internet was very good and consistent (20mb), you could even upgrade to 40mb if you wanted. As for the other halls nearer to uni, they share the Eduroam connection and can be quite temperamental from my experience, however they give a decent enough speed for watching videos or some gaming if that's all you're after. As for restrictions, my friends who lived on campus were never restricted as far as I know!

Hope you have a great start to Uni at Plymouth!

Kyle
Hwingfield
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by khutchens888)
Hey,

I lived in Alexandra Works last year and the internet was very good and consistent (20mb), you could even upgrade to 40mb if you wanted. As for the other halls nearer to uni, they share the Eduroam connection and can be quite temperamental from my experience, however they give a decent enough speed for watching videos or some gaming if that's all you're after. As for restrictions, my friends who lived on campus were never restricted as far as I know!

Kyle
Thanks
That's not bad actually, I'm gunna be in Mary Newman so I'll be on this Eduroam connection.
I was hoping for something really good (like superfast or something) because I wouldn't mind streaming and gaming when possible but I can make do :P
It says in the internet guide thing that the speed to each room is up to 10mbps but that's a guide which has been generalised for all halls it seems.
There was also a speed test of the actual campus speeds online that I just found and the speeds varied quite a lot between about 20mbps and 70mbps
guess there's nothing set in stone still but at least I have some idea, so thanks again!
Bobbysmile
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by khutchens888)
Hey,

Kyle
Hi, i'm in Alexandra works this year, and I wondered if you recall if there was wired internet as well or only the wireless? Also anything worth sharing about the hall, people seem to say mixed things, but a lot of the information is back from 2013?
khutchens888
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There is both, I used Ethernet for my PC last year! And I really enjoyed living there, met some great people! It not as dirty or scruffy as people say, it's next to a coop for shopping, the walk to uni is refreshing and good excercise! The rooms are spacious and the showers are great!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (221)
60.88%
No (76)
20.94%
Not sure (66)
18.18%

Watched Threads